BC Transit Vicinity (Yaxing)

Hey all, just a quick question but its kind of urgent. Anyone know if the BC Transit Vicinity Bus has air brakes?

Thanks in advance :)

http://www.flickr.co...lop/8293574012/

Pretty sure it does. The air brake lever is similar to the ones on the Alexander Dennis buses.

You can also hear the air release when the brakes are fanned.

I think there was a discussion about this in another thread somewhere. I'll be darned if I could find it now though...

That being said, that parking brake handle is also very similar to the ones on buses here in Taipei. We don't have any Yaxings, and I can't speak with certainty about the Yutongs or the King Longs (the latter of which are all manual transmission) but the Daewoo BS120CNs and newer Hino LRK buses have the same kind of parking brake handle. All of these buses have air brakes.

Looks like only 4 BC cities are going to get the Vicinity bus. Quesnel is getting 2 to replace the Polars, I think Dawson Creek is replacing Darts and Nelson / Pentiction wants something smaller than a Nova.

Nelson Transit is the first community in BC to receive the Vicinity bus.

The remaining units are slated for Penticton, Quesnel and Dawson Creek.

http://thenelsondail...us-nelson-26373

I guess they're not coming to Kelowna after all?

From the articie, it would seem they are not.

The Vicinity has 23 seats, 1 seat less than the required 24 seats for drivers to be paid full conventional wage as per the new RFPs. Put the Vicinity in the fleet and BC Transit and the operating contractor will "save" $$$ by paying drivers less, you can bet your ass they're coming to Kelowna and many other cities in BC.

"Due to the demands for increased Community Transit Service, it is important that the Operating Company’s labour rules provide for the flexibility required to use Community Transit Buses operating at lower driver labour rates than Conventional Transit Buses wherever the service demands warrant using a smaller vehicle regardless of the size of the transit system. Additionally, it is important that the Proponent’s definition of a Community Transit Bus is aligned with BC Transit’s definition contained within this RFP that is based solely upon vehicle seating capacity."

"Currently, about 10% of the Conventional Service is operated as Community Transit Service utilizing Community Transit Buses for lower volume routes that do not support using larger Conventional Transit Buses. BC Transit and the Local Government Partners have identified a number of routes, or portions of routes (trips), that are well suited to Community Transit Service but are currently being delivered with heavy duty Conventional Transit Buses due to existing limitations. Regardless of any limitations an Operating Company may have, these routes and trips will likely be converted in the near future to Community Transit Service using Community Transit Buses with BC Transit paying the Operating Company lower rates for labour in addition to the reduced fuel costs. As new routes are introduced where the design of the route or the forecasted ridership warrants a lower seating vehicle these routes would also likely be introduced as Community Transit Service using Community Transit Buses."

Sad Province this is becoming.

Looks like only 4 BC cities are going to get the Vicinity bus. Quesnel is getting 2 to replace the Polars, I think Dawson Creek is replacing Darts and Nelson / Pentiction wants something smaller than a Nova.

Local newspapers are great at local news, but anything outside of their little area, it gets pretty spotty.

Government partnership improves Kelowna transit service

KELOWNA – Ron Cannan, Member of Parliament for Kelowna-Lake Country, joined Norm Letnick, MLA for Kelowna-Lake Country, Walter Gray, Mayor of Kelowna, and Mike Davis, chief operating officer and vice-president operations for BC Transit to celebrate the official opening of the new Rutland Transit Exchange and welcome three new Vicinity buses.

http://busonline.ca/...cfm?newsid=1862

Further down the news release it mentions that 6 BC communities are getting the Vicinity. After running through the news releases so far, and going over my notes I took as these buses were getting decalled, here's the 6.

1 - Kelowna (3 buses)

2 - Penticton (2 buses)

3 - Nelson

4 - Dawson Creek

5 - Chilliwack-Agassiz/Harrison (2 buses)

6 - Quesnel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On the latest BC Transit fleet list, it has the following allocations for the Yaxing buses:

• 3001, 02 - Penticton
  • 3003, 04 - Nelson
  • 3005, 06 - Agassiz-Harrison Paratransit
  • 3007, 11, 12 - Kelowna
  • 3008, 13, 14, 15 - Dawson Creek
  • 3009, 10 - Quesnel Paratransit

Thanks. This fills in the gaps from my October notes.

1 - Kelowna (3 buses)

2 - Penticton (2 buses)

3 - Nelson

4 - Dawson Creek

5 - Chilliwack-Agassiz/Harrison (2 buses)

6 - Quesnel