Blue Bus Fan

Expo line Upgrade.

This thread is to discuss upgrades to the Expo line. What will this do to help over crowding on the line? It would get four car options, which it is already happening, or five car operation on the line; the cars are the Mark II.

Link: http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Projects/Rapid-Transit-Projects/Expo-Line-Upgrade-Strategy.aspx, http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/plans_and_projects/rapid_transit_projects/expo%20line%20upgrade%20strategy/expo%20line%20upgrade%20strategy%20%20project%20summary.ashx.

What would be the best use of money five car operation, four car train operation or both?

I think a mixture of five and four cars trains would be good for the expo line.

Has it been figured out in the internet transit community whether the middle car would need a propulsion system?

As far as I know, the center car would be un powered. But awesome cheese, why do you think 4 or 5 cars would be best for the system? What reasons do you have to say that, other then solving the crowding issue.

- Bryan "Goggles"

As far as I know, the center car would be un powered. But awesome cheese, why do you think 4 or 5 cars would be best for the system? What reasons do you have to say that, other then solving the crowding issue.

- Bryan "Goggles"

Four car trains for less crowded periods such as late evening and five car trains for peak period because of the size and capacity. All other times a mixture of both four and five car trains to meet the demand of the system.

Four car trains for less crowded periods such as late evening and five car trains for peak period because of the size and capacity. All other times a mixture of both four and five car trains to meet the demand of the system.

But don't forget. We still have MKI trains running around as well. As well the summary clearly states that TransLink has recommended the 5 car option for the upgrade. But will hold off on the decision till 2015. Personally, I'd like to see 6 car MKI trains running Monday through to Saturday as well as on event days. Instead of just 4 car trains. Which don't get me wrong, do happen. I would just like to see them more frequently. Frequently being instead of only two or three trains in a 6 car formation, how about every second Expo Line train.

- Bryan "Goggles"

But don't forget. We still have MKI trains running around as well. As well the summary clearly states that TransLink has recommended the 5 car option for the upgrade. But will hold off on the decision till 2015. Personally, I'd like to see 6 car MKI trains running Monday through to Saturday as well as on event days. Instead of just 4 car trains. Which don't get me wrong, do happen. I would just like to see them more frequently. Frequently being instead of only two or three trains in a 6 car formation, how about every second Expo Line train.

- Bryan "Goggles"

TransLink cannot improve frequently because they are at the max. That is why TransLink is doing the upgrade. I did realize the Mark I would still be in service and I assumed the trains would be six or seven car trains.

TransLink cannot improve frequently because they are at the max. That why is TransLink is doing the upgrade. I did realize the Mark I would still be in service and I assumed the trains would be six or seven car trains.

From reading the document, it seems that TransLink has not decided on the upgrade. But in reality is starting to reconstruct the busiest stations, in preparation for said upgrade. As well as the passenger increase with the opening of the Evergreen Line in 2016. Furthermore it would surprise me, if TransLink were to have 7 Car MKI as that is impossible to do with the current set up due to the fact that each pair of trains. Are set up as a pair, in which case one cannot "couple" a third car. Unless it were unpowered and TransLink were to spend an exorbitant amount of money for it to work.

- Bryan "Goggles"

From reading the document, it seems that TransLink has not decided on the upgrade. But in reality is starting to reconstruct the busiest stations, in preparation for said upgrade. As well as the passenger increase with the opening of the Evergreen Line in 2016. Furthermore it would surprise me, if TransLink were to have 7 Car MKI as that is impossible to do with the current set up due to the fact that each pair of trains. Are set up as a pair, in which case one cannot "couple" a third car. Unless it were unpowered and TransLink were to spend an exorbitant amount of money for it to work.

- Bryan "Goggles"

I guess seven car Mark I will not happen; how about eight car mark I trains.

If TransLink chooses to do the upgrade, hopefully they do, would they length the platforms at all stations on the Expo line or would they just length platforms at busy stations on the line?

I guess seven car Mark I will not happen; how about eight car mark I trains.

If TransLink chooses to do the upgrade, hopefully they do, would they length the platforms at all stations on the Expo line or would they just length platforms at busy stations on the line?

... If a seven car train doesn't work, what makes you think an eight car will? As well, it was stated that they would need an exorbitant amount of money for six car MKII. So that option was shut down. For a five car MKII, they do not need to make an upgrades to the platforms in terms of length.

- Bryan "Goggles"

It appears Metrotown Station won't be closed during its upgrades.

The other six stations slated for major upgrades are Commercial-Broadway, Joyce-Collingwood, Metrotown, New Westminster, Scott Road and Surrey Central.

Jeff Busby, senior manager of infrastructure at TransLink, said those six stations are to remain open during construction, but passengers may be redirected through different entrances.

http://www.surreyleader.com/news/234811681.html

That doesn't rule out a temporary station though.

If they expanding six stations to run longer trains. Will they not need to extend all platforms at each Expo line station to meet the train lengths?

This isn't about longer trains its about more room for customers. If you have ever been to Commercial-Broadway at AM Peak, or Metrotown in the afternoon. You would understand. There's literally no room for anyone else. People are being left behind. You don't even have room to tie your shoes. If you sneeze at the wrong time, you could end up under a train. Please for the love of god. Google your god damn questions before you post it. Think before you post.

This isn't about longer trains its about more room for customers. If you have ever been to Commercial-Broadway at AM Peak, or Metrotown in the afternoon. You would understand. There's literally no room for anyone else. People are being left behind. You don't even have room to tie your shoes. If you sneeze at the wrong time, you could end up under a train. Please for the love of god. Google your god damn questions before you post it. Think before you post.

But when TransLink needs to use long trains and I did metion in the first post of this thread five car Mark II trains which will need extend platforms.

I've been to Metrotown Stn during rush hour many times but I've noticed that not that many people actually go to the far end of the platform but all huddle around the main entrance.

I've been to Metrotown Stn during rush hour many times but I've noticed that not that many people actually go to the far end of the platform but all huddle around the main entrance.

Part of the reason for the upgrade--to improve the movement and circulation of people at the station. It's what happens when there's one entrance and everybody comes in via the overpass.

Bump: My reason:

I'm finding it difficult to find a topic to talk about the current Expo Line station upgrade projects. We have metrotown, Broadway, and Surrey Central currently undergoing extensive upgrade projects.

That being said, to re-purpose this thread:

On arrival to Broadway Station inbound at Platform 3, the train enters the platform at walking speed. Hint: You can see parts of the yellow strip on the upgrade platform.

Just to revive this thread a bit: The new Expo line platform at Commercial Broadway, with glass on the outside wall and with the platform surface looking close to finished, is nicely visible from northbound Expo line trains. 

2 minutes ago, DarkKeyo said:

Just to revive this thread a bit: The new Expo line platform at Commercial Broadway, with glass on the outside wall and with the platform surface looking close to finished, is nicely visible from northbound Expo line trains. 

Are the wooden boards blocking view of the new platform removed yet? I haven't taken the Expo Line for awhile.

no

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Are the wooden boards blocking view of the new platform removed yet? I haven't taken the Expo Line for awhile.

6 hours ago, 8010 said:

Not on the platform side

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

no

4 minutes ago, DarkKeyo said:

Not on the platform side

Damn, it would be nice to get a better view of it, but I guess they wouldn't want the odd idiot risking their lives and jumping to the other side.

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

Damn, it would be nice to get a better view of it, but I guess they wouldn't want the odd idiot risking their lives and jumping to the other side.

Idiots are probably going to try that anyway, unfortunately.  I heard of it happening at Kennedy Station in Toronto where the setup is like that...

8 hours ago, Opal said:

Idiots are probably going to try that anyway, unfortunately.  I heard of it happening at Kennedy Station in Toronto where the setup is like that...

It's unfortunate because that platform will really help with passenger flow, if/when TransLink decides to upgrade the track intrusion system from it's current pressure plates to similar laser technology that the Canada and Millennium Lines use we can expect a few delays through the years because of those idiots.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:21 AM, 8010 said:

It's unfortunate because that platform will really help with passenger flow, if/when TransLink decides to upgrade the track intrusion system from it's current pressure plates to similar laser technology that the Canada and Millennium Lines use we can expect a few delays through the years because of those idiots.

Not if they just jump across.  Wouldn't set off any guideway alarms unless they put side along the edge, high up.  I don't think they have that anywhere else, correct me if I'm wrong.

35 minutes ago, Opal said:

Not if they just jump across.  Wouldn't set off any guideway alarms unless they put side along the edge, high up.  I don't think they have that anywhere else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Once on the Canada Line (which uses similar Guideway intrusion as the Millennium Line if I'm not wrong) there was a guy standing on the yellow lime and there was an announcement saying to stand back from the platform edge as it prevents trains from entering the station. Don't know if what the control guy said is true or not.