ETS Electric Bus testing

M. Parsons

5 years after eliminating electric buses, ETS is testing 2. Stolte admits they love diesel.

EDMONTON - Edmonton is bringing in two electric buses this spring to become the second Canadian city to test the new technology, Edmonton Transit manager Charlie Stolte says.

Earlier batteries needed to be recharged too frequently to be practical, but new versions can run for about 200 kilometres, he said Wednesday.

The vehicles are apparently cheaper to operate, quieter and have less environmental impact than diesel buses, but Stolte hopes the nine-month project shows how well they perform in the cold.

“The major concern is adaptability to Edmonton and the price point. We aren’t going to go out and buy an exorbitant amount.”

The electric buses, being supplied by the Chinese company BYD, cost $700,000 to $800,000 each, compared to $430,000 for conventional diesel.

Stolte will try to convince other municipalities in the region to share the $120,000 cost of the pilot project, expected to start in May.

Electric buses are being tried in Montreal. They’re also in use or being tested in several U.S. cities, including New York and Los Angeles, and overseas.

Edmonton is looking at replacing an average of 50 buses annually from 2017 to 2029 as the current fleet wears out, which Stolte expects will involve buying more diesel.

“I’m willing to test (electric), I’m willing to pilot it, but I’m an old-school guy. I fall back on diesel.”

At current prices, this would cost about $20 million a year.

Edmonton eliminated its electric trolley system in 2009, mainly because of the high cost of buying new vehicles and maintaining wires and other infrastructure.

So Chuck is gonna waste another 2 million or so to test electric busses

Perhaps can explain to the board whey he continues to BUY test vehicles, when the manufacturers should be eager to provide them for testing

They aren't buying them... just paying $120 000 to test them. For some reason they think St. Albert and Strathcona should pitch in though. STM's finished with their in April, so May seems about the right time for that bus to head west.

$120 000 seems to be a lot of pay for doing somebody elses R&D work for them.

• 1 month later...

The one furthest from A. Wong in his pic has been moved to beside DLM, while the other remains at the RoW building. Got some pics today. For those that track it, the one by the RoW building doesn't have a license plate, while the 1 beside DLM has a California plate as seen in the pic.

BYD-DSC02872.jpg

LADOT apparently has a fleet of BYD's, but, they are 25' and painted in their livery. I've been searching for pics trying to compare Edmonton's and haven't had much luck. BYD only just completed their first 2 buses on the California production line. Presumably any others produced to date have had a lot of work done in China. 1 bus appears to be a match, however, for a bus in a photo used in the Journal, but that's the only photos I've found online of that bus.

Edit: Ha! Seems Seashore_518203 caught one of the two in Salt Lake City.

Only 120K for 9 months, to do the testing the manufacturer should be doing? Bloody criminal that demo's are not provided IF they want the sale

Ah well, at least it's not 2 million, but I'm sure they wasted that already on other things...

Its as lease, well thats what the BYD rep told im in Montreal last week.

LADOT apparently has a fleet of BYD's, but, they are 25' and painted in their livery. I've been searching for pics trying to compare Edmonton's and haven't had much luck. BYD only just completed their first 2 buses on the California production line. Presumably any others produced to date have had a lot of work done in China. 1 bus appears to be a match, however, for a bus in a photo used in the Journal, but that's the only photos I've found online of that bus.

Edit: Ha! Seems Seashore_518203 caught one of the two in Salt Lake City.

LADOT only had one for a demo

Thx for the photos, Inside out looks exactly the same as the one tested by STO and STM, although being claimed as 2nd generation due to more power and battery improvement

No the 1st 2 that are on lease until Oct are the 1st generation. The 2nd lease/demo later this year for 2 more will be 2nd generation

Intel I have right now is that the current 2 buses run from May-October.

However, at a prior City Council meeting it was stated the test for for 9 months. Either the test is cut back, or else it is plausible additional vehicles will arrive after October. Indeed, part of the test is cold weather. Pointless to end a 9 month test that's meant to include cold weather in October.

its a nice ride to drive...mark, shawn and myself got to test drive it...it handled nicely

are they going to decal the bus into a different scheme or leave it plain grey?

from a reliable source recently, the two electric buses(1st generation model) currently in edmonton now will be tested until next spring, and then ETS will get another two from BYD for a 1 year lease(2nd generation model), the two buses they have right now have the same specification as the the one tested in Montreal/Gatineau.

they are going to put some wrap according to training.... the current ones in Edmonton will be here till October or November then they will be going back for 2 of the 2nd generation.this also from the training dept. the 1st generation will not be here for winter. The 2nd generation will be and they will be Mitchell runs but parked and charged at DLM