CMBC transit operator application and training: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

A few questions.

1. If someone pukes to on the bus, what's the policy on how to deal with that?

2. I heard that when situations arise, for instance, when passengers are bothered by other passengers.for different reasons, does the company like YOU to do something about it?

3. If a passenger comes onboard that reeks and passengers complain about it, can you say anything to him?

• 1 year later...

New poster, here. First off, thanks for the opportunity to join in an incredible knowledge-filled forum. The information here is overwhelming to say the least!

Second, it's been a crazy week. After having been unemployed since the beginning of February, I've had two phone calls for job interviews plus I have finally been called to attend the customer service video test on Saturday (June 24th, 2017). My two interviews are before the testing. My question is, approximately how long is the process from video test (assuming I pass, of course) to offer of employment? I don't want to have to start one of these other jobs, only to quit them to start my CMBC training a couple of weeks later.

Not sure of any timelines, but we seem to be hiring a significant number of drivers at the moment.  I think it would depend on how many trainees have successfully completed the pre-employment screening prior to you.  Personally though, I would likely not turn down any offer of employment unless I was certain that CMBC was going to hire me in the near future ( I like to eat ).  When I got hired by BCTransit, (prior to CMBC being created), I had recently been hired with another employer.  Employers know and understand that often times employees move on to other endeavors.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Hi there! This thread is great!

My husband has been called to do the customer service test and english proficiency exam. I know you can not disclose specific questions from these tests but I am hoping you can explain a bit about what to expect. What is the format for each test? I have read that the customer service test is a video but are the answers multiple choice or written? Is it the same for the english exam?

Any insight would be much appreciated as we prepare. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, kristal said:

Hi there! This thread is great!

My husband has been called to do the customer service test and english proficiency exam. I know you can not disclose specific questions from these tests but I am hoping you can explain a bit about what to expect. What is the format for each test? I have read that the customer service test is a video but are the answers multiple choice or written? Is it the same for the english exam?

Any insight would be much appreciated as we prepare. 

Thank you!

Well good luck to him! I am sure that is very exciting news!

The customer service test has changed somewhat over the years. Before it was watching a video on 50 different customer service scenarios and choosing from a list of choices after the completion of each clip. Now theres no more videos and the questions almost cut in half to 28. However, the english proficiency test is still the same with multiple choice. There is no written response to any of the tests.

As well, on a side note, a list of references is now asked to be brought to the testing along w/ ID.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Are operators supposed to memorize the route they want to take before driving it or is it more like a "hopefully you don't suck at this" sort of thing?

Also, what if you only have a reference or two because you've worked one or two jobs for a couple years? Is that fine?

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

Are operators supposed to memorize the route they want to take before driving it or is it more like a "hopefully you don't suck at this" sort of thing?

Also, what if you only have a reference or two because you've worked one or two jobs for a couple years? Is that fine?

Not sure about the reference.

But for driving routes there is no definite answer to that, they give route training to new operators and if you move depots. Also if your on spareboard you can get any route with little or no time to study it, for example if your on stand-by (sitting at the depot waiting for work) and last minute they need someone to take a bus out you could get a route that you've never drove before. The paddle has all the turn by turn directions and which bays to stop in however it's up to you to figure it out. If you go off route (happens to everyone!) then you pull over and call tcomm for help, sometimes they will give you directions to get back on route or they will send a road supervisor to your bus.

Some operators just follow the turn by turn directions on the paddle, some bring maps to follow, some will drive the route in their personal vehicle, some ride the bus on that route, some will ask other operators who has done the route. Whatever works for you! Like I said...no definite answer! :)   

• Like 3

hey guys I have an panel interview with bc transit, I know they going to ask behavioural questions but what types and what else they ask and one more thing what kind of simulation scenario they put in front of you in operator assessment ? any help would be appreciated .I have interview next week

• 4 weeks later...

When you're assigned to a Transit Centre are you limited to what buses you can use on a route or do you have a bus assigned to you? For example: 9217 was doing multiple trips on the 480 today, which is a rare thing to happen, but I'm pretty sure that VTC does not have a shortage of trolleys and I often see Novas on the 5, 6, 10, 16, 17.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

When you're assigned to a Transit Centre are you limited to what buses you can use on a route or do you have a bus assigned to you? For example: 9217 was doing multiple trips on the 480 today, which is a rare thing to happen, but I'm pretty sure that VTC does not have a shortage of trolleys and I often see Novas on the 5, 6, 10, 16, 17.

A unit is already assigned to you before you arrive inside to get your paddle. Simply, find the lane its in and there it is :)

Yes there is somewhat of a "shortage" of trolleys atm which depicts the presence of novas

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

A unit is already assigned to you before you arrive inside to get your paddle. Simply, find the lane its in and there it is :)

A slightly more clear answer would be that the bus is assigned to the block that the operator is working.

7 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

Yes there is somewhat of a "shortage" of trolleys atm which depicts the presence of novas

I've seen the reports of trolleys coming back from refurbs, which I sound just like cosmetic jobs. But presumably some trolleys are getting full mid-life overhauls?

On 5/2/2018 at 3:48 AM, martin607 said:

I've seen the reports of trolleys coming back from refurbs, which I sound just like cosmetic jobs. But presumably some trolleys are getting full mid-life overhauls?

I'm assuming that any trolleys with driver barriers got full mid-life overhauls, I could be wrong though.

When doing training with vehicles how are the training routes determined? A few months ago I saw an E60LFR in training travelling up Davie Street from Denman and I often see training vehicles circling around Marine Drive Station.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

I'm assuming that any trolleys with driver barriers got full mid-life overhauls, I could be wrong though.

When doing training with vehicles how are the training routes determined? A few months ago I saw an E60LFR in training travelling up Davie Street from Denman and I often see training vehicles circling around Marine Drive Station.

No, not necessarily. 2502 for e,g

Theres no specific order; its at the discretion of the instructor(s) some are lucky enough to make a few loops in Surrey too once a while out of VTC :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

Barriers are being installed onto trolleys through the next year or so, same with the Xcelsiors.

Would there be barriers installed on other LFR models (D60LFRs for example) or is it because of their shorter lifespans compared to the trolleys?

35 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

No, not necessarily. 2502 for e,g

Theres no specific order; its at the discretion of the instructor(s) some are lucky enough to make a few loops in Surrey too once a while out of VTC :) 

If/when I get an operator position at CMBC I hope I get to go out into Surrey for training, in my opinion Surrey seems like more of an ideal area for training but I can understand having VTC as the training centre as operators also need to learn how to operate the trolleys, as well as the future Battery-Electric buses which may or may not be permanent depending on how successful the trial on the 100 is.

24 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Would there be barriers installed on other LFR models (D60LFRs for example) or is it because of their shorter lifespans compared to the trolleys?

If/when I get an operator position at CMBC I hope I get to go out into Surrey for training, in my opinion Surrey seems like more of an ideal area for training but I can understand having VTC as the training centre as operators also need to learn how to operate the trolleys, as well as the future Battery-Electric buses which may or may not be permanent depending on how successful the trial on the 100 is.

Not 100% sure about barriers being installed on LFR's or current Nova's, but one of the reasons for the trolley's getting them is that they go through some of the toughest parts of the city and longer lifespan I'm sure helps.

All new operator training is done at VTC, only reason for training buses being out in Surrey is if the trainer decides to take thier ops out that way for a day or route training for ops transfering to STC.  Majority of operators start at VTC right away unless there is an urgent need for them elsewhere.

As for the electric buses, it seems like Translink wants to go with as much electric as possible in the future.  With that said, the trial on the 100 feels like it going to be more of a test of which model or both to order in the future.  And sadly these electric buses are most likely going to be the end of trolley's in Vancouver.  I hate to say it, but it makes allot of sense given how expensive the trolley infrastructure is to manage and in the event of detours, non trolley's can go anywhere.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

And sadly these electric buses are most likely going to be the end of trolley's in Vancouver. 

The battery electric buses should spell the end for diesel buses. Trolleys can detour using EPU, for such things as road blockages and the like. For planned detours (road races and such) other buses can be booked out.  Infrastructure maintenance when carried out regularly is really not that expensive, filling up daily with diesel and other noxious substances cost just as much if not more, plus the service life of a trolley is much longer. Battery electric buses also need maintenance and even though batteries continue to improve, eventually batteries will need replacing and that will not be cheap. Most people don't realize how versatile (flexible) trolleys really are, and connected to the OH you get 100% power with virtually no 'line loss'. Getting rid of the trolleys will be a grave mistake.  Battery electric buses should replace diesels and supplement the trolleys, not replace the trolleys.  The only bus that can replace a trolley is another trolley.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Not 100% sure about barriers being installed on LFR's or current Nova's, but one of the reasons for the trolley's getting them is that they go through some of the toughest parts of the city and longer lifespan I'm sure helps.

All new operator training is done at VTC, only reason for training buses being out in Surrey is if the trainer decides to take thier ops out that way for a day or route training for ops transfering to STC.  Majority of operators start at VTC right away unless there is an urgent need for them elsewhere.

As for the electric buses, it seems like Translink wants to go with as much electric as possible in the future.  With that said, the trial on the 100 feels like it going to be more of a test of which model or both to order in the future.  And sadly these electric buses are most likely going to be the end of trolley's in Vancouver.  I hate to say it, but it makes allot of sense given how expensive the trolley infrastructure is to manage and in the event of detours, non trolley's can go anywhere.

I think all diesel buses will be replaced by Battery-Electric buses before TransLink even considers replacing trolleys, I think the only expensive bits to the network are the wires themselves (about $1 million per km of copper wiring) and the generators that power the wires, other than that it's pretty much the same price, if not cheaper than the Battery-Electric buses.

What are the worst routes to drive in Metro Van? I figure if/when I do become an operator I'd try to drive the worst routes that no one really wants first so that I hopefully never have to drive them again.

55 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I think all diesel buses will be replaced by Battery-Electric buses before TransLink even considers replacing trolleys, I think the only expensive bits to the network are the wires themselves (about $1 million per km of copper wiring) and the generators that power the wires, other than that it's pretty much the same price, if not cheaper than the Battery-Electric buses.

What are the worst routes to drive in Metro Van? I figure if/when I do become an operator I'd try to drive the worst routes that no one really wants first so that I hopefully never have to drive them again.

Trolleys are on their way out - give it a few more years and they'll be long gone before the diesels are replaced.

Routes are only as bad as you make them to be.  I know lots of drivers who drive routes that other drivers deem "undesirable" such as night runs through East Hastings - yet they have no problem with the passengers or routes.  Its your attitude that makes a route difficult or not. CMBC has a pretty decent scheduling system compared to other companies in BC - most senior drivers are more attentive to what days they want off and what kind of hours they want to work as opposed to the routes.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, 8010 said:

Apply and find out.  If you only have two references, thats all you have.  Unless you're frequently in and out of jobs getting three is next to impossible.  Having fewer references because of your long term employment with another company is more preferable than a bunch of references if you keep bouncing in and out of jobs.

But then again, I'm old school.  Hiring practices have changed over the years.  It used to be nice and simple, you went in somewhere, asked for the manager, gave them your resume and they asked when you can start.  The process they use today, online applications, video interviews, asking you why you prefer the colour blue over the colour red is just preventing decent applicants getting jobs in an unnecessarily drawn out process that has no proven benefits to the company or applicants.

• Like 2

I can't imagine night runs through Hastings being all that bad, if the 14 ran later at night I would honestly consider driving late evening runs on it, or even doing the N35, I don't have any problems with passengers and I enjoy talking to people so doing any run on any route would probably be fine with me.

I guess what I mean by "worst" is what routes are slow, constantly stuck in traffic, and have a hard time maintaing their schedule? (Like the 480)

I know that 3-door boarding is supposed to be used only on B-Lines but if you're running extra late and you can't short-turn anywhere are you allowed to use 3-door boarding in order to speed up the loading/unloading process and try to catch up to your schedule? I've seen it on a few other routes before.