Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

Whitecourt

The town of Whitecourt is looking to lease 2 community shuttle buses, and is looking to operate a trial system for one year.

Town of Whitecourt, Alberta

Population in 2011 9,605

(2011 census)

There are several factors that can make or break a transit system's viability in a smaller community, but I think that's a fairly small base population to start from.

Town of Whitecourt, Alberta

Population in 2011 9,605

(2011 census)

There are several factors that can make or break a transit system's viability in a smaller community, but I think that's a fairly small base population to start from.

I noticed there is alot of small Industry in the southern portion of the town, along with a few schools, small businesses and a medical centre/seniors complex (via Google Maps). The northern section of the town, seperated by forest (reminds me of Lethbridge or Fort McMurray in a way), has the lumber mill, town centre (businesses), and alot of residential. Considering these facts, along with the town being seperated with no sidewalks to be seen on the highway or Dahl Drive, I could see a system being viable in Whitecourt.

A Transit system in Whitecourt should do very well, its quite spread out with businesses on the highway and downtown as well as residental too. Whitecourt is about 9500 people permanent and another 400-600 or so transient at least. Schools and residental is spread out, Dont forget Dawson Creek got their first transit system when it had about 11,000 people. And their are many other smaller communities with transit.

Another Whitecourt Star newspaper article updating progress towards establishing a transit system.

Transit committee busy making bus system a reality
By Barry Kerton, Whitecourt Star
Monday, June 2, 2014 8:59:55 MDT AM

Whitecourt will launch its first ever public transit system sometime in September.

At least, that is what Whitecourt Transit co-ordinator Rachel Soderquist, and the Transit Committee is planning as the tentative launch date for the service.

Soderquist said the transit committee has put out a request for proposals and have already received an application from a company interested in leasing a bus to the town for the project.

First Canada?

Or PWT !? Any ones guess right now.........!

FirstCanada, as reported in the Whitecourt Star 18 June 2014. FirstCanada will provide two buses and drivers. Initial contract is for a year. According to the article First bid $68.00/hour including driver. The article also mentions "adjustable fuel surcharge" but the details are a little confusing (I think there is a surcharge for fuel over $1.30/litre but I'm not sure).

First Canada's proposal includes the purchase of two brand-new 16 passenger buses, including branding and logos.

The article also mentions a 25 kilometre figure eight route but I'm guessing it's probably more like 2.5 km.

Whitecourt Transit launches 02 September 2014.

Town Website

base fare $3.00

6 day/week service (daytime and evening to 9PM Mon-Thu, to 10PM Fri, Sat).

The website has a link to the pdf map (The red transit route doesn't show up well against the pink map...).

I was just about to ask why the cost was so high, but got consoled when I read from the FAQ part of the site that there will be 90 minute transfers! Plus taking advantage of the town layout as well.

The bus is numbered 142976, a GMC cutaway with Corbeil body. A shot is attached. There were a few riders on the bus (two got off at Walmart) so it will be interesting to see if this one year trial is successful.

Whitecourt Transit 142976 --- 25MAY15.jpg

Whitecourt received Greentrip funding this week:

http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=386610C2D132B-C98C-F631-2E8019D35DB798B7

GreenTRIP supports transit expansion in Whitecourt

Residents of Whitecourt will soon have four new transit buses and safer and more efficient public transit thanks to a GreenTRIP grant.
The Alberta government’s commitment to affordable and accessible public transportation through the Green Transit Incentives Program (GreenTRIP) includes more than $1.2 million for new buses and capital improvements to existing transit infrastructure in Whitecourt. Grant funding will help purchase four new buses and upgrade bus benches, signs, and shelters, as well as purchase security systems for the buses.

Whitecourt has had 2 27.5' Vicinity buses in service for about 2 months now and will be adding a third Vicinity bus to the fleet that will be delivered by the end of March 2018. The cost is $352,000 + GST and as a note if will have the new Quantum wheelchair restraint system. Whitecourt is considering retrofitting the existing Vicinity buses with it. 

Whitecourt Vicinity purchase staff report.pdf