UpLift Vancouver

FAILs in Transit Systems

Post any EPIC FAILs that have happened in any transit systems here.

I will start off with 2 FAILs in 2 weeks, both on the SkyTrain

1. July 12, 2014 - A switch malfunction on the Expo Line just outside of Nanaimo Station, this malfunction caused major train jam on the line that me and a few other members got caught in (in my case, my train got stuck just outside of Commercial-Broadway station, other members got stuck in other locations up and down the line from me) Once my train pulled into the station after 15 to 20 minutes of being stuck, I just switched over to the Millennium Line to get around the mess.

2. July 17, 2014 - I heard from other users and TransLink's twitter feed that a computer glitch had knocked about half of the Expo Line out, taking a small section of the Millennium Line out with it. From what I heard, this system wide halt made a GIANT mess as people had to wait a LONG time to board a replacement bus. If anyone has pics of this particular mess, they are welcome to post them here as well.

Sent from my iPod touch via Tapatalk

Well, IIRC, this happened back in like 2000 or 1999...

Everything between metrotown and Surrey was slow order. Trains were only going 30kph. I remember crying because I thought train 148 was going to crash into us at 22nd st EB. I Also remember that at the West portal at the columbia tunnel, we had to reverse back to new westminster. There was a train on the WB Track that was pacing with us too. (My train was on the EB track.

Post any EPIC FAILs that have happened in any transit systems here.

2. July 17, 2014 - I heard from other users and TransLink's twitter feed that a computer glitch had knocked about half of the Expo Line out, taking a small section of the Millennium Line out with it. From what I heard, this system wide halt made a GIANT mess as people had to wait a LONG time to board a replacement bus. If anyone has pics of this particular mess, they are welcome to post them here as well.

kGpQa0n.jpg?1

7XJKYpx.jpg?1

B8081 and B8016

azytXNT.jpg?1

S7327

HVZnj12.jpg?1

UeYQHor.jpg?1

Oh and a fail would be the creation of Translink.

I've got quite a couple of epic fails for you guys. They're all from Mountain Metropolitan Transit of Colorado Springs.

November 2013: A sudden snowstorm throws the entire system way behind schedule. They decided to deadhead all buses to the end of their routes and resume normal service. Many passengers, myself included, had to wait at the downtown terminal for over an hour to get a bus.

April 2014: Service changes split route 14 into two routes; routes 14 and 34. The split was intended to improve on-time performance, but the opposite occured as the new 14 could not make any connections when the route got busy. Plus, the new 14 didn't run on Saturday and the new route 34 only had Saturday service from 6-10AM and 2:30-7PM. They created a new route in May 2014 to help solve the on-time performance problems, plus provide service to a new VA clinic. It worked to some extent, but route 14 still misses connections in the afternoon. They really need to interline the 14 and 34 if they want to solve route 14's on-time performance problem permanently.

A few years ago, in Ottawa, the Mackenzie King Bridge was down to 2 lanes (as the opposite side was closed for repaving, normally 4 lanes). Mackenzie King Bridge, as most who have been to Ottawa know, is the heart of our Transitway through Downtown. Well during this construction, the backlog was horrible. One day, during the middle of rush hour, one of our D60LFs decided to call it quits right in the middle of it, and wouldn't move. It caused a huge backlog of buses since they couldn't get around it, and they needed to back in the tow truck from one end in order to take it out.

I don't have any photos, but it was quite a scene.

Ooh, Bratislava has had their share of these!

In the summer of 2013, they reconstructed a segment of trolley wire through a major intersection that allowed them to have both way service through that major intersection (previously, westbound buses would go through, terminate on a nearby side street (which they still do), and heading eastbound they would take another side street back into the city.) Well, when the wire opened, they introduced a series of new service changes, including cutting back a route (the 22) which served a hospital in the area to a TESCO store 1 km away from said intersection. Though it is only 1 km, the street in question is very pedestrian unfriendly and the supposed "replacement" for the 22 was existing scheduled detours of an express bus route 63 into the TESCO Parking Lot. Detours that only begin after 9 AM on weekdays! So between 5 - 9, they are basically SOL! To get to said major intersection would involve some backtracking.

Oh yeah, and the 22 was renumbered to 120 for no clear reason.

There was a recent reconstruction that they did of a street near the city center. They were planning on having big bus platforms here to integrate regional and city transportation. Whereas previously cars were not allowed on the streetcar tracks here, after the reconstruction they are now allowed. Yeah, that's not going to make congestion worse than they already are.

About last week at about 11PM, SF Muni's N Judah was said to come in 26 minutes instead of the normal 8 minutes. The T Third Street said 18 minutes. After 10 minutes, the N Judah came, but I was waiting at the T Third Street stop. (The 26 minute thing had not changed for the N Judah). About 20 Minutes later, a train that said "Sorry, No Passengers" arrived on the T Third Street line. The next T wasn't for about another 20-25 minutes. Some other dude and I were pissed and ended up getting another N Judah that was said to have come later. The T Third Street train basically would have never came on time that night.

the 301 was detoured today, causing me and a few other passengers who were waiting for it to get angry after 9223 drove past, "missed" the turn onto 84th, and continued down Scott Road.

I called Transit Info right after the bus drove by and left us behind to wait an hour, which revealed the reason for this happening - if it weren't for the detour, I wouldn't have ended up on the same bus as Metro Van Transit Fan (WIN!)

the 301 was detoured today, causing me and a few other passengers who were waiting for it to get angry after 9223 drove past, "missed" the turn onto 84th, and continued down Scott Road.

I called Transit Info right after the bus drove by and left us behind to wait an hour, which revealed the reason for this happening - if it weren't for the detour, I wouldn't have ended up on the same bus as Metro Van Transit Fan (WIN!)

7453 or 7290 ?

Nvm.

Repaving on 72nd avenue made a HUGE mess of traffic earlier, and I got caught in it.

Here's the FAIL from TransLink that relates to this mess:

The road work had 72 ave and 122 street partially blocked off, cutting off routes 319 and 301. I was on board S9223 on line 301 at around 8:00PM when I got caught in the resulting traffic jam. As We approached 72 ave and 122 street heading west, I notice a no right turn sign, but that was where the bus was supposed to go. The first thing I did was send a tweet out to TransLink notifying them of the detour, which took us into Scottsdale Exchange via Scott Road. They check T-Comm, and I get a reply shortly after entering Scottsdale Exchange saying there was no detour, but they were right about the traffic jam.

They really need to keep a better eye on any upcoming road work to notify passengers faster about these things.

Saskatoon transit is a fail. Not enough buses last week, a bus got stolen by a 9 year old boy, and we bought 20 used buses from Calgary, and they are already 23 years old...

FAIL on the Expo Line earlier...

I was on board a train pulling into Gateway Station headed for Scott Road. a few seconds after the train enters the station, I hear a loud buzzer go off and the train grind to a halt when it was just a few feet off from its normal stopping position. I immediately assumed that some stupid idiot decided to drop a piece of trash into the tracks. I go "S***" right when the train stops, and head for the nearest intercom panel to ask "What the **** is going on?". before I get there, a security guard pops out of the elevator and checks for damage, retrieves whatever it was that the person dropped, then the train starts running normally and continue on our way. at least we were only stuck there for 5 minutes, unlike the last train jam that I got stuck in (see post #1), which left me stuck there for 20 minutes.

another major FAIL from TransLink:

cancelling a run on a route that runs hourly which also happens to be a vital connection for some people

that happened to me today with the 301 getting cancelled, forcing me to take the 319. other people took alternate routes to get between KPU's Surrey and Richmond campuses because of the mess that one cancellation caused this evening.

Here's one on the TTC. The Scarborough RT (now aka Line 3) suffered a power surge in 1999 and that caused the SRT train to stop unexpectedly before it pulled into a station. Unfortch, I wasn't on it, but a headline from CP24 said a power spike was the culprit and had one train go to the tailtrack at Kennedy Station.

Here's the another good one, Transit Windsor had big fail Today with there 10min service on the Transway 1C. the 2:00 and 2:15 didn't show up but when bus did show up there 2 buses one stop the other kept going. The Transway 1C and the Tunnel Bus are the biggest Fails of Transit Windsor.

^ I don't think that would consider as a fail :P

I remember once at Guildford, B8013 ( I think ) put up 128 BRAID STN and I was gonna snap a pic of it, but this kid had to stand right in front of me while taking a pic, then the driver changed it back to 96 B-LINE NEWTON EXCH.

here's the aftermath of a fallen lamp post at Newton this morning. Ninja overheard from some bus drivers that a bus had backed into it by accident, bringing it down. I first ran across this mess after getting off S9228 (which is parked in the background)

20141020_073013-fix.jpg