• Announcements

• A. Wong

Saddened by loss of Winnipeg Transit driver   02/15/2017

We are saddened by the loss of Winnipeg Transit driver Irvine (Jubal) Fraser who was attacked while on the job and unfortunately passed away.
      A GoFundMe page has been set up by Winnipeg Transit colleagues to help Fraser's widow and family. We wish to extend our condolences to family and friends affected by this tragic event. View CBC News Article: Man charged with murder in attack on Winnipeg Transit driver
    • A. Wong

Upcoming Server Move   02/18/2017

Hello everyone! Please be advised that CPTDB and CPTDB Wiki will be unavailable starting the evening of February 25, 2017. We will be moving to another server. Users will be unable to view or post content during this time. We expect it to be up sometime on Feburary 26, 2017. A new announcement will take the place of this one, so you will know when the site is online and you are accessing it from the new server. Thanks! -A. Wong
      on behalf of CPTDB Admin
M. Parsons

ETS Electric Bus testing

235 posts in this topic

5 years after eliminating electric buses, ETS is testing 2. Stolte admits they love diesel.

EDMONTON - Edmonton is bringing in two electric buses this spring to become the second Canadian city to test the new technology, Edmonton Transit manager Charlie Stolte says.

Earlier batteries needed to be recharged too frequently to be practical, but new versions can run for about 200 kilometres, he said Wednesday.

The vehicles are apparently cheaper to operate, quieter and have less environmental impact than diesel buses, but Stolte hopes the nine-month project shows how well they perform in the cold.

“The major concern is adaptability to Edmonton and the price point. We aren’t going to go out and buy an exorbitant amount.”

The electric buses, being supplied by the Chinese company BYD, cost $700,000 to $800,000 each, compared to $430,000 for conventional diesel.

Stolte will try to convince other municipalities in the region to share the $120,000 cost of the pilot project, expected to start in May.

Electric buses are being tried in Montreal. They’re also in use or being tested in several U.S. cities, including New York and Los Angeles, and overseas.

Edmonton is looking at replacing an average of 50 buses annually from 2017 to 2029 as the current fleet wears out, which Stolte expects will involve buying more diesel.

“I’m willing to test (electric), I’m willing to pilot it, but I’m an old-school guy. I fall back on diesel.”

At current prices, this would cost about $20 million a year.

Edmonton eliminated its electric trolley system in 2009, mainly because of the high cost of buying new vehicles and maintaining wires and other infrastructure.

ETS would be the 3rd to try BYD after STO and STM and 4th if you include STL's Designline.

Oh boy, dirty coal burning power plants charging those batteries.... not a good idea...:lol:

Oh boy, dirty coal burning power plants charging those batteries.... not a good idea... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So Chuck is gonna waste another 2 million or so to test electric busses

Perhaps can explain to the board whey he continues to BUY test vehicles, when the manufacturers should be eager to provide them for testing

They aren't buying them... just paying $120 000 to test them. For some reason they think St. Albert and Strathcona should pitch in though. STM's finished with their in April, so May seems about the right time for that bus to head west.

$120 000 seems to be a lot of pay for doing somebody elses R&D work for them.

Photos have been posted by someone on facebook in the Edm. Transit group of the 2 BYD buses at DL MacDonald...

The one furthest from A. Wong in his pic has been moved to beside DLM, while the other remains at the RoW building. Got some pics today. For those that track it, the one by the RoW building doesn't have a license plate, while the 1 beside DLM has a California plate as seen in the pic.

BYD-DSC02872.jpg

BYD-DSC02872.jpg

post-47-0-26281800-1398888689_thumb.jpg

LADOT apparently has a fleet of BYD's, but, they are 25' and painted in their livery. I've been searching for pics trying to compare Edmonton's and haven't had much luck. BYD only just completed their first 2 buses on the California production line. Presumably any others produced to date have had a lot of work done in China. 1 bus appears to be a match, however, for a bus in a photo used in the Journal, but that's the only photos I've found online of that bus.

Edit: Ha! Seems Seashore_518203 caught one of the two in Salt Lake City.

Only 120K for 9 months, to do the testing the manufacturer should be doing? Bloody criminal that demo's are not provided IF they want the sale

Ah well, at least it's not 2 million, but I'm sure they wasted that already on other things...

Its as lease, well thats what the BYD rep told im in Montreal last week.

LADOT apparently has a fleet of BYD's, but, they are 25' and painted in their livery. I've been searching for pics trying to compare Edmonton's and haven't had much luck. BYD only just completed their first 2 buses on the California production line. Presumably any others produced to date have had a lot of work done in China. 1 bus appears to be a match, however, for a bus in a photo used in the Journal, but that's the only photos I've found online of that bus.

Edit: Ha! Seems Seashore_518203 caught one of the two in Salt Lake City.

LADOT only had one for a demo

20140501_142238.jpg

20140501_142215.jpg

20140501_142202.jpg

stopped by DL and got these shots

Thx for the photos, Inside out looks exactly the same as the one tested by STO and STM, although being claimed as 2nd generation due to more power and battery improvement

Thx for the photos, Inside out looks exactly the same as the one tested by STO and STM, although being claimed as 2nd generation due to more power and battery improvement

No the 1st 2 that are on lease until Oct are the 1st generation. The 2nd lease/demo later this year for 2 more will be 2nd generation

No the 1st 2 that are on lease until Oct are the 1st generation. The 2nd lease/demo later this year for 2 more will be 2nd generation

i don't think it's 4 buses they are going to test, i will confirm it with BYD

i don't think it's 4 buses they are going to test, i will confirm it with BYD

Thats what the rep said but also its hard to understand his english.

byd-ebus.jpg

Just one of these visible outside today.

Thats what the rep said but also its hard to understand his english.

i don't think he means 4 buses trust me

i don't think he means 4 buses trust me

He did clearly state they would try both the 1st and 2nd gen's

Intel I have right now is that the current 2 buses run from May-October.

However, at a prior City Council meeting it was stated the test for for 9 months. Either the test is cut back, or else it is plausible additional vehicles will arrive after October. Indeed, part of the test is cold weather. Pointless to end a 9 month test that's meant to include cold weather in October.

Fleet numbers are E-1 and E-2, I will updated the wiki as soon as I can get some photos of E-2. E-1 is built in Jan 2013, with programmed signs from Salt Lake City, UT

Wow. $120k to test it for 9 months?? Pricey. Hmm hopefully I'll see it this summer when I visit Edm.

its a nice ride to drive...mark, shawn and myself got to test drive it...it handled nicely

its a nice ride to drive...mark, shawn and myself got to test drive it...it handled nicely

are they going to decal the bus into a different scheme or leave it plain grey?

from a reliable source recently, the two electric buses(1st generation model) currently in edmonton now will be tested until next spring, and then ETS will get another two from BYD for a 1 year lease(2nd generation model), the two buses they have right now have the same specification as the the one tested in Montreal/Gatineau.

they are going to put some wrap according to training.... the current ones in Edmonton will be here till October or November then they will be going back for 2 of the 2nd generation.this also from the training dept. the 1st generation will not be here for winter. The 2nd generation will be and they will be Mitchell runs but parked and charged at DLM