Community Transit

Blue Bus Fan

On August 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM, SounderBruce said:

Swift now has colors for lines: current line to become the "Blue Line" and the new line on Airport Way/SR 527 the "Green Line": http://www.communitytransit.org/newsrelease/1663

I feel like these colours are wrong choice due light rail lines using the same colour. I think they should have community input to see if it will confuse people on which Blue line or Green line to use.

Just now, Blue Bus Fan said:

I feel like these colours are wrong choice due light rail lines using the same colour. I think they should have community input to see if it will confuse people on which Blue line or Green line to use.

The Green Line will run nowhere near Snohomish County and not until the mid-2030s if ST3 passes. The Blue Line might cause a bit of confusion, since it's likely to run Redmond-Lynnwood, but it should be clear enough that one of these is a bus and not a train.

I asked CT about it for my STB write-up, and they said that discussions with ST showed no issues either, and that they would be careful to only use colors with the Swift brand (e.g. "Swift Green Line", not "Green Line") whenever they can.

11 minutes ago, SounderBruce said:

The Green Line will run nowhere near Snohomish County and not until the mid-2030s if ST3 passes. The Blue Line might cause a bit of confusion, since it's likely to run Redmond-Lynnwood, but it should be clear enough that one of these is a bus and not a train.

I asked CT about it for my STB write-up, and they said that discussions with ST showed no issues either, and that they would be careful to only use colors with the Swift brand (e.g. "Swift Green Line", not "Green Line") whenever they can.

As tourist two same colour lines, that I don't think one is completely different models, that  parallel each would confuse the hell out of me. 

• 3 months later...

It Appears as if we have some Community Transit Buses being auctioned off at the next James G. Murphy Auction up in Kenmore, mostly the '98 D60LFs but there is a '98 D40LF PLUS an '03 D60LF somehow made it there, as well as a few shuttle vans.

Auction Link:

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/4786

My Youtube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pnwelevator

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Service proposal for the September 2017 and March 2018 service changes is out for public comment: http://www.communitytransit.org/news/service-expansion-proposal

Highlights:

• Extensions for Routes 105, 115, 196 and 209
  • New Lynnwood-Boeing service on Route 107
  • Everett route changes for Routes 270, 271 and 280
  • Eliminating Route 277 in favor of Route 270/271 service to Boeing

I'm especially excited for the Route 209 extension in my area, as well as the Route 105 extension that will make it easier to attend public hearings at Community Transit headquarters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, SounderBruce said:

Just saw an out-of-service Swift DE60LFA headed southbound on I-5 near Marysville at 9:30 pm today. Anyone know what's up with that? Clandestine Swift BRT practice at Smokey Point Transit Center?

Probably either a maintenance road test, or it was sent out for some kind of warranty work. My guess at this hour would be road test.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumped into these two shiny new BRTs (17112, 17113) that were stopped @ Lynnwood Transit Center while on their way up for delivery at around Noon Today! Now 17112's Driver apparently missed the turn coming into the TC and had to back up, snared a couple of buses that were trying to get out (ST 91501 even had to back up & made a WIDE Turn to get to the I-5 Ramp) Wasn't a bathroom break on the way up I know that much, but one only wonders what these buses were doing at the TC... 

17113.JPG

17113 Side.JPG

17112.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The zones aren't being removed. Rather, on commuter routes that also do in-county service, the full fare will be charged no matter what section you're using; as it stand now, a passenger can request the lower fare if they're not going all the way to Downtown Seattle, requiring the driver to manually change the ORCA reader.

• Like 1

Finally had a chance to do so, so here is one of the new Community Transit BRTs on video for all to check out :) Ended up having to chase this thing up to Lake Stevens after it pulled out before I could get off the 512 at Ash Way P&R, must say this was an EXTREMELY smooth bus, much less wobbly, boat rocky than their XD/XDE40s.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

A couple of glaring omissions on the wiki page that I want to address:

There’s no mention of the GMC Rts #400 Series.

Theres no mention of the Gillig Phanton #700 Series.

Does anybody have the retired fleet numbers for these buses? And if so, could you please update wiki? Thanks in advance. 

• 9 months later...

Xcelsiors have made their way into the Swift fleet ahead of the Green Line's debut and the Blue Line's switch to 10-minute weekday headways.

29818366077_a423b212d3_b.jpg

CT 18700 in Downtown Everett by SounderBruce, on Flickr

42945025530_1a4f43f48b_b.jpg

CT 18700 in Downtown Everett by SounderBruce, on Flickr

44706073362_9b942f6d93_b.jpg

CT 18700 in Lynnwood by SounderBruce, on Flickr

42945027160_29f8965434_b.jpg

CT 18700 in Lynnwood by SounderBruce, on Flickr

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SounderBruce said:

The agency is also going to stick to diesel-only buses for now, since the 2011 NFI XDE40 hybrids were more difficult to maintain.

All the other Puget Sound transit agencies are looking into e-buses, but somehow CT wants to join Sound Transit in staying put with diesel. A sad story for an agency that was among those to pioneer double-deckers and has the second-largest such fleet in the US (not to add that Sound Transit wants to eventually go fully DD) and is well on its way to playing a "fun" game of catch-up.

I haven't heard of ST going fully double-decker, and given that their operations are split between three very different agencies I don't think it would be feasible.

CT doesn't have the luxury of being an innovator unless it can compete for the few state grants that are around. It needs to focus on getting more Swift lines and other semi-frequent services ready, and more importantly coordinating a smooth transition to Link-feeder buses that will replace the long-haul downtown expresses.

They have a desperate need to replace their oldest buses as well, with many of them well past their FTA lifespan.  By going to straight diesel they are going to be able to maximize capital dollars to decrease the age of their fleet more quickly.  I'd say in 10 years they run the risk of seeming archaic compared to the rest of the state, but I'd say more power to them reducing the amount of greenhouse gases emitted by the fleet by retiring less efficient buses and replacing them with more modern clean diesel buses.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are 9159 and 9171 at Aurora Village TC serving Swift on February 4. Also saw 9158, 9164, 9165, 9166, and 9169.

Also have some pictures of 40-foots serving UW, but I'm in need of a better place to host images now that Flickr has changed their business model...

DSC_0449.JPG

DSC_0427.jpg

• Like 3