M. Parsons

ETS Electric Bus testing

On 7/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Dual hub motors on the rear axle. The weight savings come from dispensing with the differential and driveshaft.

Makes sense - I couldn't figure out how they would get power to the front wheels on a low-floor bus.

4 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Makes sense - I couldn't figure out how they would get power to the front wheels on a low-floor bus.

In theory it could be done with in hub motors, but I’ve never come across anyone who’s bothered to make one for a steer axle yet.

Powered B axles on articulating buses are now available on trolley, and hypothetically battery and hybrids.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:24 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Dual hub motors on the rear axle. The weight savings come from dispensing with the differential and driveshaft.

It's interesting to note the contrast between the single motor version, which uses a permanent magnet motor (i.e. synchronous) and the duopower version which uses induction motors (i.e. asynchronous) in the hubs. Anybody knows who supplies the motors to Proterra?

For anyone interested, this is an illustration of an electric portal axle made by ZF. It can be used for hybrids, battery or trolleybus. One big advantage is it enables continuous low floor gangway, rather than a step up at the back of the bus. 

https://www.zf.com/products/en/buses/products_40128.html

8002 pulled out of Centennial Garage just before 11:00am today to run on block 15-06 and restart the electric bus era on Edmonton streets.

I caught up with the bus at Century Park when it was running as a 74.

To the best of our knowledge this was the only electric bus to run today, however, due to a Smart Bus issue that occured sometime around 8 or 9am drivers couldn't log into their runs, and hence there were a lot of ghost buses on T55. It's possible another electric bus escaped, but, it's also quite likely no others did. Comments in the media from this morning seem to indicate they'll ramp up the buses 3-4 at a time each day. I guess we wait and see what hits the road tomorrow. The comments also made it sound like Andrews wasn't quite ready yet. That would limit the number of buses on the road anyways since Centennial has limited chargers. 
DSC08192a.thumb.jpg.4cd8fa2b2d613cd0d63457424eb3eab0.jpgDSC08197a.thumb.jpg.2e7d40ebf8370d7a129c081361e16242.jpgDSC08202a.thumb.jpg.fbba9a12c9deb7ed64cff733bd511fa0.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

8002 pulled out of Centennial Garage just before 11:00am today to run on block 15-06 and restart the electric bus era on Edmonton streets.

I caught up with the bus at Century Park when it was running as a 74.

To the best of our knowledge this was the only electric bus to run today, however, due to a Smart Bus issue that occured sometime around 8 or 9am drivers couldn't log into their runs, and hence there were a lot of ghost buses on T55. It's possible another electric bus escaped, but, it's also quite likely no others did. Comments in the media from this morning seem to indicate they'll ramp up the buses 3-4 at a time each day. I guess we wait and see what hits the road tomorrow. The comments also made it sound like Andrews wasn't quite ready yet. That would limit the number of buses on the road anyways since Centennial has limited chargers. 
DSC08192a.thumb.jpg.4cd8fa2b2d613cd0d63457424eb3eab0.jpgDSC08197a.thumb.jpg.2e7d40ebf8370d7a129c081361e16242.jpgDSC08202a.thumb.jpg.fbba9a12c9deb7ed64cff733bd511fa0.jpg

This block was all over the T55 map today, showing up as the 74, 15, and 8. Admittedly, seeing the block on the 15 and 8 made scout Connors Rd for the better part of an hour, though it's more likely that it stayed mostly south of the Whitemud