M. Parsons

ETS Electric Bus testing

246 posts in this topic

the decals on the two ETS Stealth bus looks very copycat to the STL Laval's Designline design, especially the electric plug pattern.........

This afternoon, the buses will be on the 4 and 100

PM me if you want to know any timing points..

This afternoon, the buses will be on the 4 and 100

PM me if you want to know any timing points..

Very interesting they pick the route 100, super express and the 4 down Whitemud

I'm assuming these busses have regenerative brakes, so stop and go would be a bit better no?

Looks like Chuckie is proving me right ;)

Tomorrow morning, the 4 and 100, afternoon the 94 and 5

Tomorrow morning, the 4 and 100, afternoon the 94 and 5

Thanks for the updates :)

Managed to catch #1 on a 100 this afternoon by total chance:

DSC05740e.jpg

DSC05743e.jpg

DSC05745e.jpg

DSC05756e.jpg

DSC05740e.jpg

DSC05743e.jpg

DSC05745e.jpg

DSC05756e.jpg

post-232-0-52593800-1402377488_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-04765200-1402377492_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-36661300-1402377495_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-98075900-1402377498_thumb.jpg

Nice catch and photos! No weird programming on that destination sign I take it :P

Also interesting to note that it 11787km on the odometer. The second generation buses slated to arrive are noted as being "frigid-weather enabled" by Michael Austin, VP of BYD America.

Noted on some photos by James that there was 7756km on the odometer yesterday of whichever bus has the license plate BMN-5646.

To note, the speedometer is in MPH, though the odometer is in km. I also thought Transport Canada required the speedometer to be in Km/h for any imported vehicle though perhaps the LCD screen is capable of displaying the speed in Km/h so it might not matter. Or, maybe there are different regulations for buses or electric vehicles?

Noted on some photos by James that there was 7756km on the odometer yesterday of whichever bus has the license plate BMN-5646.

To note, the speedometer is in MPH, though the odometer is in km. I also thought Transport Canada required the speedometer to be in Km/h for any imported vehicle though perhaps the LCD screen is capable of displaying the speed in Km/h so it might not matter. Or, maybe there are different regulations for buses or electric vehicles?

Because it's a demonstrator, it could be exempt....

Thanks for the updates :)

Managed to catch #1 on a 100 this afternoon by total chance:

Thx for sharing, btw the Stealth bus decal only on the door side but not the drivers's side? Weird.......

I don't see any fleet # on the bus that indicate #1, is it just me or the fleet # is located somewhere ?

ETS decals are on the driver side only. Fleet number, either 1 or 2, is located around the waist, by the front door.

ETS decals are on the driver side only. Fleet number, either 1 or 2, is located around the waist, by the front door.

There is also numbering on the tailgate, centered near the bottom. Too bad they are cheap number stickers that look like they were purchased at the Canadian Tire across the street from D.L. MacDonald :lol:

Thx for sharing, btw the Stealth bus decal only on the door side but not the drivers's side? Weird.......

Enviro_1203 had an explanation for that... apparently BYD insisted that their promotional decals remain on one side of the bus, so ETS was only allowed to do up one side ;)

That's a Home Depot across the street from DLM. Spotted Westwood Van presumbly picking up supplies there recently. I have spotted other ETS vehicles there in the past for that matter.

That's a Home Depot across the street from DLM. Spotted Westwood Van presumbly picking up supplies there recently. I have spotted other ETS vehicles there in the past for that matter.

to install the BYD charging facility? i have talked with BYD and STM rep that it's as easy as 1-2-3 to install that charging station and only takes a few hours

Westwood Van is the service truck that roams the streets fixing buses.

Rode #2, stalked #1 today. Certainly seems sluggish, rattles a lot but not a bad ride. Interior noise isn't anything special. I believe we were generally in agreement that the newest buses in the fleet... XD's and the CNG's are pretty quiet inside and are comparable to the BYD.

I had been on Orion hybrid #6006 the day before and I would have to say that was one of the smoothest buses I've been on in awhile, beating out the BYD for a smooth ride, and certainly felt like it beat the BYD in acceleration.

Incidentally, we got talking about the weight of this thing, and it is very heavy.

Curb weight is 30,423 lbs.

From New Flyer's website:

Curb Weight diesel/hybrid

40' Approx. 26,000/28,500/28,500 lb (11,793/12,927/12,927 kg) (varies with customer options)

That indeed is a lot of weight, given that the bus seems small compared to a 40' New Flyer. It does seat only a dismal 29 passengers while a 40' Flyer can seat up to 40. Back half of the bus I found that head room for standees was not much better than the upper deck of one of the Strathcona's Enviro 500's!

Well, most of the weight is from all the batteries it has to carry onboard!

I love the sound it makes!

I agree, does sound neat! Does it have a transmission? Sounds like it's just a CVT transmission. Is it air brakes too?

Rode #1 on the 94 today. Had a good chat with the driver. Seems #1 is slower, but the battery has done better. #2 is faster, but, he had to return to DLM early once his battery hit 23%.

Not sure if these differences are intentional... like #2 having more powerful motors but more battery draw, or if it is just quirks between buses. #1 is sporting a patch job of duck tape and tuck tape on the passenger side rear rail light assembly.

The bus fully kneels... all the way around, although, when kneeled it is actually lower than the average curb.

Does it have a transmission?

Of course not. :mellow: