2014 Edmonton & Area Spottings

BlueBirdVision

Interesting...maybe it's stolen :rolleyes: I doubt if it is a charter, as there is a range (I think 80 km) outside Edmonton that charters are allowed, unless an exception was made in this case. I couldn't find it on their website, unless there is no longer a range limit. (I think the range limit was (is) due to radio transmission / reception).

I recently rode the route 1 and 4 and boy those routes need higher frequency! They could easily both be every 10 minutes !

ETS is sending buses aimlessly wandering suburban routes instead. Having said that, I ride on a weekly basis 3 of those aimless suburban routes. Meanwhile, everyone else is stuck on overcrowded buses in the Downtown where there is actually demand for transit.

A bit different tone than I usually use regarding suburban routes. 1 of the 3 routes does get heavy loads, the other 2 do pretty decent. 2 of the routes service a bus garage and I honestly believe that's why these routes have the service levels they do. I think it's ridiculous a suburban route is running before some main services Saturday's and Sunday's.

But yes, core services are over crowded. ETS seems to have a phobia of scheduling consistent service more frequent than 15 minutes in this city.

What do XD40's have to do with anything? How is that even close to relevant to anything I said?

He's right. There's concerns about bus availability and down time, the 200's are beyond worn out. Need more buses = XD40's.

What do XD40's have to do with anything? How is that even close to relevant to anything I said?
Well the 200's are beyond worn out. And like I said before. If the ridership on routes need more service. Order some more buses to cover that.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

ETS is sending buses aimlessly wandering suburban routes instead. Having said that, I ride on a weekly basis 3 of those aimless suburban routes. Meanwhile, everyone else is stuck on overcrowded buses in the Downtown where there is actually demand for transit.

A bit different tone than I usually use regarding suburban routes. 1 of the 3 routes does get heavy loads, the other 2 do pretty decent. 2 of the routes service a bus garage and I honestly believe that's why these routes have the service levels they do. I think it's ridiculous a suburban route is running before some main services Saturday's and Sunday's.

But yes, core services are over crowded. ETS seems to have a phobia of scheduling consistent service more frequent than 15 minutes in this city.

He's right. There's concerns about bus availability and down time, the 200's are beyond worn out. Need more buses = XD40's.

If the 200's are in that shape. Order at least 27 buses to make sure bus shortages happen less often. And 4880-4888 are out and about 24/7. About the ridership increase it.

If your increasing midday service you just keep some of the peak keys out for all day runs, you wouldn't need anymore buses. And from a legistic stand point you guys could use more shuttles on your outlying routes thus freeing some larger buses if needed

Edmonton is runs, not keys. Lets keep local terms in use.

By your logic, you could just keep all buses out all day. What you're missing in reality is service hours. Edmonton could have 2000 buses, but it does them no good if the service hours aren't there to operate them.

Indeed, we increased the SD-160 purchase for NLRT to 20 cars from 10 cars, but, the operating budget has been reduced so in the end we're not going to have the money to run those 20 cars at the start.

Para transit vs. conventional bus is a moot point really. You need the service hours, and the greatest cost of operating a bus is the cost of the driver, not the operating cost of the vehicle.

Sure, a para transit operator is a lower wage cost than a conventional operator. It would seem clear cut: Take the existing budgets, but buy a lot of para transit buses, pay those operators less wages, invest the "savings" into more service hours for conventional buses. First though, you'd have to look at the live cycle cost of a light duty (7 year), medium duty (10 year), and heavy duty (20 year). It would be a lot of work, but, I suspect the life cycle costs of 2 medium duty buses (Passport's) or 3 light duty buses (Arboc's) would be close to, if not more, than 1 conventional bus. At that point you've reduce the flexibility to operate your system as those para transit buses are only good in certain times and certain places whereas a conventional bus is good in most places most of the time.

This does make sence and I don't understand you need service hour the reason I said that some rush hour runs could stay out for midday was because I was try to point out you don't need extra buses ( in reference to the xd40's previously mentioned ) in terms of increased frequency on a few routes during the midday.

So sorry for any confusion, I was only trying to point out the one fact that if you have the service hours to increase route frequency during midday you wouldn't really need new buses

The real cruel part of the situation is that there are enough buses on the route 4 corridor to run 10 minute service middays and weekday evening already; it's just not set up properly. The 4 is ever 15 minutes, and then the 94 and 106 are every 30 minutes, so there are 6 buses an hour on the Bonnie Doon to WEM section, other than the short variation between Meadowlark and the Whitemud. That's one of the more infuriating things about ETS is that rather than boosting service on the mainlines beyond 15 minutes they will instead create or enhance service on supplementary routes (such as the 15,73,94,106,120,134,135) which doesn't always mesh properly with the main route.

• Board Admin

Thanks to a tip from M. Siebert (do you have an account on this board?), I went out to get some shots of the New Flyer MiDi demo here in Edmonton:

nfimidi6903.jpg

nfimidi6903a.jpg

nfimidi6903da.jpg

nfimidi6903intr.jpg

nfimidi6903r.jpg

nfimidi6903b.jpg

nfimidi6903plate.jpg

nfimidi6903r2.jpg

nfimidi6903c.jpg

No clue on if ETS is demoing it, or if it is just passing through.

No clue on if ETS is demoing it, or if it is just passing through.

Might just be passing through. Given the decals for ABC, I would imagine it's going to be a demo ABC will be sending around the US. Hell, that might well be the first New Flyer demo for ABC!

Although, on the other hand... why send it through Edmonton, unless it's heading to Alaska... even then, you'd think you'd send it on a ship... so Alask still really doesn't explain it being in Edmonton.

• Board Admin

It would make sense for the Edmonton & surrounding area transit agencies to at least check it out, we'll have to keep our eyes out to see if it is around here for a few days. ETS tested a bunch of buses of this size 9 years ago, but settled on the Passport units.

Both Strathcona County Transit and St. Albert Transit did run the previous rendition of the New Flyer MiDi (Thomas SLFs). And Strathcona is currently operating the (very) big brother of the MiDi. While I can't see either of them going back to a bus of this size at this point in time, perhaps there are some interchangeable parts with the Enviro500s that would make operating these on lighter runs attractive.