MAX BRT

IndyGo (Indianapolis)

INDIANAPOLIS – More than a dozen articulated buses will begin hitting Indianapolis streets on Monday.

The 60-foot-long IndyGo buses are 20 feet longer than the service’s traditional vehicles. The articulated buses hold more people and bend in the middle, making it easier to navigate city streets.

The 17 articulated buses are nothing new to Indianapolis—the city had such transports in the mid-80s, but they were retired in the 90s. The units are refurbished, and can accommodate 40 percent more passengers.

IndyGo will introduce the buses on Route 39 and Route 8—its busiest routes.

Read more: http://fox59.com/201.../#ixzz2kg8kJack

--

Anyone know where these refurbished artics came from?

INDIANAPOLIS – More than a dozen articulated buses will begin hitting Indianapolis streets on Monday.

The 60-foot-long IndyGo buses are 20 feet longer than the service’s traditional vehicles. The articulated buses hold more people and bend in the middle, making it easier to navigate city streets.

The 17 articulated buses are nothing new to Indianapolis—the city had such transports in the mid-80s, but they were retired in the 90s. The units are refurbished, and can accommodate 40 percent more passengers.

IndyGo will introduce the buses on Route 39 and Route 8—its busiest routes.

Read more: http://fox59.com/201.../#ixzz2kg8kJack

--

Anyone know where these refurbished artics came from?

No doubt if they're possibly OC Transpo since they retired the 2001-2004 D60LF back in 2010 after acquire new 2010 D60LFR in a special deal from New Flyer

Considering how IndyGo service barely extends out of the City Centre, I do find this a little odd, yet interesting. Shall I dare ask if there will be a service expansion?

I saw one of these in Riverside a few weeks ago. It had a 6 cyl engine, so my guess is that it's ex-Orange County, but they could have repowered the ex-OC Transpo buses.

These are ex-Ottawa buses and they are for service expansion.

It does appear that these are ex-Ottawa but the VINs would have to be checked to ensure that they are not ex-Orange County. CCW in Riverside does have both ex-OC and ex-OCTA artics so you never know, it might be a mixed batch. I have attached the IndyGo document that I have received (via a friend) regarding the used buses. In the grainy photo, the "easier access" sticker near the front doors is a dead giveaway as to it's ex-OC Transpo heritage. Also by the way, in addition to the used D60LF buses, IndyGO also acquired 10 1999 Nova LFS (ex-COTA, Columbus, OH) and 11 2001 D40LF (ex-COTA, Columbus, OH) buses.

Indy Used Artics.pdf

Indy Used Artics.pdf

Indy Used Artics.pdf

Indy Used Artics.pdf

Indy Used Artics.pdf

Holy crap, the knowledge here blows me away. :o

Thanks to everyone, and especially Seashore--what a cool document.

I knew that some ex-OC Transpo D60s had been in possession of New Flyer a year or two ago and NFI eventually sold them for a pittance. I might have assumed the refurbishment was done by NFI, however are you all in the know that these were sent to CCW for refurbishment?

Also, what is the story with Orange County artics getting refurbished? (yeah, I know thats off-topic but I'm curious B) )

For service expansion, does this mean route expansion as well? I've been to the Wikipedia site and the agencys own site, and got kind of disappointed looking at the system map.

The article does not refer to any route expansion, for what thats worth. I know that there have been various news articles about proposed service expansion via BRT lines, but none of those have been approved so far.

For service expansion, does this mean route expansion as well? I've been to the Wikipedia site and the agencys own site, and got kind of disappointed looking at the system map.

It could be that they can use artics on some of the local routes, despite not having a crazy large service district. The system map somewhat reminds me of RGRTA-RTS' Rochester area route coverage. Some of the local routes there run artics despite a rather short route length.

Speaking of IndyGo, I noticed this on their site and can't recall seeing it listed anywhere else:

http://www.indygo.ne...-electric-buses

INDYGO RECEIVES $10M FEDERAL TIGER GRANT FOR ELECTRIC BUSES

INDIANAPOLIS (September 5, 2013) – This morning, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) announced the award of $10M in Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) funds to IndyGo, the public transit agency for Indianapolis, Indiana. The highly competitive grant program prioritizes transportation projects that have significant impact on outcomes relating to state of good repair, economic competitiveness, livability, environmental sustainability and safety of the nation’s transportation infrastructure. The award of these funds will allow IndyGo to recondition and repower upwards of 22 transit vehicles, employing a zero-emissions electric propulsion system. ... continue reading

This sounds like a CCW job, could these 20 buses possibly be those "10 1999 Nova LFS (ex-COTA, Columbus, OH) and 11 2001 D40LF (ex-COTA, Columbus, OH) buses." that Seashore mentioned? Or perhaps they just picked those up for cheap to substitute for 20 Gillig LF while they're being rebuilt.

Holy crap, the knowledge here blows me away. :o

Thanks to everyone, and especially Seashore--what a cool document.

I knew that some ex-OC Transpo D60s had been in possession of New Flyer a year or two ago and NFI eventually sold them for a pittance. I might have assumed the refurbishment was done by NFI, however are you all in the know that these were sent to CCW for refurbishment?

CCW has had ex-OC Transpo D60lf's for a while now.

I guess time will tell whether the IndyGo artics are all ex-OC Transpo or a mix. It is fairly expensive to repower a bus to a different kind of engine, but the price in the document from IndyGo would certainly cover that.

I can't find it now, but I thought I'd seen a document indicating that the buses are ex-Ottawa units. I agree that a check of VIN's will be necessary to confirm the heritage of these buses.

Thanks! Any chance you could attach pages 2-4 as well? Sounds like the fleet is way old at this point and they are scrambling and being very creative to keep things going. The 20 refurbished buses (to be electric) makes even more sense in that context.

Thanks! Any chance you could attach pages 2-4 as well? Sounds like the fleet is way old at this point and they are scrambling and being very creative to keep things going. The 20 electric refurbished buses to be all electric makes even more sense in that context.

Yes, I will post them tonight. The file size is large so I can only post one at a time and they are on my home computer.

Thanks! Any chance you could attach pages 2-4 as well? Sounds like the fleet is way old at this point and they are scrambling and being very creative to keep things going. The 20 refurbished buses (to be electric) makes even more sense in that context.

'Very creative' is one way to put it, I guess. 'Not investing' is another - I'm not sure how the area has been spending its Federal transportation funding, but many other American cities manage to come up with enough funds to replace most if not all of their buses on a normal 12 to 15-year cycle without having to resort to buying another agency's castoffs.

Here is the IndyGO fleet document (all 4 pages). It is very interesting in the direction they are going with used buses, but like Railbus63 said, the elected representatives should explain why IndyGo seems to be in such rough shape, fleet wise.

IndyGo Fleet Document.pdf

Here is the IndyGO fleet document (all 4 pages). It is very interesting in the direction they are going with used buses, but like Railbus63 said, the elected representatives should explain why IndyGo seems to be in such rough shape, fleet wise.

Its a very good point. No doubt it has to do with Republicans in the Indiana Legislature. The Republican ideology is opposed to the government subsidies that transit relies on almost everywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

"IndyGo improved the frequency of Routes 8 and 39 to every 15 minutes on weekdays and as a result, ridership has seen a double-digit percentage increases over 2012. To keep up with the increasing number of passengers, IndyGo decided to bring back articulated buses with the purchase of 17 newly refurbished ones."

That is awesome. If you build it they will come baby!

Submitted to me by member "MCI Classic" are photos of 5 different 0200 series D60LF's for IndyGo. All of them are the 3 door versions with the lower sliding sash style passenger windows which lead me to believe they are for sure former OC Transpo units for at least the 5 that I have seen. #'s 0204, 0206, 0211, 0212, 0214. Attached is a photo of 0214:

140314-0318indygo0214.jpg

Submitted to me by member "MCI Classic" are photos of 5 different 0200 series D60LF's for IndyGo. All of them are the 3 door versions with the lower sliding sash style passenger windows which lead me to believe they are for sure former OC Transpo units for at least the 5 that I have seen. #'s 0204, 0206, 0211, 0212, 0214. Attached is a photo of 0214:

Yes they are ex-OC.

Used or not, those IndyGO artics are pretty sharp looking. Good catch.

'Very creative' is one way to put it, I guess. 'Not investing' is another - I'm not sure how the area has been spending its Federal transportation funding, but many other American cities manage to come up with enough funds to replace most if not all of their buses on a normal 12 to 15-year cycle without having to resort to buying another agency's castoffs.

But, as noted in the fleet document, COTA's buses were recently refurbished, so it's not like they're getting un-rehabbed junk from somewhere else. Given the political state of affairs when it comes to transit in Indiana (at least from what I've read on these boards), this isn't the worst idea in the world.

Didn't IndyGo's 1983 Orion I's -- the 8300 series -- use Detroit Diesel 6V53T (code "4" as 7th digit in VIN) or 6V92TA (code "7" as 7th digit in VIN) engines?

If the IndyGo 8300s use 6V92TA engines, their VINs would begin with these eight digits: 2B112977.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin