GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)

Sudbury_Transit

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last few days in Sudbury. When I got to town, there was no buses in the dead line. Oldest bus I saw in service was D40LF # 951. Newest in service I saw was NovaLFS # 808. When I left town this morning there was 8 Orion V buses in the dead line all a mix of 90, 91, and 92's.

• 4 months later...

One of the new Nova's was in a minor accident today with a mini-van, looked like the bus was turning off Lansing Ave and preparing to stop on Lasalle to pick up when it was struck. Not sure of the number but there was minor damage, just a little body work on the rear drivers side of the bus. Everybody on board was alright and transferred to another bus. Going to take a quick swing by the garage tonight to see if its sitting around and to verify that there are no more Orion V's left, I know a few weeks ago I saw 942 on a school special, but it may be gone now as well, stay tuned!

Went by the garage last night and seen that Orion V 942 was parked inside, this most likely means that it is the last of the high-floor buses in the fleet. Orion V 914 was parked outside along the side of the garage stripped of some parts and minus an engine. Got a shot anyway of 914 as I could only see the rear of 942.

http://sudburytransit.fotopic.net/c1924881.html

• 1 month later...

Seen Orion V 942 today working a School Special. Good to see that its still in use as its the last of the high floor buses in Sudbury. Hard to believe at one time, these were the main buses of the fleet after the New Looks were retired. Now its the Nova LFS thats taking over the fleet here. We are supposed to be getting a few more new buses this year, will be interesting to see if we stick with Nova, or try out NFI or Orion for a change.

Dose any one have a picture of the inside of a D40LF

Which D40LF's do you want a pic of inside. Buses 951-953 have different colour seats than 954-955 because they were from the former City of Sudbury, where the other 2 are from the former town of Rayside Balfour. Then there are the 2004 D40LF's too, 740-745. I'll get a pic for you next time they are in the garage during lay over.

Seen Orion V 942 today working a School Special. Good to see that its still in use as its the last of the high floor buses in Sudbury. Hard to believe at one time, these were the main buses of the fleet after the New Looks were retired. Now its the Nova LFS thats taking over the fleet here. We are supposed to be getting a few more new buses this year, will be interesting to see if we stick with Nova, or try out NFI or Orion for a change.

Well if thats the case someone should update the wiki.....

Which D40LF's do you want a pic of inside. Buses 951-953 have different colour seats than 954-955 because they were from the former City of Sudbury, where the other 2 are from the former town of Rayside Balfour. Then there are the 2004 D40LF's too, 740-745. I'll get a pic for you next time they are in the garage during lay over.

I would like to see them both if possible.

As promised, pics of the inside of our D40LF's.

952 is a 1995 model with the grey and green seats.

952_int_1_1.jpg

955 is also a 1995 model but was ordered for the former Town of Rayside Balfour.

955_int_1_1.jpg

741 is a 2004 model with the grey seats.

741_int_1_1.jpg

All New Flyers feature the stop announcement system as well.

Was out and about today and decided to snap some shots of the P.M. rush buses working the University runs. Pics will be posted in my Sudbury Transit Gallery of other sightings. Anyway, Nova LFS 971 which is a 1997 model, went by on the L.U. Express with a new Luminator LED display on both the front and side of the bus. The old flip dot's that came with the buses are starting to fail. Also, the rear of the bus has changed as well, wasn't able to get a clear shot, but it has a new engine compartment door with the round tail lights, as opposed to the square ones. These buses are starting to show their age. Below is a pic with the new destination signs. Enjoy :D

971_lfs_7__1_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the Win-Mar (Nova LFS 804) ad mentioned above, Toppers Pizza (Nova LFS 770) and My!Sudbury.ca (Nova LFS 773), there's another bus with one now. Nova LFS 808 is wearing an ad for College Boreal. Below are photo's of it. It shows a heavy box being dropped on the bus, very creative. Enjoy!

808_1.jpg

808_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another College Boreal ad-wrap bus has hit the streets. Wednesday, 2010 Nova LFS 801 was released with the same ad-wrap that Nova 808 is wearing shown in the above post. Below are some pics I took yesterday (March 17th).

801_2.jpg

801_1.jpg

Also yesterday, all 4 Orion V's (941-944) were out on the road. 944 was being used on the 301 Lasalle/Madison for a few runs, then worked the 182 Ramsey View/Algonquin route. 942 was used as a Charter for the Little Native Hockey League tourny being held at the Sudbury Arena, then as bus 801 took over, worked the 014 Kathleen route for a few runs. Not sure what the other two V's were working but they were parked in the lay-over area at the downtown terminal. It was nice to see the V's out as they of course are our last H/F buses and to see them on regular routes which have been taken over by the Nova's. Even the D40LF's and Orion VI's are mainly being used as spare buses now. Anyway, just thought I'd share this little tidbit of information.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday around 5pm, 2010 NovaBus 807 was rear ended in Lively by a school bus. The force of the crash sent the transit bus up the road a bit, and totaled the school bus. The school bus driver had to be extricated from his seat using the jaws of life. Thankfully there were no kids on the bus, as for 807, it received extensive rear end damage. 2 people on 807 had to be sent to hospital due to head injuries and other bumps, along with the school bus driver. Below is the news article from the Sudbury Star.

http://www.sudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay....0SUDBURY%20STAR

180411_HU_Accident_4.JPG

1179064.dat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found out this morning that 2010 Nova LFS 807 that was involved in the above accident will not be fixed. Not sure on what will happen to the bus from here as to where it might go, but as soon as details emerge I will post the info. Below is a closer look at the damage the next day when the bus was being assessed by the insurance company.

807.jpg

Found out this morning that 2010 Nova LFS 807 that was involved in the above accident will not be fixed. Not sure on what will happen to the bus from here as to where it might go, but as soon as details emerge I will post the info. Below is a closer look at the damage the next day when the bus was being assessed by the insurance company.

The rear frames have twisted quite hard, safe to say that it may not be return on the road! It would be hard for anyone re-weld the stainless steel frame back!

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while since I've posted, anyway a little bit of news to share. 2010 Nova Bus LFS 807 shown above will now be fixed, but is being sent away to get the frame checked and fixed. In early to mid June sometime, there will be 7 new buses added to the fleet from NovaBus. They will replace the 4 1994 Orion V's and the remaining 1998 Orion VI's. Orion VI 984 has already been retired and scrapped due to the engine problems as shown below. One more thing, Greater Sudbury Transit has finally launched the real time GPS tracking to the public. They have started running ads both on the radio and TV. Here is the link to the TV ad.

The MyBus feature will allow users to enter a number located on our bus stop signs into the following link.

CGS MyBus If you want to see departures from the Transit Terminal Downtown, enter 1000 into the stop field.

It will then show you the route, destination and time that the bus will be arriving using the GPS location of the next bus. All buses are equipped with the GPS units except the 1994 Orion V's. For more information, just ask or if you are interested in using the service and will be in Sudbury, send me a PM. That's all for now, I leave you with photos of Orion VI 984.

984_1.jpg Hauled out of the garage.

984_2.jpg Sitting on blocks missing many parts along side the garage.

Just letting everybody out there know that this Saturday (June 11, 2011) from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m, the City of Greater Sudbury will have a "doors open" event where the public can tour city buildings. The transit garage will be open this day for tours. If anybody out there is interested in coming, let me know via PM and arrangements can also be made for perhaps some photo shoots of buses outside of the building. Attached is the link.

Doors Open Sudbury

• 2 months later...
According to the Northern Life, Sudbury Transit just received 6 new Low Floor buses (Nova's) making them 100% low floor with the removal of the remaining Orion V's.

Finally, some free time to post. We actually received 7 new LFS's on August 16/11, numbered 811-817. As for the Orion V's, they're still hanging around for a bit until all of the "bugs" are worked out of the new LFS's. They have only been in service for about 2 weeks now and already there are problems popping up with them. Below are some photos of the new buses, on delivery day and in service.

813_1.jpg The buses lined up after delivery.

815_1.jpg 815 about to go into the body shop.

817_2.jpg 817 and 813 .

816int_1.jpg The new interior for 2011 with different seats and lighting.

817_1_1.jpg 817 in service on the 147 Kathleen/North End/Donovan.

Enjoy :P

• SMS changed the title to GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)