M. Parsons

ETS Electric Bus testing

2 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Is there any guesses to what they will be numbered?

6000's maybe? I suppose they could start at 6014, or just skip to 6100 or something.

3 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Is there any guesses to what they will be numbered?

I doubt theyll be used in revenue service, theyre just to ensure equipment is set up properly

16 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

These two will still have fleet numbers, even if it's only on paper. 

Heh, didn't think about the demos... thought he was referring to the production units in general, but alas :rolleyes:

In that case I would not be surprised if the internal numbers end up being 6014 and 6015 for this pair!

On 9/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, M. Parsons said:

The second Proterra has arrived at Centennial. 

Your assumption was correct! Here are photos sent to me courtesy of a former coworker:

B144FA50-02DA-4AEE-A267-3B458D9CA44B.jpeg

DBF16145-E969-4CD7-A22E-A9AB153600C1.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Your assumption was correct! Here are photos sent to me courtesy of a former coworker:

It was never an assumption. I saw the bus at Centennial. 

Caught 6014 out testing on Monday incidentally. 

35 minutes ago, Enviro_1203 said:

B144FA50-02DA-4AEE-A267-3B458D9CA44B.jpeg

DBF16145-E969-4CD7-A22E-A9AB153600C1.jpeg

Nice photos! I like the style of bike rack on this bus.

18 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

It was never an assumption. I saw the bus at Centennial. 

Caught 6014 out testing on Monday incidentally. 

I ended up quoting the wrong post, my mistake! I meant to quote this post:

On 9/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, T6H-5307N said:

Heh, didn't think about the demos... thought he was referring to the production units in general, but alas :rolleyes:

In that case I would not be surprised if the internal numbers end up being 6014 and 6015 for this pair!

So for those who missed it.... The Coles Notes version on what just happened with electric bus funding.

The first 19 or so buses used funding via the Federal Government's PTIF.

A second group of buses (and by "buses" I mean buses and a number of chargers and anything else needed) were able to be added to the procurement by way of the Provincial Government Alberta Community Transit Fund (ACT). The 2019 budget profile for this group show the split being about 25 PTIF and 15 ACT, although that changed a little but I think and it ended up being closer to a 20/ 20 split. Those buses were to be for 2020 delivery. Additionally, with ACT funding for components of the Terwillegar Expressway project were 10 more electric buses to be used on a busway on this corridor for 2021 delivery. Since this project wasn't exactly part of the long term plans when the ACT grants was awarded there wasn't funding for the City's half so the intention was to use debt financing to cover the City's half.

NDP lose to UCP in the election, and the first UCP budget comes out in late October and cancels ACT. 

At first this looked grim for the electric buses, however, it turned out due to the way things work the electric buses were actually VERY safe the whole time. 

The borrowing bylaw for the electric buses and other ACT projects didn't go to council for 3 readings until October. The PO was cut for the Proterra purchase back in April or May. 

That meant the budget profile for the ACT funded buses didn't have any money available yet, so, the buses were funded out of the regular bus equipment profile which is used for, among other things, diesel bus purchases, DATS bus purchases, and bus refurbishments (power train and body). 

What was now at risk was actually future diesel bus purchases as the Proterra contract had been signed and money would just end up coming out of bus equipment profile. 

Ultimately, Administration came back to Council for the 2019 budget adjustment with a re-profiling of the ACT projects. Changing the scope of some, eliminating some, and changing the amount of funding for others so that former ACT projects could fit into just the debt financing.

In the case of the ACT electric buses, about $32 million will go into the bus equipment profile to replenish the amount for that group of electric buses. 

The original ACT funding was about $45 million with ACT funding about $22.5 million and the City $22.5 million, so, in this case they moved funding around from other less important projects so that the City is now putting in $32 million for these buses. The only thing is that I don't know what the difference of $13 million means. I suspect it could mean a reduction of 10 buses that were tied to Terwilligar, which means we could be looking at a final procurement of about 40 electric buses at this point in time. That could change with future budget adjustments and they could yet come up with funding for even more electric buses. They could also still pull some diesel funding to still go for the full 50 electric buses. 

• Thanks 1

ETS 8001 spotted NIS running around south Edmonton.

The first two production Proterra's arrived on February 14, 2020.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And a picture, as grim as an editted cell phone shot can be... you at least can get an idea of what they look like in ETS paint. 

IMG_20200313_080529_edit_edit.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some pics from today.

DSC00009.thumb.jpg.a0a8e0dbe01a9fbfa3095e395ffe3bc2.jpg
8020 pulling out of Centennial

DSC00022.thumb.jpg.875ef1340440d04a7e8e9b0285928c40.jpg
8004 preparing to head out on training.

Not sure if 8020 was training or testing. 8010 is also around in the regular livery, which is actually between buses in the "Electric" livery so who know what they are doing for liveries.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, brookiedbj said:

The white livery bus kinda look like a Fishbowl, just a bit

Wish these had a black front too though :D

On July 28, 2020 at 12:19 PM, martin607 said:

Here's an interesting article from a European website. Two points of note: that the buses have such large batteries and that they have opted for dual electric motors. Is 510 h.p. really necessary?

http://www.sustainable-bus.com/news/edmonton-electric-buses-proterra-ets-abb/

That's not so much an article as it is the Proterra and/ or ETS press release verbatim. 

As for why the DuoPower version, if you look up the spec sheet, you'll see the likely reason why. The dual motor version actually has a greater range than the single motor Prodrive with the same size battery pack. The dual motor version also apparently weights less.

The dual motor version does handle grades better. Edmonton only has a few grades in and out of the river valley, but, they are steep ones in locations. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

That's not so much an article as it is the Proterra and/ or ETS press release verbatim. 

As for why the DuoPower version, if you look up the spec sheet, you'll see the likely reason why. The dual motor version actually has a greater range than the single motor Prodrive with the same size battery pack. The dual motor version also apparently weights less.

The dual motor version does handle grades better. Edmonton only has a few grades in and out of the river valley, but, they are steep ones in locations. 

By dual-motor, does this mean AWD or is it just independent motors on the two back wheels? Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but electric buses are a pretty foreign concept to me. On that note, these buses look like they're straight out of the 90s with all their bulbous round edges, bulgy windshield, and those horrible tail lights. 

2 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

By dual-motor, does this mean AWD or is it just independent motors on the two back wheels? Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but electric buses are a pretty foreign concept to me. On that note, these buses look like they're straight out of the 90s with all their bulbous round edges, bulgy windshield, and those horrible tail lights. 

Dual hub motors on the rear axle. The weight savings come from dispensing with the differential and driveshaft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1