Sign in to follow this  
M. Parsons

Remaining GM Classic's

Cornwall Transit still has 8558 in service, a 1985 TC40-102N that is ex-STCUQ. They've been retiring some of their 1991 MCIs but want to keep the GM around a while longer.

All 1991 Classic's have been pulled from Cornwall Transit.

Peterborough Transit has bus #14 in service.

Eastway has loaners; 401 & 402 (1984)

801 & 802 (1987)

Sorry for the bump. Just thought I would update this with the following:

Saskatoon 407 has been retired, and ex-Lethbridge 128 has presumably been scrapped

I guess we could also add that Strathcona 879 and 880 are unlikely to reenter service thanks to the recent delivery of Enviro 500s.

Louisbourg still has an ex-Utah 1983 GM Classic for the fortress shuttle service.

Sorry for the bump. Just thought I would update this with the following:

Saskatoon 407 has been retired, and ex-Lethbridge 128 has presumably been scrapped

Update. No more GM Classics are operating in Saskatoon, and in all of Saskatchewan. 405 (last remaining unit) was retired in September.

If you're talking about Detroit...we got rid of ours way back in 2003, though one (two maybe?) of our former GMDD Classics is still in active service right across the river with Transit Windsor.

How popular was it to have a 50 series in a classic?

Not a whole lot! When the Nova Classic went to t-drive series, they had nothing but problems with both electrical and cooling system!

Cornwall 8558 was retired a few months ago. IIRC it was the last GM Classic in revenue service. Though at least one GM Classic has made it into preservation.

On 2015-08-12 at 9:38 PM, Shaun said:

How popular was it to have a 50 series in a classic?

Not really popular, and for a good reason. The S50 ones seemed to have a lot more electrical problems than the 6V92TA ones, which were just fine by the way. Plus they seemed to corrode more, although that could have just been NovaBus cheaping out starting in 1995. They should have kept the 6V92TA/VR731 along with the S50 ones so transit agencies could still have a choice to pick a 6V92 to avoid problems. As far as I know, STO had 1996-1997 Classics, and they were retired in 2012-2014. A few others also had them. BTW, they should have kept the same quality of production as the GM/MCI and earlier NovaBuses. Sorry if I went off topic here.

58 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Not really popular, and for a good reason. The S50 ones seemed to have a lot more electrical problems than the 6V92TA ones, which were just fine by the way. Plus they seemed to corrode more, although that could have just been NovaBus cheaping out starting in 1995. They should have kept the 6V92TA/VR731 along with the S50 ones so transit agencies could still have a choice to pick a 6V92 to avoid problems. As far as I know, STO had 1996-1997 Classics, and they were retired in 2012-2014. A few others also had them. BTW, they should have kept the same quality of production as the GM/MCI and earlier NovaBuses. Sorry if I went off topic here.

I believe the 6V92TA engine was discontinued in 1995.

20 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Where the S50 classics Fast?  I'm sure the frame is lighter than an Orion V or VII.

Yes they were fast on the highway, matter of fact the STO 96 Classics were built for the highway.

3 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

Yes they were fast on the highway, matter of fact the STO 96 Classics were built for the highway.

Or the 97's, for that matter. Every other Classic could reach 90, if not maybe 100km/h, and that's maximum.