GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)

Sudbury_Transit

Just got back from a week in Sudbury. Spotted at least 5 more brand new NovaLFS buses numbered 770 to 774. All with the same specs as the 75x and 76x series but no Suburban seating. A few more classics are retired at the back of the garage. Also The Orion V (925) at the back of the garage is now litteraly a frame....

It's on Notre Dame, I remember seeing it, but had no interest of visiting a few years ago. ;)

The garage is on Frobisher Street. Not Notre Dame. The Transit terminal downtown is on the corner of Paris and Elm streets behind the LCBO.

To get to the garage from HWY 17 going into Sudbury, turn right onto Falconbridge road and then a right onto Frobisher street. Keep driving past the Greyhound / Ontario Northland Garage.

Coming from the Airport, it's basically the same thing. Stay on Falconbridge road but turn left onto Frobisher. Just do a google map for Frobisher street. It's such a small street that you can't miss the garage.

Also The Orion V (925) at the back of the garage is now litteraly a frame....

At least they are getting good use out of it ;). I hate when transit companys scrap buses that still have parts that they will need down the road.

The garage is on Frobisher Street. Not Notre Dame. The Transit terminal downtown is on the corner of Paris and Elm streets behind the LCBO.

To get to the garage from HWY 17 going into Sudbury, turn right onto Falconbridge road and then a right onto Frobisher street. Keep driving past the Greyhound / Ontario Northland Garage.

Coming from the Airport, it's basically the same thing. Stay on Falconbridge road but turn left onto Frobisher. Just do a google map for Frobisher street. It's such a small street that you can't miss the garage.

thanks!

• 4 months later...

The Greater Sudbury Transit has a new route!

New Route 705 Intra-Commuter route to service Valley East

Limited service offered for first few weeks of operation

As was recently advertised in the Valley Vision and Le Voyageur, new Transit service within Valley East will begin on Monday, December 17. Due to project delays, however, this route will offer limited service for the first few weeks of operation.

Along major roads, buses travelling Route 705 will stop at any existing bus stops, as well as the locations listed below. Within the subdivisions on this route, residents may wait along the side of the road for the bus to arrive. Drivers have been notified to watch for riders who are waiting for the bus in the subdivisions that do not yet have stops. Riders are asked to visit www.greatersudbury.ca/transit to view the route map, as not all subdivisions receive service.

When returning home, a rider may either get off the bus at an existing stop or ask the driver to stop at a certain location within a subdivision.

Greater Sudbury Transit apologizes for this inconvenience. When all bus stop signs are in place, riders will be notified, and the route will begin operating in its regular fashion.

For more information, please call 675-3333 or visit http://www.greatersudbury.ca/transit.

The Greater Sudbury Transit has a new route!

Hey the first route that doesn't go to Downtown Sudbury! Very interesting. This was something that was in extremely high demand for Valley East. I can see this happening down the road with a Route that serves Rayside Balfour and Dowling / Onaping only. Anybody who's ever been to Sudbury (or even through it) will know that it's a modest size city but it's vast and covers a land area of cities that are 3 or 4 times its size. It just didn't make sense to continue having all routes meet downtown. A hub and spoke system in this case might work a lot better.

• 6 months later...

Just returned from a few days in Sudbury. Took a walk through the transit terminal at noon on my way to get lunch. 5 more new NovaLFS buses in service # 781 to 785. Soon this is the only type of bus this city will have. Same specs as the 75x and 77x series but they were delivered with bike racks.

3 classics and 1 Orion V sitting retired behind the garage. ex-Detroit # 894, # 907, and two I can't confirm (one of the ex-Northway buses # 871 and for sure one of the ex-CT Transit buses)

Just returned from a few days in Sudbury. Took a walk through the transit terminal at noon on my way to get lunch. 5 more new NovaLFS buses in service # 781 to 785. Soon this is the only type of bus this city will have. Same specs as the 75x and 77x series but they were delivered with bike racks.

3 classics and 1 Orion V sitting retired behind the garage. ex-Detroit # 894, # 907, and two I can't confirm (one of the ex-Northway buses # 871 and for sure one of the ex-CT Transit buses)

Does the buses have new headlights? The fact that it has bike racks means that they're going to be used primarily on route 703 before the pilot project is over.

Still waiting for our bike racks... <_<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
An Orion V bus was badly damaged yesterday in a collision with a train. Looks like it can be salvaged but will probably be retired since it's an early 90's model.

Here is the story:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1389279

Here is the video:

http://www.sudbury24.ca/media/2370/2_Injur...rain_Collision/

Unfortunately, black ice can't do much!

• 2 months later...

Here's the news about getting automated announcer installed from Nova, which it was posted a months ago.

http://www.novabus.com/pages/public/presse...aspx?lang=EN-CA

Here's the product what is like, although it's with another company that builds it:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2006519316.html

http://www.consat.se/en/electronics-system...cs/its4mobility

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
More new Nova LFS buses for Sudbury. They appear to have at least 4. These are 3rd Gen with the new style rear and have the automated stop announcement system similar to the TTC installed.

I saw 791, 792 and 794 yesterday. I did not see 793 but I would also assume there is 4. The shots I got were not great, but will post when I get home from my northern trip.

By the way, bus # 903 (Orion V, ex-Ames, IA) is still in service. I got a shot of it yesterday as well.

Kevin

By the way, bus # 903 (Orion V, ex-Ames, IA) is still in service. I got a shot of it yesterday as well.

Kevin

I stand corrected. Glad to see it's still around. It's got that distinct black paint around the windows so I'm not sure what I saw when I reported this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thread bump...

60' articulating buses will soon arrive in the Greater Sudbury Transit fleet soon after the new larger bus garage is constructed.

This came from Wikipedia, the above text was updated last month. I could not find any additional information other than THIS, so I have no idea how reliable this source is, but I guess it's a heads up.

There is no way Sudbury will ever get 60 foot buses. I don't know where that post came from but anyone who's familiar with the routes would most certainly agree. Standing room only on the current system does happen, especially from Valley East during peak periods. But they could easily increase the route frequency with more 40 foot buses first. Also keep in mind that the downtown terminal would not support 60 foot buses without some major modifications. This latest cash would probably go towards replacing the remaining Orion V's.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's paper:

The Sudbury Star

Thu Jul 8 2010

Page: A2

Section: News

Byline: MIKE WHITEHOUSE, THE SUDBURY STAR;

Downtown Sudbury's transit terminal will get a much-needed facelift this summer.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, work will begin on interior renovations designed to modernize the building and make it easier for customers to navigate, says Roger Sauve, director of Greater Sudbury Transit.

The main purpose of the work will be to open up the facility so people can flow through it better and improve access to the transit kiosk.

The kiosk will be moved to the opposite end of the building and the space around the main doors, where it is located now, will be opened up as a waiting area.

"We want to clean it up a bit, make it a bit more user-friendly," he said. "We'll probably have a couple of work stations in there for people who are waiting for the bus a little bit longer."

Sauve said he also hopes to move ahead with the next phase of the stop-announcement system, which will provide real-time information about bus arrival and departures.

The system will tell riders where all buses are at any given time and whether they're early, late or on time.

"We'll have display boards, kind of like what you'd see in an airport," he said. "But they'll be real time, it wouldn't be the scheduled time."

Sauve didn't want to comment on the expected costs of the project until the tender process is completed. Work will begin as soon as a contractor is chosen -- by the end of July, he hopes --and wrap up in September, in time for the school rush.

The terminal will continue to function normally while the work is going on, Sauve said.