KCGR

New Waterloo bus yard

Going to be interesting .................. Will drivers be posted to work out of this new facility, as they currently are with Kitchener or Cambridge?

Hmmm?

Bid Lists for Cambridge

Bid Lists for Kitchener

Bid lists for Waterloo?

It will then be decided it is too expensive to operate 4 transit garage (including ION) and they will close Conestoga Garage and call it a "savings to the taxpayer"

It will then be decided it is too expensive to operate 4 transit garage (including ION) and they will close Conestoga Garage and call it a "savings to the taxpayer"

Why? The Region is rapidly growing the amount of transit service it offers, and demand for that will increase with LRT. The maintenance facility for LRT is a red herring, because it will have zero to do with bus operations.

we all know the region's decisions are 95% of the time a general wtf moment.

That is so true! Always "reactive", NEVER "proactive" (Micromanaged by "Bryan"and his puppets!)

That is so true! Always "reactive", NEVER "proactive" (Micromanaged by "Bryan"and his puppets!)

Are you talking about the same region that is building LRT to meet the needs of the community in 10-20 years time?

Are you talking about the same region that is building LRT to meet the needs of the community in 10-20 years time?

Thank you. This constant anti-Region... (the only metaphor I can think of is a bit profane...) is tiring.

Thank you. This constant anti-Region... (the only metaphor I can think of is a bit profane...) is tiring.

The same Morons Region that has yet to install the real-time information screens on the 202, and has no plan whatsoever to do so on the 203?

WTF is an iXpress?

Do you suggest we build such a system in 40 years, then? How do you think this region would currently look like without Conestoga Pkwy? Count the number of buses that pass by the King and University intersection and how long it takes them to get to their destination with so much traffic.

Surely there must be an option to solve the current transit problem and avoid future problems.... Wait.. there is.. and it is currently being build!

I think you misunderstood his post...

Do you suggest we build such a system in 40 years, then? How do you think this region would currently look like without Conestoga Pkwy? Count the number of buses that pass by the King and University intersection and how long it takes them to get to their destination with so much traffic.

No, I'm in agreement - we need to build it now instead of later. My point is that the Region is being proactive, with the LRT and transit investment an excellent example.

Our last chance at getting articulated buses.

Why would Waterloo want articulated buses? The only route that comes close to that kind of frequency is 7, which is getting articulated LRTs.

As demonstrated on routes like Bathurst in Toronto, articulated buses just make the buses less frequent. With 50% more capacity, they frequency was changed from every 6 minutes to every 9 minutes.

Sure, it works well if the frequency is every 2 or 3 minutes - but what route other than 7 has that?

If you want the buses more frequent, you go for shorter buses. And some towns have done that, going from 12 metre buses to shorter buses and increasing the frequency.

if the region gets articulated buses they would be used for the new ixpress routes that are planned in the next couple of years and new routes that will service the LRT.

Why would Waterloo want articulated buses? The only route that comes close to that kind of frequency is 7, which is getting articulated LRTs.

As demonstrated on routes like Bathurst in Toronto, articulated buses just make the buses less frequent. With 50% more capacity, they frequency was changed from every 6 minutes to every 9 minutes.

I agree with you, but you have outlined a rationale - articulated buses make the buses less frequent. If a route at 15-minute frequencies (and there actually are a few) can run with articulated buses instead of increasing frequencies as ridership grows, that is a significant avoided labour cost. It's also a failure to get to actually good frequencies, but not everything is subject to big-picture thinking.

i live on the 3 and 8 i would like to see artic buses on here but some of the turns onto other streets are too tight

lol

Route 3 and 8 are the last routes that would ever get articulated buses.