ETS Electric Bus testing

M. Parsons

4 hours ago, MTL66 said:

It would be a great help if someone could say the best terminal in the North and NorthEast of the city. Where is my best chance to find them the easiest.

Is t55, Transit55, the same app used in Calgary and Vancouver?

Vancouver has tcomm, Calgary and Edmonton has transit55

6 hours ago, MTL66 said:

It would be a great help if someone could say the best terminal in the North and NorthEast of the city. Where is my best chance to find them the easiest.

https://transit55.ca/

According to the ETS Ride Guide, Northgate is the Northern terminal with the most routes so you may want to start there. Once again, as helpful as it would be for one of us to say go to a specific terminal/place for photos, ETS just doesn't operate that way compared to other cities -- electric buses can turn up anywhere and are often in different places from day to day. Using T55 to make a specific plan will be much less frustrating.

7 hours ago, MTL66 said:

You didn't research ahead of time? These are the questions you ask days/ weeks/ months in advance.

Belvedere and Clareview have also seen their share of electric bus runs.

Don't expect to see much midday. A lot of the longer runs start from 14:00-15:00 and run into the evening. Off peak, it is easier to find a Proterra in the evening rather than midday. 

15 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

You didn't research ahead of time? These are the questions you ask days/ weeks/ months in advance.

Belvedere and Clareview have also seen their share of electric bus runs.

Don't expect to see much midday. A lot of the longer runs start from 14:00-15:00 and run into the evening. Off peak, it is easier to find a Proterra in the evening rather than midday. 

I did do some research, I created a topic here on the forums and practically no one responded. We were not able to find a single Proterra today. Every time we spotted 1 on the tracker, it would disappear before we could make it to the terminal. No worries, I am pretty sure they will still be in service when I do my planned Western Canada trip with friends on VIA Rail in 2 years.

7 hours ago, MTL66 said:

I did do some research, I created a topic here on the forums and practically no one responded.

Well that's unfortunate... I would have loved to have helped, but I cannot seem to find said topic. Nothing appears in your user history going all the way back to the beginning of 2020 when the buses first arrived on property.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, T6H-5307N said:

Well that's unfortunate... I would have loved to have helped, but I cannot seem to find said topic. Nothing appears in your user history going all the way back to the beginning of 2020 when the buses first arrived on property.

I didn't see the topic per se, but I did see where MTL66 did pose an inquiry on this page.

Not sure if this will help or not but whenever I’m in town staying at my parents place I usually see one or two electric buses go by on the 108 towards Belvedere station.  I would imagine they originate at Clareview station during the afternoon rush-hour.  

Not sure if they’re interlining with any other route. 

😃 

29 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

I didn't see the topic per se, but I did see where MTL66 did pose an inquiry on this page.

You mean the post from two days ago that we replied to? Clearly our responses were unsatisfactory? :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T6H-5307N said:

Turns out it was in the Western Canada section which is easily overlooked. 

Saskatchewan and Manitoba rate their own sub forums, yet the rest of Alberta doesn't.

Checking what run yesterday afternoon, Proterra's did definitely show up at Northgate, Belvedere and quite a few through Clareview, with one on a loop every 30 minutes from 15:15-17:40, so they were out there. 

21 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Turns out it was in the Western Canada section which is easily overlooked.

Ah thank-you sir; that explains it! Logically I only checked the Edmonton section (using keywords such as ETS, Proterra, electric bus etc. etc. etc.) for a post about Edmonton.

Goose-Chase-2_0-46d0e66.thumb.jpg.709ab19b8555560fff76d30524168d5f.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

8041 was delivered today, complete with white LED signs, so, it seems ETS is moving to white from amber.

What model is it? Proterra? 

Has the dispatch and in service rates on these buses improved any in the last year? Was announced we are getting them in Victoria, and I'm a bit surprised given Edmonton's experience with these units - but my opinion is also based on now year-old information.

10 hours ago, Dane said:

Has the dispatch and in service rates on these buses improved any in the last year? Was announced we are getting them in Victoria, and I'm a bit surprised given Edmonton's experience with these units - but my opinion is also based on now year-old information.

Somewhat. All 40 units are consistently active, however the AM peak bookout rarely exceeds around 26/40 units. The PM peak is often less than 20/40 units, and midday rarely exceeds 10/40 units. No electric buses are dispatched on weekends or holidays. 

It is tough to say whether this is by necessity or if ETS is just reluctant to operate the buses in general. It will be interesting to see if an increasingly larger fleet eventually forces them to run them more often.

• Like 1

8052, 8053, 8054 arrived at Big Rig in Calgary earlier today, they were unloaded off the trailers by the front gates.  The friendly truck drivers also let me tour the buses and confirm the fleet numbers.  Each bus was delivered plain white, with no mirrors on the bus, and no bike racks.  I noticed inside each bus was a Sportworks box containing the bike rack.

8052 pulling into Big Rig displaying the #HumboltStrong PR code.  The bus was displaying Route 12 Downtown.

image.thumb.jpeg.937cfb502fea340f7732dd8362ef0b04.jpeg

8053 being unloaded off the trailer with blank signs.  Also shown is a photo of after it was parked.

image.thumb.jpeg.96149e7b6fa1c2c9af93d3bf25dbf56a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.56eed09a7618e752b89b36ec64875e43.jpeg

8054 being unloaded off the trailer and pulling into Big Rig displaying Route 10 Coliseum.

990701731_EdmontonTransitService80545-29-22.thumb.jpg.041649eed8632cd9d113787a37acd7dc.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.8509602886db1bf4955950eaf7d61077.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb458ffaf90fff94e47eaed05d18bd30.jpeg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

8052, 8053, 8054 arrived at Big Rig in Calgary earlier today, they were unloaded off the trailers by the front gates.  The friendly truck drivers also let me tour the buses and confirm the fleet numbers.  Each bus was delivered plain white, with no mirrors on the bus, and no bike racks.  I noticed inside each bus was a Sportworks box containing the bike rack.

8052 pulling into Big Rig displaying the #HumboltStrong PR code.  The bus was displaying Route 12 Downtown.

image.thumb.jpeg.937cfb502fea340f7732dd8362ef0b04.jpeg

8053 being unloaded off the trailer with blank signs.  Also shown is a photo of after it was parked.

image.thumb.jpeg.96149e7b6fa1c2c9af93d3bf25dbf56a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.56eed09a7618e752b89b36ec64875e43.jpeg

8054 being unloaded off the trailer and pulling into Big Rig displaying Route 10 Coliseum.

990701731_EdmontonTransitService80545-29-22.thumb.jpg.041649eed8632cd9d113787a37acd7dc.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.8509602886db1bf4955950eaf7d61077.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb458ffaf90fff94e47eaed05d18bd30.jpeg

Here are some interior shots of 8053 including a photo of the build plate.

_MG_6071.jpg

_MG_6072.jpg

_MG_6073-2.jpg

_MG_6074-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BC_YYC said:

Here are some interior shots of 8053 including a photo of the build plate.

_MG_6071.jpg

_MG_6072.jpg

_MG_6073-2.jpg

_MG_6074-2.jpg

Beautiful. Looks like a much better seating layout than the TTC counterparts.