Recently, a new VIA station has been built in Oakville, right adjacent to the GO station. Can anyone tell me why these stations have not been combined under the same roof for the convenience of the customers? I know that VIA and GO are two separate legal entities, but with some efforts it should have been possible to collaborate.

I would wonder how much of it has to do with avoiding a complicated agreement.

A shared building means you would need to make an agreement outlining who is responsible for:

• cleaning
  • maintenance
  • liability for damages/injuries
  • etc..

Sounds easy enough, but its amazing how difficult it can be when we're talking about a federal and provincial agency. Especially since it involves money. I know it's been done before (e.g. Aldershot) but something tells me that it was explored and one party or the other just threw up their hands and said "screw it, let's just build our own building".

I would wonder how much of it has to do with avoiding a complicated agreement.

A shared building means you would need to make an agreement outlining who is responsible for:

• cleaning

• maintenance

• liability for damages/injuries

• etc..

Sounds easy enough, but its amazing how difficult it can be when we're talking about a federal and provincial agency. Especially since it involves money. I know it's been done before (e.g. Aldershot) but something tells me that it was explored and one party or the other just threw up their hands and said "screw it, let's just build our own building".

I can't understand why it is so difficult. It is possible, as shown at the combined VIA/GO station in Guelph. It doesn't cost money. To the contrary combining the stations would be less expensive.

Welcome to the forum :)

Oakville GO is the second busiest station in the GO network next to Union. It would be interesting seeing people hauling luggage toward the tracks as go train full of impatient people who run to their cars and stop at nothing to be the first out the lot. I like that VIA has its own dedicated building away from the congestion that is created during rush hour.

Also, Away from the line ups at the ticket booths for when a special event is on like a hockey game or the Ex.

Regardless whether you use GO or VIA the ticket counters should be sufficiently staffed to avoid long lines. That is just good customer service.

People going by VIA - say from Oakville to Ottawa - would have to go most of the time by GO to Toronto, therefore being exposed to the same problems that you mentioned.

VIA trains in Oakville are using their dedicated platform, therefore not interfering with the GO-train crowds.

People not familiar with the Canadian transport system may be confused seeing two stations side by side. I saw people going to the VIA station asking for a ticket to Toronto, only to be sent to the other station.

Your comparing apples to oranges. Guelph will never ever come anywhere close in terms of ridership to the Oakville GO.

Oshawa Station has Via/GO in the same building.... try going there as that is a better comparison for the Oakville GO and how crazy it gets when a GO train offloads.

IF there was more room at the Oakville GO and they could build a huge building I would agree with you. However, Space is very limited after building that parking garage

I am a firm believer in a clean and logical layout, and two stations do not fit that objective. Why should one station building lead to more overcrowding? After all each train uses its own track (and possibly it's own platform) thereby keeping the crowds for the different trains apart. If there is overcrowding, it is not due to the station building but rather the layout and space of the tracks, platforms and tunnels. May be they are designed too small

Oakville GO is a poor layout but has improved with the construction of new tunnels. GO use to be in the VIA building before the construction of the new GO building. I recall it being a head ache.

If you want an official reason on what were discussing. May i suggest getting in contact with Metrolinx or VIA Rail Canada?

Good idea to get in touch with Metrolinx, however it is sometimes difficult to get through to them. Is anyone of Metolinx a member of cptdb?

• 1 month later...