canuck600

Why are so many people that are on the Autism Spectrum, transportation hobbyist?

I’m not autistic but I grew up with ADHD, and I always found an interest in transportation because I do have a thing for patterns and orderly systems.

Now here’s my rant. What annoys me is how many people tend to look down on people with autism/ADHD/etc, seeing it as a bad thing, believing they won’t accomplish anything, etc. I am including this because I had to deal with parents, teachers etc having this attitude throughout my childhood.

For reference, I am now an airline pilot at age 21, not because of who I am, or my psychological conditions, or lack thereof, but only because I put in the hustle to get myself to where I am. 

• Like 7

I can’t speak for anyone, but as a person who has mild autism (PDD), I find riding the buses and metro relaxing and calms me down when I’m stressed or having anxiety... When I was in high school in Ottawa, I would travel from Western Ottawa and Eastern Ottawa (in my last year of high school) by taking OC Transpo and I would go out of my way to take specific buses that I learned runs specific routes, which a lot of people who don’t have autism would do