Des Moines (DART)

MAX BRT

I thought it was time Des Moines had its own topic. (Yet another system called DART!)

The system is quite interesting to me, as it includes Orion buses and Xcelsior hybrids, in addition to Gilligs. Its also a growing TA and I like the livery. Photos of Des Moines DART are available from the Transit Camera: http://www.flickr.co...157625701556200

The following is a current article from businessrecord.com

http://www.businessr...t/175/837/62076

D.M. area bus ridership up 15 percent

BY KYLE OPPENHUIZEN, Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:59 PM

Ridership on Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) buses was up 15 percent year-over-year in December, officials announced Tuesday.

December ridership totaled 347,213 passengers. The increase is significant because December is the first month for which year-over-year comparisons can be made after DART added or changed a number of routes in November 2012.

The fastest growing route has been the new Route 60 loop between Ingersoll Ave. and University Ave. that goes through downtown. It grew from 15,763 riders in December of 2012 to 26,354 riders in December of 2013, a 67 percent increase. DART would like to make that route into a bus rapid transit, or rail-like bus service line, in the future.

DART officials are keeping a close eye on ridership numbers now that there are direct year-over-year comparisons with the new and changed routes, a DART spokesman told the Business Record earlier this month.

In addition to the route changes, DART opened its $21 million Central Station in November of 2012; added frequency and later hours to some routes and has launched a beta version of a trip planner. Riders can now also search for public transit directions using Google Maps and Bing Maps.

"The region's investment in public transit is paying off," said Steve Van Oort, Polk County supervisor and chairman of the DART Commission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Alright lets do this update!

So after the BHA Convention I took advantage of a day off and went down to Des Moines and Ames for a bit of fanning. On that trip one of my main goals was to photograph some of the D60 in service on the DART express routes. So after staking out a good spot to catch the express runs going by, I made it there, saw a few 40' buses, but no artics. Another BHA attendee also happened to be there, so we hung out and took photos of all the express route buses going by, well almost all. A block away we observed a D60 pass by and assumed it must be deadheading from the garage to start a run. After taking photos of just about every single bus on the express routes passing by 3rd and Grand however, it turned out they were all 40' units on those runs. Only the Ankeny run, which was a block away, had a D60. D60 photo attempt FAIL :( So we then proceeded to the Central Station, got some more shots there, and called it off for the day. I then headed into the station to catch the bus back to where I was staying, and was casually greeted by a transit supervisor. He was wondering whether we were "from that ISU class". I told him no we were just transit enthusiasts and were getting photos of buses as a hobby. He said "Oh, okay, yeah there's a class from ISU that sends students here to observe and take photos." Then I asked if the articulated buses were operating on express routes anymore. He stated they don't run them much during the summer, except sometimes on the Ankeny one. They now tend to run only during the school sessions on express service. However they definitely will be running them during the State Fair, so if you can come by for the Fair and you'll see them.

Fast forward to last week, another day off, so back down to Iowa again. This time I varied my trip a bit, stopping in Waterloo, Cedar rapids, Iowa City, and Marshalltown en route to Des Moines. Upon arrival I immediately headed to downtown, caught the ART on DART pilot project bus XDE40 1033 on the D-Line, and headed to the Capitol for some Fair Shuttle photos. D60 photo attempt WIN :) After getting a few nice shots, I was then able to catch the 2009 Orion VIING HEV back on the D-Line, man that thing ran nice, and proceeded back towards the Central Station to catch a bus back to where I stashed my car. As if getting nice sunny shots of some D60 wasn't enough, the trip I was waiting for back to the mall just happened to have the ex-Orion Allison EP40 demo on it, so I got to ride that as well.
All in all a good visit! Thanks for reading, and enjoy the photos. (Photos of lots of other DART buses are available as well in the DART vehicles set.)

14787790679_afed8243a1_t.jpg 14787936497_ca2e0986c5_t.jpg 14787798270_9929985f03_t.jpg 14974470275_dc1e38aaa5_t.jpg 14951502846_1699e825c7_t.jpg 14787789119_9eaa0916bc_t.jpg 14787932757_64077dcf7b_t.jpg 14787785199_486bf41515_t.jpg 14787934607_0c2bb775d0_t.jpg 14787801600_8fba4310a1_t.jpg 14974148322_d64fce9ec7_t.jpg

DART has an RFP out for 6 refurbished articulated buses with an option to buy 3 additional units. The only thing I can think of is the Ex. OC Transpo artics being used for this. http://www.ridedart.com/sites/default/files/business-center/procurement/DART--RFP%20FY15-R001%20Refurbished%20Articulated%20Buses.pdf

Looks like the days are numbered for their 2000 New Flyer D40HFs.

DART has an RFP out for 6 refurbished articulated buses with an option to buy 3 additional units. The only thing I can think of is the Ex. OC Transpo artics being used for this. http://www.ridedart.com/sites/default/files/business-center/procurement/DART--RFP%20FY15-R001%20Refurbished%20Articulated%20Buses.pdf

Some of those ex-OC Transpo D60s are in St Louis and others in Indianapolis. Anyone know if there are still some available?

• 1 month later...

Is there any specific mention that these will indeed be ex-OC Transpo D60LF? All I've read are "remanufactured articulated buses". Does CCW only offer ex-OC artic units?

I'm not saying they won't be those, it does seem like the most likely possibility. I'm just wondering if there could be any others.

Is there any specific mention that these will indeed be ex-OC Transpo D60LF? All I've read are "remanufactured articulated buses". Does CCW only offer ex-OC artic units?

I'm not saying they won't be those, it does seem like the most likely possibility. I'm just wondering if there could be any others.

Good question!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The buses Des Moines Dart are ex - OCTA buses from California. They have only two doors vs the three door ex-oc transpo has. Here's a picture from one of the buses at CCW attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. and photo! From the looks of the unit in that shot they mean what they say when they rebuild :o

Welcome to the board by the way :)