BC Transit Vicinity (Yaxing)

• 1 month later...

In a research article about Grande West that was posted this morning, there was a image of some BC Transit Vicinity buses about to be shipped from the Weichai factory in Xiamen, China. The article covered a factory visit from a week or two ago so they are likely on their way to Canada now. 

Looks like BC Transit has opted for the 2 piece front door rather than the 1 piece plug door on their current Vicinity.

BC Transit Vicinity.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

In a research article about Grande West that was posted this morning, there was a image of some BC Transit Vicinity buses about to be shipped from the Weichai factory in Xiamen, China. The article covered a factory visit from a week or two ago so they are likely on their way to Canada now. 

Looks like BC Transit has opted for the 2 piece front door rather than the 1 piece plug door on their current Vicinity.

The first Vicinity showed up in BC almost a month ago. It was evaluated and used for training in Victoria. At least 8 more showed up two weeks later. There could be more, I simply haven't heard about it. 

All 9 have been at Grande West HQ in Aldergrove receiving touch ups. I was informed that they were set to start showing in Victoria today. 

We (Vernon Transit) have been informed that we will have one in our yard and insured by June 1st for training purposes. 

The first two are being assigned to Victoria, with the next 10 being assigned to Vernon. I don't know where the other 31 are going. 

NOTE: These photo's are not mine. 

18118926_10154351669150966_4651204178473492333_n.jpg

18237873_1468836646514272_2218745138857083654_o.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron said:

The first two Vicinity's have been delivered to Victoria. 4060 & 4061, which were incorrectly numbered 4005 & 4006. 

BC Transit drives me nuts with their fleet numbering... why not start at 4000, or even at 3024, after the last Aero Elite (and in the same category as the first Vicinity order)... [/grumpyoldman]

In all seriousness, thanks for the update. It's good to know the numbers and where stuff will be heading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

BC Transit drives me nuts with their fleet numbering... why not start at 4000, or even at 3024, after the last Aero Elite (and in the same category as the first Vicinity order)... [/grumpyoldman]

Because they can, just kidding around with this comment. I don't understand why BC Transit doesn't go to year the bus is built for example 1701 or 17001. I cannot wait to see them in service and catch rode on the Vicinity.

• Like 1

Does BC Transit still use that old computer system for fleet management that presumably they kept when Translink was sliced out? It really limited bus numbering options. Number could only be used once, couldn't recognize ending in "00" amongst some other old school computer programming limitations. 

On 5/25/2017 at 5:36 PM, Dane said:

Does BC Transit still use that old computer system for fleet management that presumably they kept when Translink was sliced out? It really limited bus numbering options. Number could only be used once, couldn't recognize ending in "00" amongst some other old school computer programming limitations. 

If they still have that, I hope they are going to replace it at some point... otherwise they'll run out of numbers in general when the time comes...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a bit of research, I believe the Vicinity's will be numbered as follows. I have updated the BC Transit "On order" section to reflect this. 

Order #1: 41 30ft Vicinity's. 4007-4045 & 4060-4061**

Order #2: 14 30ft Vicinity's. 4046-4059

3 35ft Vicinity's. Numbers Unknown. 

Order #3: 39 30ft Vicinity's. 4062-4100

** 4060 & 4061 were incorrectly numbered 4005 & 4006. Only after the order for 14 buses was put into the system was the mistake realized. Which caused the jump in numbers. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victoria has taken delivery of 4060 & 4061. 

Vernon has taken delivery of 4007, 4008, 4009, 4010, 4011, 4012 & 4014. Buses 4013, 4015 & 4016 are still coming. Two additional buses will arrive in September for service expansion, for a total of Twelve Vicinity's. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2017 at 0:48 AM, Cathay 888 said:

Any update for those Vicinity already in service or not??

This is what I have heard; 

4005 was renumbered to 4060 recently. 4006 still hasn't been renumbered. 

Both units had their radios put in on Friday. 

Will be checking tomorrow to see if they're out. 

30 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Also forgot to mention, Vernon has their Vicinity buses already in service. 

As of yesterday, 5 of 10 Vicinity's were in service. The rest will be rolled out this week. 

In service: 4007, 4008, 4009, 4010 & 4014

Not in Service: 4011, 4012, 4013, 4015 & 4016

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, Matt Dunlop said:

No Vicinity's out today (in Victoria). Latest I've heard is they'll be out late this month. 

I hope they'll be in service while I will visiting Victoria at the end of this month~~

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I rode it. It's interesting that's for sure. Very jerky acceleration and braking. Operator said the seat was on an awful angle. Rear door and ramp looked very slow. 

- Jerky acceleration? That's unique to that unit then. 

- Jerky braking? Yes, that's on every Vicinity. However it gets much better with use. The problem arises from the engine brake activating whenever the brake is applied over 20 kph. It really should be optional. 

- I've actually found the seats to be pretty comfortable. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly? 

- The rear door could be faster, but it's fine as is. The ramp however is not. It's electric instead of hydraulic. Which causes it to operate a lot slower then a traditional hydraulic ramp.

11 hours ago, Iron said:

- Jerky acceleration? That's unique to that unit then. 

- Jerky braking? Yes, that's on every Vicinity. However it gets much better with use. The problem arises from the engine brake activating whenever the brake is applied over 20 kph. It really should be optional. 

- I've actually found the seats to be pretty comfortable. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly? 

- The rear door could be faster, but it's fine as is. The ramp however is not. It's electric instead of hydraulic. Which causes it to operate a lot slower then a traditional hydraulic ramp.

I'm sure everything will be working great once all the kinks are worked out. Maybe the brakes are just due to that retarder you were talking about at one time, where if you let off the accelerator it "jerks" forward? And that ramp is SOOO slow. I hope they just don't put the Vicinity out on routes that get alot of wheelchairs. The lower-ridership routes in Victoria don't really get many, if any, wheelchairs.