GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)

Sudbury_Transit

Going by the transit garage the other day, I noticed one of the retired Classic's getting towed off the property. The new Nova LFS's should be arriving by Sept. as a 5 bus order, as soon as I see anything, I'll be sure to post the info and pics on here. In the meantime, everything else is running smoothly transit wise here, im still trying to track down Orion V 905 in her new colours so stay tuned to my site for pics of that. Thats about it for now, figured I'd start a brand new Sudbury discussion thread. If anybody has info on happenings around here, feel free to post, take care!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was driving around on the weekend and decided to pop on over to the garage. Lone behold, I found 2 more buses that are off the roster. 925, a 1992 Orion V has already been stripped of some parts, rear windows and other misc. parts. Parked beside it is 882, a 1988 MCI Classic. This bus is the only Classic that still wore the 1992 paint scheme. Its too bad these buses have come to the end of their line, but below I have 2 photos of whats left of them for now, enjoy!

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Oh and by the way, we recieved 3 more Nova LFS's, they are numbered 754, 755 and 756. I'll try to get pics this weekend when im out and about and will add them to my site, stay tuned for more details!

Was driving around on the weekend and decided to pop on over to the garage. Lone behold, I found 2 more buses that are off the roster. 925, a 1992 Orion V has already been stripped of some parts, rear windows and other misc. parts. Parked beside it is 882, a 1988 MCI Classic. This bus is the only Classic that still wore the 1992 paint scheme. Its too bad these buses have come to the end of their line, but below I have 2 photos of whats left of them for now, enjoy!

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Oh and by the way, we recieved 3 more Nova LFS's, they are numbered 754, 755 and 756. I'll try to get pics this weekend when im out and about and will add them to my site, stay tuned for more details!

Is this the classic?

553.jpg_thumb.jpg

I was in Sudbury this past weekend and noticed a Nova LFS numbered 762 and I think I remember seeing one numbered 763. Are those the new ones that you were referring to? Wish I had the opportunity to take photos. I saw a good variety of buses around town.

Yes, sorry about that, they are numbered in that series, 762, 763, 764 and 765. I believe we're waiting on 2 more, most likely 760 and 761, those may be the new Nova Suburbans we're waiting on as we did purchase 2. I'll try to snap some pics of the new buses as soon as I can find the time. I'll post more info as it comes available!

Is this the classic?

553.jpg_thumb.jpg

It could be, its a small pic and hard to see the number. I believe all of the classics now except for 872 and 873 are painted in the new scheme.

• 1 month later...

Well its official. We finally recieved the first 2 Coach style buses out of 4 total, and they are indeed brand new Nova LFS's. They are numbered 766 and 767 and will be put in service in January. They have the coach style seating and will be used on routes such as the Azilda/Chelmsford run, as well as the Lively runs. These trips usually take about 1hr or more so it will be a nice change. Below are two pics that I found from the Northern Life website. Enjoy!

766_1.JPG

766_2.JPG

Well its official. We finally recieved the first 2 Coach style buses out of 4 total, and they are indeed brand new Nova LFS's. They are numbered 766 and 767 and will be put in service in January. They have the coach style seating and will be used on routes such as the Azilda/Chelmsford run, as well as the Lively runs. These trips usually take about 1hr or more so it will be a nice change. Below are two pics that I found from the Northern Life website. Enjoy!

766_1.JPG

766_2.JPG

Looks nice.

I would just call it a regular LFS though, with nice seats!

I originally thought that it was the suburban LFS model (no rear door), but after looking at the pics, it's just a regular LFS with only suburban seating..:D

it also does not appear to have seats on the front wheel wells, which the suburban LFS is supposed to have...so yeah, its just a normal LFS with nice seats.

Yeah you can pretty well call it that. I saw the inside on Saturday and yeah its pretty well just a LFS with luggage racks, cushioned seats and reading lights. I hope that our riders don't deface them like they've already done with the regular LFS's we just got. It would be a shame. Mind you they are just going to be on the long distance runs. I'm going to see if I can get some better shots of these tomorrow. Stay tuned!

When I was out and about yesterday, I swung by the garage and noticed that another Classic is off the roster. This time, 884 is the unlucky victim. I remember riding this bus lots when I was a kid, and also on the Cambrian Express runs to my College. It will be missed. Below is a photo of her, and a photo of all 3 buses so far that are off the roads. Enjoy!

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

When I was out and about yesterday, I swung by the garage and noticed that another Classic is off the roster. This time, 884 is the unlucky victim. I remember riding this bus lots when I was a kid, and also on the Cambrian Express runs to my College. It will be missed. Below is a photo of her, and a photo of all 3 buses so far that are off the roads. Enjoy!

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

Nice pictures! Nice snow too! :P

You should, if you don't already, get to know an employee at the garage and see if you can squander one of those rollsigns! :P:D

Nice pictures! Nice snow too! :D

You should, if you don't already, get to know an employee at the garage and see if you can squander one of those rollsigns! :P:D

I already have one of the roll signs :P, I have 3, one from 1990, the one you see in that pic, and also one of the new ones. I know too many people at the garage :P, including the Director and Assistant Director of Greater Sudbury Transit. It helps when you want pics of the latest buses and whatnot. Oh and the snow you see, well its all gone now, gotta love the warm temps up here in the north.

When I was out and about yesterday, I swung by the garage and noticed that another Classic is off the roster. This time, 884 is the unlucky victim.

I think 884 will be going to the Greater Sudbury Police Service (or is it the fire service? - my memory escaps me). There was an article in the Sudbury Star about 2 weeks ago stating that a "1988 - 48 Passenger coach valued at 6000$" was sold for training purposes.

I think 884 will be going to the Greater Sudbury Police Service (or is it the fire service? - my memory escaps me). There was an article in the Sudbury Star about 2 weeks ago stating that a "1988 - 48 Passenger coach valued at 6000$" was sold for training purposes.

I know that they did buy one and used it for the jaws of life extraction, I have pics on my site. I didn't know of anything though lately of another bus being sold to the city. If I hear anything though, i'll be sure to post it!

• 3 months later...

Was up in Sudbury on the weekend. Spotted another classic next to the garage that has been put to pasture. That makes 3 out there now along with that Orion V. Sudbury also has a new Ford Cutaway van sitting at the garage painted in the city's colors. Probably for low ridership routes and not the Handi-Transit service since that is farmed out to a seperate company. Many buses were also displaying "Go Wolves Go" on their destination signs for the Sudbury Wolves OHL team.

• 2 weeks later...

Was up in Sudbury on the weekend. Spotted another classic next to the garage that has been put to pasture. That makes 3 out there now along with that Orion V. Sudbury also has a new Ford Cutaway van sitting at the garage painted in the city's colors. Probably for low ridership routes and not the Handi-Transit service since that is farmed out to a seperate company. Many buses were also displaying "Go Wolves Go" on their destination signs for the Sudbury Wolves OHL team.

Your right. I went by the garage today and 892 has joined the retirement group. 925 seems to be missing more and more parts everytime I go by there, pretty soon its just going to be a frame. Anyways I added a pic of the buses as of now. I'm sure this year, we'll be seeing the retirement of 871-873, the 3 1987 GM Classics from the old City of Valley East. They're looking worse for wear every time I see them.

retiredbuses.jpg

• 1 month later...

Apparently Sudbury Transit has implemented new fareboxes on all buses a few weeks ago. It's one of those automatic validating systems where you insert your fare card and the box will print on your card what day / time that the fare expires. Not sure who makes this.

Apparently Sudbury Transit has implemented new fareboxes on all buses a few weeks ago. It's one of those automatic validating systems where you insert your fare card and the box will print on your card what day / time that the fare expires. Not sure who makes this.

Sounds like GFI Odyessy.

• 1 month later...