BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) - San Francisco

A. Wong

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This cool picture showing two BART trains heading the same way of each other connecting riders with out a wait.

Known as a "Timed Transfer". The train on the left is a Fremont bound train coming from Richmond, the train on the right is a SFO or Millbrae bound train coming from Pittsburg/Bay Point. MacArthur station is the Timed Transfer Westbound for these lines. Under Downtown Oakland, Eastbound has two tracks and West only one (stacked, EB on top, WB lower level), the SFO train usually leaves MacArthur first with the Fremont train 2m behind. MacArthur has four tracks, two on each direction with 2 center platforms.

The lines also have a Timed Transfer Eastbound at 19th Street Oakland, but because of two sets of tracks EB, the trains pretty much run side by side from 12th St Oakland to MacArthur, tho after 19th st, the Pittsburg train usually gets out ahead.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious, will all of these cars be like the "C"/"C2" cars (i.e., a cab at one end)? Seems that would allow more flexibility than the old A/B setup.

I guess these would be "D" cars?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, and I poked around Google but couldn't find a certain answer to it

Do any Bart trains have a front  window that you can look through into the drivers cab or tunnel? 

It's been almost 20 years since I've been on a BART train, but the fleet hasn't really changed in all that time, so...

The "A" cars (the ones with the slanted end), you can kinda see through the door to the cab, but the seat nearest to the cab door is facing away, so you have to kind of turn to see.  Even then, IIRC, you mostly see the train operator and not much of the track.  I think you can't even see that much on the C and C2 cars  :(  We'll see how much of a view there will be on the new cars.

3 hours ago, FYBklyn1959 said:

It's been almost 20 years since I've been on a BART train, but the fleet hasn't really changed in all that time, so...

The "A" cars (the ones with the slanted end), you can kinda see through the door to the cab, but the seat nearest to the cab door is facing away, so you have to kind of turn to see.  Even then, IIRC, you mostly see the train operator and not much of the track.  I think you can't even see that much on the C and C2 cars  :(  We'll see how much of a view there will be on the new cars.

thanks, ill avoid bart then:(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...