CMBC transit operator application and training: Questions and Answers

55 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I think all diesel buses will be replaced by Battery-Electric buses before TransLink even considers replacing trolleys, I think the only expensive bits to the network are the wires themselves (about $1 million per km of copper wiring) and the generators that power the wires, other than that it's pretty much the same price, if not cheaper than the Battery-Electric buses.

What are the worst routes to drive in Metro Van? I figure if/when I do become an operator I'd try to drive the worst routes that no one really wants first so that I hopefully never have to drive them again.

Trolleys are on their way out - give it a few more years and they'll be long gone before the diesels are replaced.

Routes are only as bad as you make them to be.  I know lots of drivers who drive routes that other drivers deem "undesirable" such as night runs through East Hastings - yet they have no problem with the passengers or routes.  Its your attitude that makes a route difficult or not. CMBC has a pretty decent scheduling system compared to other companies in BC - most senior drivers are more attentive to what days they want off and what kind of hours they want to work as opposed to the routes.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, 8010 said:

Also, what if you only have a reference or two because you've worked one or two jobs for a couple years? Is that fine?

Apply and find out.  If you only have two references, thats all you have.  Unless you're frequently in and out of jobs getting three is next to impossible.  Having fewer references because of your long term employment with another company is more preferable than a bunch of references if you keep bouncing in and out of jobs.

But then again, I'm old school.  Hiring practices have changed over the years.  It used to be nice and simple, you went in somewhere, asked for the manager, gave them your resume and they asked when you can start.  The process they use today, online applications, video interviews, asking you why you prefer the colour blue over the colour red is just preventing decent applicants getting jobs in an unnecessarily drawn out process that has no proven benefits to the company or applicants.

• Like 2
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure of any timelines, but we seem to be hiring a significant number of drivers at the moment.  I think it would depend on how many trainees have successfully completed the pre-employment screenin

Not sure about the reference. But for driving routes there is no definite answer to that, they give route training to new operators and if you move depots. Also if your on spareboard you can get any

The battery electric buses should spell the end for diesel buses. Trolleys can detour using EPU, for such things as road blockages and the like. For planned detours (road races and such) other buses c

I can't imagine night runs through Hastings being all that bad, if the 14 ran later at night I would honestly consider driving late evening runs on it, or even doing the N35, I don't have any problems with passengers and I enjoy talking to people so doing any run on any route would probably be fine with me.

I guess what I mean by "worst" is what routes are slow, constantly stuck in traffic, and have a hard time maintaing their schedule? (Like the 480)

I know that 3-door boarding is supposed to be used only on B-Lines but if you're running extra late and you can't short-turn anywhere are you allowed to use 3-door boarding in order to speed up the loading/unloading process and try to catch up to your schedule? I've seen it on a few other routes before.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all:

I'm an operator currently with BC Transit in Victoria. Hoping to transition over to Translink. Are there any other operators who have done the same? Can you share your experience with the application process with me please?

Be happy, Chris

Ok, how about this then. 

Is Sunday a premium day? ie: shorter shifts paid at $1.5?

Is there the opportunity to do lots of overtime?

How do the shifts set up? Are they early straights, day splits and night straights like over here? Of course our nights end much sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick question I'm a recent applicant, hoping to hear back soon if I've made it onto the shortlist for the English Comprehension Test and Customer service test portion of recruitment. I know you can't discuss specific questions related to the Customer service test but can you tell me what they are looking for in a very general sense so I can best prepare myself? IE I assume always prioritize safety, ability to diffuse any and all situations, abide by company rules, problem solve, etc.

3 hours ago, TheBCViking said:

Quick question I'm a recent applicant, hoping to hear back soon if I've made it onto the shortlist for the English Comprehension Test and Customer service test portion of recruitment. I know you can't discuss specific questions related to the Customer service test but can you tell me what they are looking for in a very general sense so I can best prepare myself? IE I assume always prioritize safety, ability to diffuse any and all situations, abide by company rules, problem solve, etc.

I am no expert on this, but I do know they look for people who are friendly, non-confrontational, and most importantly, a safe driver. With CMBC, safety is #1. Customer service, problem solving, avoiding confrontations, the ability to diffuse situations and remain cool-headed at all times are all very important. 

I cannot comment any further, as I simply do not know enough on the subject, but I hope my answer is enough for you to get an understanding what they're looking for.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, I just got to the panel interview step. It seemed rushed, and went very fast. I've now been waiting over two weeks for a response. Is this the normal wait these days? I've heard the whole application process used to take months, and now it's down to weeks.

22 hours ago, 1886 said:

Hey guys, I just got to the panel interview step. It seemed rushed, and went very fast. I've now been waiting over two weeks for a response. Is this the normal wait these days? I've heard the whole application process used to take months, and now it's down to weeks.

Knowing people that have gone thru it over the last couple of years, they've had mixed experiences.  Some people did their panel and road test the same day and got an offer the next, others have had to wait days, weeks or even months.  One person had the whole process done within a couple of weeks, others took 8 months and everything in between.

Seeing you've gone through your panel interview,  you should be hearing from them either way.  Being the end of the year and the last classes of the year are scheduled, it could just be a scheduling thing.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Often people that live out of province get accelerated interviews / testing etc so they don't have to make several trips and take big chunks of time from their current job.

I've heard that they'll do the panel and road test on the same day and then the uniform fitting and documentation signing on the same day, but the initial video test and medical are each done on separate days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1