Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) - San Francisco

The VTA's BART Extension to San Jose and new maintenance centre in Hayward could be delayed due the Trump budget:

A BART project seeking between $900 million and $1 billion to modernize its train control system, upgrade its electrical equipment, finish work on a new maintenance center in Hayward and supplement its Fleet of the Future with 306 new train cars.

The VTA’s request for $1.5 billion to extend BART to downtown San Jose.

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/03/16/trump-transportation-plan-could-derail-bay-area-transit-projects/

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎05 at 10:26 AM, FYBklyn1959 said:

I guess the new cars are considered "D" cars?  Also, I wonder what the numbering will be, I'm guessing they'll start at 2000 or 2001.

Don't know about the numbering, but the "D" cars are the cab cars and the "E" cars are intermediate cars. Don't think it's the other way around since in the Rohr fleet the "A" cars have cabs and the "B" cars don't. Not too sure about the "C" fleet though.

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

Don't know about the numbering, but the "D" cars are the cab cars and the "E" cars are intermediate cars. Don't think it's the other way around since in the Rohr fleet the "A" cars have cabs and the "B" cars don't. Not too sure about the "C" fleet though.

Thanks for the info.  IIRC, the "C" cars had a cab at one end.

The C cars are cab cars... but unlike the A cars they do not have an aerodynamic nose, allowing them to be used as middle cars as well. Built the right way it allows BART to split a 10-car train into a 4-car train and a 6-car train (or two 5-car trains) without returning to a yard.

The "fleet of the future" cab cars will be called D cars and will replace the A cars, the cars without a cab will be called E cars and will replace the B cars. There will be no replacement for the C cars.

According to the pictures shared by BART the D cars will be numbered in the 3000's.

firstcarbody.jpgIMG_0575.JPG

I haven't seen any pictures of the E cars yet... so not sure how they'll be numbered.

• Like 1

On 2017-07-28 at 2:19 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

The pilot cars of the 'Fleet of the Future' should enter service in late September:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/mechanical/article/BARTs-Fleet-of-the-Future-to-launch-service-in-September--52262

This has been delayed until thanksgiving weekend:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Rollout-for-new-BART-cars-bumped-back-to-12253656.php#photo-14287460

• Thanks 1