Community Transit

Blue Bus Fan

The XD60s are almost certainly for Swift II. Route 201/202 aren't at the point where they would need 60-foot buses...yet.The XD40s will probably be replacing the 1999 D40LFs.

Do they still not operate 1998 D40LF? So, wouldn't they need to replace those buses before the 1999 D40LF.

I through that Swift II has been funded yet. Also wouldn't they need more than 10 buses for that Swift route?

The XD60s are almost certainly for Swift II. Route 201/202 aren't at the point where they would need 60-foot buses...yet.

The XD40s will probably be replacing the 1999 D40LFs

CT frowns on freeway standees. If the 201/202 pair average more than 30 passengers in an off-peak time period, they will become artic candidates.

Remember, CT has only used up 1/3 of their budgeted hour increase. They are constrained by driver hire rates, much like Metro.

Something I'd overlooked though... If the 424 has not been made double-decker friendly, those 10 artics might be for that route and UW service.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is (hopefully) the very last Sunday with no Community Transit service. Woohoo!

Took a trip up to Snohomish yesterday and I was hoping for a chance to ride a D40i while I was up there. Thankfully the bus gods were nice and gave me one on both directions of my trip. They're interesting buses. The commuter seats are perfect for long rural routes, the interior still has a very modern feel, but that sliding back door is just so painfully slow.

• 3 weeks later...

What is preventing CT from installing three position bike racks on the existing fleet?

Just the capital cost?

I wonder if it adds on too much to the length of the bus.

I'd love to see the entire commuter fleet (which will almost entirely be Double Talls soon) have 3-bike racks. Some local routes (like those slated to use the newly-ordered XD60s) should also see them.

Ex Community Transit 7641 in a parking lot in the Denny Triangle area of Seattle.

18483159633_958f86c82f_b.jpg

Ex Community Transit D30LF (7641) by LB Bryce, on Flickr

19103844855_d49558e938_b.jpg

19103845325_427ab397c5_b.jpg

19107158871_c0f19840c1_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

CT is going to use its newly acquired funding authority to put a 0.3% sales tax increase on the November 3, 2015 ballot: http://www.communitytransit.org/newsrelease/1616

$25 million more per year to fund Swift II operations (the capital costs are covered by WSDOT and FTA grants), increased local frequency, new routes (SR 9 service from Marysville to Mill Creek via Lake Stevens and Snohomish!), and planning for truncating service when Lynnwood Link comes online in 2023.

• 1 month later...

CT has started their campaign for the transit tax increase with a new website: http://www.communitytransit.org/futuretransit/

The third section has a map of a possible Swift III line (Edmonds to Mill Creek via Lynnwood TC and Ash Way P&R) to open in 2023 (right alongside with Lynnwood Link). On a similar note, Swift II is all but confirmed to be rebranded as the "Swift Green Line", while the existing line will become the "Swift Blue Line". (source).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Community Transit Now prop. is leading by 50.58% this measure is most likely to be pass.

Um dude, that's hardly passing, passing by less than one percent. And since today was election I doubt more than 30% of the total votes have been counted. Its still FAR FAR too close to actually determine a winner...

Passing by 746 votes, of 45,160 votes counted so far. Roughly 16% of the total ballots sent out. Still far too close. It could, and may very well fail.

Um dude, that's hardly passing, passing by less than one percent. And since today was election I doubt more than 30% of the total votes have been counted. Its still FAR FAR too close to actually determine a winner...

Passing by 746 votes, of 45,160 votes counted so far. Roughly 16% of the total ballots sent out. Still far too close. It could, and may very well fail.

Yes that true so it could go either but I think it could still pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Some information on the new service Prop. 1 will be providing: http://www.communitytransit.org/newsrelease/1631

The new sales tax will not be collected until April 2016, and the agency will not see new revenue until next June, but Community Transit will get a jump start by using reserve funds to pay for about 3,300 hours of new service starting March 13, 2016.

The September 2016 Service Change will require us to increase our workforce we will need more drivers, mechanics and other important positions. That recruitment will also begin in the spring, if not sooner, [CEO Emmett Heath] said.

Proposition 1's approval means there will be funding to operate a second Swift bus rapid transit line between Paine Field and Canyon Park in Bothell. Community Transit is in the process of seeking up to $40 million in federal grants to buy buses and build the stations for this line.

Meanwhile, other Community Transit projects will continue, including:

• The Seaway Transit Center at 75th Street and Seaway Boulevard, which will consolidate existing transit service to Boeing and will be the eventual northern terminus for the second Swift line. This facility received funding from the Washington State Regional Mobility Grant program and is scheduled to be operational in 2017.
  • The Mukilteo Park & Ride on the west side of Paine Field will offer about 200 parking spaces. This facility also received state Regional Mobility Grant funding and is expected to open in 2017.
  • A voice and data radio system upgrade to ensure reliable dispatch-to-vehicle communications, and a new electronic rider alert system that will help riders get reroutes, delays and other service information right away.

March 2016 additions: http://www.commtrans.org/newsrelease/1634

More commuter service

Route 413 (Swamp Creek-Seattle) – One weekday southbound trip will be added at 5:48 a.m.

Route 415 (Seattle-North Lynnwood) – One weekday northbound trip will be added at 3:15 p.m.

Route 421 (Marysville-Seattle) – One weekday southbound trip will be added at 5:15 a.m.

Route 435 (Seattle-Mill Creek) – One weekday northbound trip will be added at 3:55 p.m.

Extended span of service

Swift (Everett Station-Aurora Village)– Two early morning trips are being added to the Swiftbus rapid transit line along Highway 99. One new trip will run in each direction starting at 4:40 a.m.

Route 240 (Stanwood-Smokey Point) – One weeknight eastbound trip will be added, leaving Stanwood at 8:25 p.m.

Route 271 (Gold Bar-Everett) – One weeknight westbound trip will be added, leaving Gold Bar at 8:55 p.m.

Improved midday service

Route 112 (Mountlake Terrace-Ash Way) – Seven weekday trips will be added between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to provide 30-minute service on this busy route throughout the day until 7 p.m.

Extended trips

Route 880 (Mukilteo-University District) – All trips extended to Mukilteo Ferry Terminal