Winnipeg Transit Battery Electric Buses

DavidW

24 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

Awesome to see the union get behind electric buses!

Winnipeg Transit is, in my opinion, completely absent in looking forward to the future, and a variety of other players are trying to fill the void. The ATU is one of several players which are meeting regularly to work on plans for the future of transit in Winnipeg and how to promote them.

As I understand it the plans for the Eastern Corridor include a "baked-in" proposal for electrification with battery-electric buses (including the new garage off Nairn).  I think that's a good thing but it also speaks to Winnipeg Transit's view that electrification is a huge mountain to climb, not an incremental change.  The pilot project that started in 2014 put Winnipeg in the forefront of electrification (even if Winnipeg Transit had to be cornered into participating).  Since then momentum has completely ended in Winnipeg and future developments will be in other cities and other provinces. 

Winnipeg Transit, as an organization, is the diametric opposite of innovative or progressive. They are so adverse to change they are paralyzed into inaction, on every front.  While I think it is part of their job to inject rational discussion where it's needed, instead they are just this inert heap of lead blocking everything.  And they just lost one of their most progressive professionals...  (It's only getting worse).

I've spent the last two or three years going to various meetings and participating in various working groups, and there is plenty of innovative thinking out there. It's just not allowed inside 421 Osborne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Winnipeg Transit is, in my opinion, completely absent in looking forward to the future, and a variety of other players are trying to fill the void. The ATU is one of several players which are meeting regularly to work on plans for the future of transit in Winnipeg and how to promote them.

As I understand it the plans for the Eastern Corridor include a "baked-in" proposal for electrification with battery-electric buses (including the new garage off Nairn).  I think that's a good thing but it also speaks to Winnipeg Transit's view that electrification is a huge mountain to climb, not an incremental change.  The pilot project that started in 2014 put Winnipeg in the forefront of electrification (even if Winnipeg Transit had to be cornered into participating).  Since then momentum has completely ended in Winnipeg and future developments will be in other cities and other provinces. 

Winnipeg Transit, as an organization, is the diametric opposite of innovative or progressive. They are so adverse to change they are paralyzed into inaction, on every front.  While I think it is part of their job to inject rational discussion where it's needed, instead they are just this inert heap of lead blocking everything.  And they just lost one of their most progressive professionals...  (It's only getting worse).

I've spent the last two or three years going to various meetings and participating in various working groups, and there is plenty of innovative thinking out there. It's just not allowed inside 421 Osborne.

Wow, thanks for filling us in so well.

What a shame, WInnipeg with its hydro electricity has extra advantages in pursuing electrification of transit.

Citizen and political pressure has the power to light a fire where there is nothing but paralysis.

• 1 month later...

I was at New Flyer Monday and there were four of the blue electric units parked out back on the south side of Kernaghan. Three had identifiable Winnipeg Transit fleet numbers. 998 and 997 and (I think) 995. They were partly disassembled.  

I was told they were being exchanged for (or maybe upgraded to) current spec units. The implication was that the units Winnipeg was getting would have the longer charge (7 hour?) batteries, and be switched to New Flyer's new charging configuration (pantograph on the charge station instead of on the bus).

It all sounds good to me that New Flyer and Winnipeg Transit would advance the vehicles technically rather than leave the Winnipeg pilot project at 2014 specifications.

As I indicated... it's not clear to me if these units are being refurbished or replaced.

I've had some conversations with folks involved in day-to-day operation of the Winnipeg pilot project and almost all of their stories revolve around problems with the charging unit.

I myself have observed operators who have had trouble positioning the bus correctly. I saw one driver raise the pantograph and head into the airport terminal, only to return 20 minutes later and discover no charging had taken place. Another account told to me was of an operator who positioned the bus perfectly to hook the raised pantograph on the lip of the charger. Since the bus won't move with the panto up, and the hooked panto wouldn't come down, a tow truck had to be called to shift the bus six inches or so.

They also had an incident of an overheight truck ignoring the Do Not Enter signs and colliding with the charging unit.

New Flyer probably learned a lot from the pilot. Maybe more than they expected ?.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, bus is coming 1965 said:

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Do you know where 994 could be?

I did notice one of the electrics moving around Fort Rouge Garage yesterday. It was too far away to see the number.

• Thanks 1

Another shot of the scene at New Flyer, similar to bus is coming 1965's post of May 19th.

winnipeg-NFelectrics-daw2018may21.thumb.jpg.943ff0ff031f8293f642032ebf07a844.jpg

Taken Victoria Day, Monday 21 May 2018.  It shows 998, 997, and 995 at New Flyer alongside a fourth unit with no visible number. Note that 995 is significantly disassembled.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/electric-buses-return-to-winnipeg-streets-after-49-years-1.2629788

Just read the above article, years later. Its a glaring error that they never bothered to correct in all these years (2014). I wrote a complaint, but I don't know if they'll correct it. Everyone here knows the last trolleybus was October, 1970 on the Corydon-North Main route, not sometime in 1965.

10 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

I can  confirm  That the pink XE40 is indeed 99409EB5200-9982-4279-AE96-779398B7ED69.thumb.jpeg.64860fb4eff89b6e1860e80cb38eaa5c.jpeg91C0CD4B-062B-4CD2-A94E-2FA9D35BB15B.thumb.jpeg.1edd19298b3e7fa895379a7846eeb812.jpeg

Well I guess if they picked Blue for the first runs, now they gotta repaint in Pink, just to be equal. (sigh).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I emailed the Mayor's office on the weekend and today received a response from a WT Customer Service Rep.

16 buses, IF we get federal funding....

4 batt. electric 40 footers

4 hydrogen - battery 40 footers

4 batt. electric 60 footers

4 hydrogen  - battery 60 footers

These would all be delivered in 2022.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...