GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)

Sudbury_Transit

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Thanks for the update. It's interesting that Sudbury went back to Allison, shortly after they became a 100% Voith fleet.

Have there been any retirements from the new Novas, or are these planned to increase the spare ratio/service improvements?

At the time it is cleary unknown if any retirements were made but I'm definetely sure that these were for service improvement/spare ratio as you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Figure I'd list what buses have full body wrap advertisments 

• 862 is now sporting an Advertisement for Delta Gaming in Sudbury & Val Caron
  • 861 is wrapped for HSA.ca (Work Safe For Life)
  • 853 is wrapped for College Boreal 
  • 854 is wrapped for 2018 Municpal Election
  • 855 carries an advertisement for Sudbury Healthy Kids

Now I would like to point out another change with Greater Sudbury Transit buses is the new voice for the bus stop callout system. Now when it calls out the stop it will say  "Next Prochain Arret: New Sudbury Centre" However on the display it will just read out the name of the bus stop. Some of the buses don't have the stop requested sign anymore since the LED sign inside the bus will say "STOPPING" I have noticed on a few of them it will say "STOP" then it just reads out the name of the bus stop. 861-865 have green LED signs inside the bus while all the other buses in the Greater Sudbury Transit fleet have the orange LED display inside.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Apparently Greater Sudbury Transit is being renamed GOVA as of next month when the new routes come into effect. A brand new livery was unveiled on Tuesday. Check the link from Sudbury.com for all the details: https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/gova-thats-the-new-name-for-greater-sudburys-transit-system-1577548?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• SMS changed the title to GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, BlueBirdVision said:

Apparently Greater Sudbury Transit is being renamed GOVA as of next month when the new routes come into effect. A brand new livery was unveiled on Tuesday. Check the link from Sudbury.com for all the details: https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/gova-thats-the-new-name-for-greater-sudburys-transit-system-1577548?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

That logo is kinda ugly tbh

• 3 weeks later...

August 26 marks the day that Greater Sudbury Transit becomes GOVA Transit. Changes are beginning to happen at the transit terminal. All of the current route signs have been replaced with new route signs. Exterior signage has been replaced in the past couple of days. One of the NovaBus LFS’s was repainted into the new GOVA livery. 791 is the first bus to have the new scheme. No word on new buses yet but 751-753 are still active. 

Most of the bus stop signs are beginning to be replaced and a new fleet of Handi-Transit buses have hit the road. I will have a list of all the routes and the current fare structure coming soon. 

192397ED-7C9C-4B9A-A78B-E66A4489A185.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some recent photos of GOVA Transit as of late 2019. 

There has been lots of mixed reviews on the changes that happened on August 26, 2019. I have heard from several people that they have screwed up GOVA Transit for everyone. Few people said it was good but in my own perspective they need to fix the routes and have smoother times for people that want to transfer on a bus travelling from outside the city limits for example if you are travelling out to Capreol or Naughton plus Chelmsford including areas in between the those areas that the buses run far as transit goes. GOVA has been currently repainting some of the buses into the GOVA scheme. A scheme with bright colours and it stands out more than the previous dark green and gold scheme. 

Buses repainted into the GOVA Livery as the list follow: 

51FF9464-639C-488E-8E05-B7D7AB5A68D0.jpeg

73C6BD48-FE28-4283-96FF-EE691958E099.jpeg

F57E2AE7-A433-4E36-807E-1702089D1101.jpeg

A9A89EE0-D707-4B71-864C-9333E30F99B2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Spotted former Greater Sudbury Transit buses 761, 762, and 763 on flatbed trucks heading eastbound on Highway 17 at Deep River.  There's a few scrapyards closer to town so I'm thinking these are going to have a second life or be used for parts.

763.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Michel said:

Spotted former Greater Sudbury Transit buses 761, 762, and 763 on flatbed trucks heading eastbound on Highway 17 at Deep River.  There's a few scrapyards closer to town so I'm thinking these are going to have a second life or be used for parts.

763.JPG

Could be going to Eastway in Pembroke or the new flyer facility in Arnprior.   But that's just speculation.

• 6 months later...
17 hours ago, Shaun said:

Does Sudbury transit connect with any other municipalities?

Two points:

1. Greater Sudbury is an amalgamated single-tier municipality, so every town, village, or settlement that is conceivably "near" it was amalgamated into it back in 2001. It is also the largest municipality by land area at over 3,000 square kilometres, so it takes a really long time to drive from the centre out to another municipality outside of its boundaries.
  2. The next closest municipality with transit service is North Bay, approximately 2 hours of highway driving to the east. Timmins is a little over 3 hours to the north, and Sault Ste Marie about 3.5 hours to the west. So no, it's not realistically possible for GOVA to connect to any of these neighbouring systems.