Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

Sign in to follow this  
mustangali

Mississauga Transit - New Hires

Hi, I have applied for the Mississauga transit operator recruitment for 2014. I am curious if I was hired how long it takes to start getting weekends off and not having to work split shifts? The Mississauga website states 15 years, but I've heard it's much less than that. Thank you.

Hi, I have applied for the Mississauga transit operator recruitment for 2014. I am curious if I was hired how long it takes to start getting weekends off and not having to work split shifts? The Mississauga website states 15 years, but I've heard it's much less than that. Thank you.

You don't just apply to the job and get hired like that, there's interviews, job shadowing and tests to be done. Although I have not gone through the process myself, I know that the hiring process can take up to a year.

As for getting weekends off, I know a driver who at 6 years can now get Saturday/Sunday off, they're working splits during the week though.

You'll be on splits for a long time if you want your weekends off. As service is expanded mostly during rush hour, it requires straight shifts to be split up. This is because a split shift cannot cover both rush hour periods as most buses pull out before 6AM in the morning and most of the evening rush hour buses don't return until after 6PM. With split shifts, the days can't be longer than 12 hours from punch in to punch out, on top of that, split shifts with a longer break in the middle (2 and half hours I think?) get paid a special spread premium, so it costs the company more money to even have a split shift out there for both rush hours.

Long story short, there are going to be a lot more split crews in the future than straight crews.

Given today's crews, it might take you 8-10 years to get afternoon/evening straight shifts with weekends off. In 2 years however, it may take even longer.