The Deadly "Blind Spot" on Transit Buses

On 5/5/2020 at 10:21 PM, CATMAN MEDIA GROUP said:

I Have Designed Some Fictional Models Of A Blind Spot Mirror System.

Simply 2 Electronic Screens Hooked Up To 2 Cameras, Acting As A Blind Spot Camera. It Can Be Installed On The Dashboard, Or Connected To The Mirrors.

Although in theory it’s a good idea in reality it isn’t, having seen the live demo Prevost had of the camera mirror system it really does take away a proper view from the operator to distinguish what we are seeing when turning, it almost looks “fake” and doesn’t offer a real sense of where your bus is when turning, for blind spots yes it works, for practicality and safety I believe it draws too much attention away from the road itself 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3cb3ab7c9b7de12de6aa488917b9a8d.jpeg

the mirrors on this LFR here provide the lowest possible mirror and when set up properly the small convex will give a perfect view and allow you to see the left side with almost 0 visibility issue 

image.thumb.jpeg.be1db4d6e5428ed1bae3cb6c9bd5dbc4.jpeg

if agencies choose the larger mirrors, pair it with the new nova drivers window and your visibility increases drastically, it’s mounted lower yet and still provides excellent view due to the larger window and no obstructing frame 

• Like 2
On 4/26/2020 at 12:39 AM, roamer said:

Thanks, A. Wong !

The article didn't mention the left mirrors, however.  I may write to the reporter and have him view this thread.  And maybe to Bradshaw too.

Although bus manufacturers have some responsibility in making the windshield A-pillar as thin as possible, Edmonton Transit, in my opinion, is derelict by using those mirrors.   Believe me, it makes a world of difference by not having the mirror housing blocking your vision being mounted at eye-level when making a left turn in a bus.  Being able to easily see over the left mirror housing is the difference between night and day  ...or it was for me. 

Just to give you an update on this one, a ticket was issued, and the court has to decide a penalty: https://globalnews.ca/news/6965220/edmonton-bus-driver-fined-fatal-pedestrian-collision/

In this unfortunate situation, I am thinking there is already so much regret that no other fine needs to be issued.

• Thanks 2