IndyGo (Indianapolis)

MAX BRT

Speaking of revamping, I noticed that theres a possibility of having 1-2 feeder routes, close to Route 31 in the South of Indianapolis. Maybe IndyGO would consider suburban expansion, even if it's an hourly route for weekdays only, just to connect between the Wal-Mart (or the medical centre) and the Target. Just an idea, what do you guys think?

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zuCr43lYQ794.k2WorTKu-gXY

PLEASE note that I also took into consideration, the suburban America loathing of transit, the smaller streets, and the low ridership in this city. I layed this route out along nothing but retail, apartments and high schools with massive parking lots, and according to the single-digit ridership percentage of IndyGo, this route is appropriate.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1982&dat=19851201&id=h8FGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fTMNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4980,124214&hl=en

According to the story about Orion (see the article titled "Bus Deal Completed"), Indy-Go was to be promised 120 buses, which included 80 to be delivered in 1986 and 40 more in 1987 to join the 50-strong fleet of buses already delivered by that company in 1983 (8301-8350). However, while the 1986 order of 80 buses was fully completed (8601-8680), only 15 of the 40 buses in the 1987 order (8701-8715) were actually delivered. I wonder what happened to those other 25 (8716-8740)?

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

• 1 year later...

"Previously reticent elected officials say they fully support an income tax hike for expanded public transit now that voters approved a measure on Tuesday’s ballot. . .

Buses would run more often, earlier and later.

The added revenue would also pay for operations of the bus rapid transit Red Line, from the north side to the south side, and two other rapid lines that would run around the clock. The Blue Line would stretch from the east city boundary to the west boundary along Washington Street. The Purple Line would go from Lawrence along 38th Street to Downtown.

All three lines could be running by 2021 but depend on federal funding. The Red Line would be the first and awaits a $75 million allocation from Congress for construction."

Source: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/11/13/whats-next-marion-county-transit-tax/93592724/

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone know what's up with the 1997 D40LF and the 1999 Novas? I can't seem to find a bus tracker that displays the bus numbers for Indygo....

Also, earlier this month, a photo with an Indygo Gillig BRT #1802 was posted on Facebook, en route to Indianapolis. Anyone know the scale of this order? (I can only assume this spells the end for the 1997 D40LF and 1999 Novas, if those even still exist)

9 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Does anyone know what's up with the 1997 D40LF and the 1999 Novas? I can't seem to find a bus tracker that displays the bus numbers for Indygo....

I saw IndyGo D40LF's (both 1997 and 2001 models) and LFS's operating during rush hour in Indianapolis last month.  They are increasing service this year so it's possible that the older buses might stick around a little longer even after the 2018 order comes in. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I saw IndyGo D40LF's (both 1997 and 2001 models) and LFS's operating during rush hour in Indianapolis last month.  They are increasing service this year so it's possible that the older buses might stick around a little longer even after the 2018 order comes in. 

Do you happen to know if those Novas are very late first gens or very early second gens?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but it's very unclear to me where exactly the cutoff between the two generations are.

3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Do you happen to know if those Novas are very late first gens or very early second gens?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but it's very unclear to me where exactly the cutoff between the two generations are.

Not a stupid question at all!  The Wiki page has a good explanation of the differences between the LFS generations: https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Nova_Bus_LFS

I'm pretty sure the IndyGo (ex-COTA) buses are first-generation LFS's, because they have the square windows (the rounded windows were not introduced until the second-generation).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welp I did some poking around and here are some updates and to back up what RailBus63 confirmed (And to maybe add on some):

The ex-Santa Monica 1997 New Flyer D40LFs are very much alive, I was down at the terminal for 1.25 hours and 2 came by. The ex-COTA 1999 Novas (I checked the VINs and they appear to be very late first gens. They have 2nd gen circular rear lights, but ofc, they have the aforementioned square windows*) are also alive, but man they look beat up... Not all are painted into Indygo's scheme too. The ex-COTA 2001 New Flyer D40LFs are also around but I only saw at least 1 go by. The ex-San Diego MTS 2001 New Flyer D40LF (I believe they run from 0101 up**) are surprisingly common; Indygo seems to release all the buses in their terminal all at roughly the same time, and there's usually at least 1 ex-MTS 2001 D40LF. That said, since they recently purchased them, I guess that makes sense... For what it's worth though, they didn't seem to code any of the routes into the signs. The signs still work though (One of which was displaying MTS on the rear sign...). The 2000 ZEPS Gilligs are obviously common in the rush since they're recently refurbished, but they seem to drop off really quick once the rush dies down, likely because of charge... And lastly the ex-OC Transpo 2001-2002 New Flyer D60LF were quite sparse. I didn't see any on the 39, and only one came on the 8 (It was a 2001), with low floor Gilligs (of the BRT and non-BRT variety) operating the bulk of the 8's services. I recall seeing a facebook post that they scrapped at least 2 back in February (Along with numerous LFS and 1997 D40LF), but I didn't think that the D60LF would drop off so quickly (I suppose they don't like to put them out, or perhaps multiple are out of service).

No sign of the 2018 Gilligs yet.

*https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Nova_Bus_LFS_'X_VINs' The youngest Indygo/ex-COTA unit would be 9927, or X3000152, whereas those first Gen 2 demos for CTA would be X3000190 and 191.

**I'm not sure if they run all the way up to the COTA D40LF number set (Which would mean 29 buses, 0101-0129); I'd have to check all my photos to see how high they go (from what I saw) and they report back here if I begin to suspect that maybe they don't run all the way up to 0129. Also, are all D40LF from lower than 0130 ex-San Diego MTS? I recall hearing about Indygo purchasing 2001 D40LF from yet another agency, but I may have remembered wrong, or I may have been misinformed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So a followup on Indygo: This past week I saw up to 1814 in service, meaning at least 14 2018 Gillig Low Floor BRT (diesel) buses. I don't know if they're replacing anything or if they're for the recent service expansion, because the 1997 New Flyer D40LF buses are still in service... (At least 9791 is, only 9791 and 9799 seem to run based on comments, posts, and photos on the Indygo FB page, as well as sightings from busfans). That said I didn't (care to) fan downtown to see if the 1999 Nova LFS are still around so IF the Gilligs replaced anything, it was likely those.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I feel it’s worth mentioning that BYD K11Ms #1989-1992 have entered service on the 8-Washington route in anticipation of the launch of the red line BRT (IIRC it’s around labor day?).

Also the 1997 d40lf are probably still around, i passed one in april. The 1999 LFS are probably around still too, I heard someone saw one in march. Not sure if the 2002 d60LFs are around though...

• 4 weeks later...

Updates:

• BYDs 1989-1992, 1995 are now regularly running in service on the 8-Washington to introduce passengers to the new buses. I imagine these have retired the remaining 4 2001-2002 New Flyer D60LF but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't know the full range of BYD buses. Strange how they took delivery of a bus #1899 but then numbered the rest into the 1900 series... Unless anyone has inside info I suppose we'll have to wait until the Red Line launches to track the rest of them
  • There's a mystery bus #1901 that entered service on Monday. I imagine it is a brand spanking new Gillig Low Floor BRT since it entered service on the 10-10th Street (It ran on the 8-Washington the next day). These probably will be the death of the remaining 1997 New Flyer D40LFs which are still around as of the morning of Tuesday the 23rd (Every single time I run into one, it's that damn 9791! It still looks awesome; no rust, dents, or scratched/faded paint)
  • I'm not sure what's up with the 1999 Nova LFS. I didn't fan Indygo in the rush hour so I of course didn't see any but I hear they may still around doing 1 or 2 trip runs in the rush hour. I hear their heating and air conditioning is particularly horrible/nonexistent so it's probably best they don't make it out much. That said, they're doing far worse than the 1997 New Flyers so these would probably go first if 1901 is a 2019 Gillig
  • Red Line launches on September 1st
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Red Line is now operating in Indy! Buses are free during the month of September.

On the ground video footage is here:

https://fox59.com/2019/09/03/red-line-celebration-marks-launch-week-of-electric-bus-line/

Standing-room-only on Red Line’s opening day

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/09/02/standing-room-only-on-red-lines-opening-day/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, MAX BRT said:

Red Line is now operating in Indy! Buses are free during the month of September.

On the ground video footage is here:

https://fox59.com/2019/09/03/red-line-celebration-marks-launch-week-of-electric-bus-line/

Standing-room-only on Red Line’s opening day

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/09/02/standing-room-only-on-red-lines-opening-day/

Definitely nice to see. Did research on IndyGO in University 5 years ago, and it looked bleak as hell... but with this addition? Massive improvements!

• Like 1