M. Parsons

ETS Electric Bus testing

235 posts in this topic

Wow, what a great contribution!

I found the following, especially interesting: "The most significant advantage of distributed charging strategies from a risk mitigation perspective is that there are more physical connections to the electrical grid. Consequently, there is greater redundancy in the infrastructure system."

I've read everything I can on electric buses for several years and I've never seen that before. Edmonton does some serious research and great reports to council it seems. Another point in favor of the fast charge Proterra model, which New Flyer has emulated.

Thanks for explaining what the options appear to be! Edmonton is leading the country (and a great country it is), now I hope the council moves forward and does not lose momentum!

Very good read indeed!

They should stuff the money into the lrt... fix the NAIT fiasco already..

And the decision on electric buses..... was.... postponed (with a few other items) until December 8th.

15 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

And the decision on electric buses..... was.... postponed (with a few other items) until December 8th.

Any idea what that means?

Looks like a public hearing for that and other budget items.

So far there isn't a agenda for that hearing as the date seemingly was only set yesterday.

The media has been quiet on the electric buses so far, other than reporting the report from June, and the recent pieces before and after the Council meeting, which was essentially a summary of the report to council. So far no one in the media is speaking for or against them. 

1 person likes this

On 2016-11-30 at 6:48 AM, MAX BRT said:

Any idea what that means?

I was just catching up on all this. The delay in vote is because an unrelated budget issue required further negotiation with the Province; the buses just happened to be apart of the same budget discussion so were tabled for the unrelated item to be resolved. Comments from Council all seem to tentatively favour ETS buying as many electric buses as possible within the defined budget. 

1 person likes this

Well, nothing concrete, no minutes from the meeting posted, and it sounds like parts of that meeting are back at council on Tuesday. Nothing in the media either. The best I could find was a "tweet".

BreannaKarstensSmith @BreannaCTV  Dec 8

Councillors just passed a motion on the electric bus buy but we were all getting interviews so I missed the exact motion #yeg #yegcc

1 person likes this

It took a long time for the minutes to get up on City's website. Minutes from meetings from December 12, 13, 14 were up before the 8th and 9th minutes, and only half the video recording was up when I first checked.

Moved B. Henderson - D. Iveson:

That the Electric Bus Purchase Capital Profile CM-66-3608 (Attachment 3), presented as Option C in the November 29, 2016, City Operations report CR_4133, be approved as part of the Supplementary Capital Budget Adjustment, with funding to be transferred from Capital Profile Bus Fleet Growth CM-66-3601.

City Ops.

In Favour:
Carried

D. Iveson, B. Anderson, M. Banga, T. Caterina, 
B. Esslinger, E. Gibbons, B. Henderson, A. Knack, 
D. Loken, S. McKeen, M. Oshry, M. Walters

Opposed:
 M. Nickel

So, option C it is, buy more or less a minimum of 25 buses, but, try to get as many as 40 out of the funding. No real debate on the issue, not really sure why Nickel voted against it. It's also no wonder the media missed it. This part of the meeting was over and done with pretty quick.

1 person likes this

So judging from your Nov 27 post, the administration has been directed to purchase as many electric buses as $30.6 million can buy.

Proterra quotes roughly $700k USD per bus and BYD I believe charges less. Not sure what NFI might charge now, as prices have been steadily falling and this is a large order. Will be interesting to hear how many they can get.

1 person likes this