Langley to Chilliwack by bus

Canadian Lover

18 hours ago, Express691 said:

An extension of the Fraser Valley Express to Lougheed Station is currently undergoing consultation.

https://engage.bctransit.com/fvx2021

I’d rather see a 555 extension out to Fraser Valley because of the cheaper fare and it runs much better than the 66, but something tells me that the Fraser Valley residents might be a bunch of NIMBYs when it comes to TransLink’s bus services considering the one and only bus stop in the Fraser Valley that is serviced by a TransLink route is Mission City Station, and that’s only being served by four round-trips per weekday.

3 hours ago, anyfong said:

NIMBY's?

I'd rather see TransLink learn to completely ignore and disregard NIMBY's before moving on with any expansion/improvement.

That won’t happen when there’s a Mayor’s Council holding the leash.

18 hours ago, 8010 said:

That won’t happen when there’s a Mayor’s Council holding the leash.

Then we need a true two-tier regional government with the region having authority to override local NIMBYs. But at that point, the discussion turns political.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Then we need a true two-tier regional government with the region having authority to override local NIMBYs. But at that point, the discussion turns political.

Yup, this is what happens when we let politics dictate where transit expansion goes instead of the actual, well I hesitate to say “experts,” but I’ll call them the transit planners that are supposed to be monitoring current ridership as well as projected long-term ridership. This is why the SNG LRT almost went through before Surrey’s current mayor got voted in and switched it to the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:03 PM, 8010 said:

I’d rather see a 555 extension out to Fraser Valley because of the cheaper fare and it runs much better than the 66, but something tells me that the Fraser Valley residents might be a bunch of NIMBYs when it comes to TransLink’s bus services considering the one and only bus stop in the Fraser Valley that is serviced by a TransLink route is Mission City Station, and that’s only being served by four round-trips per weekday.

It's not about Nimbys, It's about what the city is willing to pay for. From the City side, Translink is far more expensive.

5 hours ago, RZ350 said:

It's not about Nimbys, It's about what the city is willing to pay for. From the City side, Translink is far more expensive.

Yes, if it's operated by BC Transit, then BC Transit (province) will covers about half of the operating cost, while the city covers the other half.  If TransLink is to operate it, then the city pays 100%.  That's a difference of about 1.2 millions/year.

This is why Mission discussed about moving the four 701 trips to Mission to BC Transit so it will cost them less, but BC Transit wasn't interested in running the service.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 8:38 PM, nname said:

Yes, if it's operated by BC Transit, then BC Transit (province) will covers about half of the operating cost, while the city covers the other half.  If TransLink is to operate it, then the city pays 100%.  That's a difference of about 1.2 millions/year.

This is why Mission discussed about moving the four 701 trips to Mission to BC Transit so it will cost them less, but BC Transit wasn't interested in running the service.

This sounds absurd to me...

Now that Abbotsford has their new garage and the R3 is in place, I wonder...

Does BC Transit have the resources to take over the portion between Maple Ridge and Mission?

Or, will Mission ask for the trips to be moved from the 701 to the R3?

I also feel like... the Albion area is missing direct service to Maple Ridge town centre... and it's weird that TransLink doesn't use the service to Mission to either party's advantage...

25 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

This sounds absurd to me...

Now that Abbotsford has their new garage and the R3 is in place, I wonder...

Does BC Transit have the resources to take over the portion between Maple Ridge and Mission?

Or, will Mission ask for the trips to be moved from the 701 to the R3?

I also feel like... the Albion area is missing direct service to Maple Ridge town centre... and it's weird that TransLink doesn't use the service to Mission to either party's advantage...

The simple questions the planners never ask nor look into. I still find it funny that they suggested extending the 749 to Mission via Ruskin, the idea got rejected, then they basically said “screw it, we’ll deal with it later.” Really addressing the needs of the region. Yes, I think all-day service between Mission and Metro Vancouver is more of a “need” than a “want,” but seriously, a shuttle service to Mission detouring through Ruskin and running every 2 hours? I took one of four round trips on the 701 prior to COVID and almost every seat was occupied and there was like five standees. Obviously the demand would probably be a bit spread out with all-day service, but I could also see a drastic increase in ridership flow through Maple Ridge, so the shuttle idea was just unrealistic.

• 3 months later...