Jump to content
OC Transpo 8238

Peterborough Transit

Recommended Posts

Well I'd really love to know how they are going to fit a 40 foot nova through the tightspots when the 30 footer needs repairs or maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if they missed that detail completely and will end up getting stuck or needing to dump passengers on the side of the road There is no way they'd be able to get a 40 foot bus into Maple Ridge senior centres tiny parking lot. 

I can't see anyone from the apartments on Hedonics road using this service when the Jackson Park bus serves it every 40 minutes all day now apparently (they decided that back in October, although whether or not drivers are following the policy is a total crapshoot).

The space issue with the large wheelchairs isn't exclusive to the community bus/van though, the nova's and the handi-vans have the same problem, except the 2016 onward models removed a seat to accommodate an additional chair and to help alleviate the bottleneck problem. 

Allegedly the stop at Charlotte and Bethune was removed because drivers clipped the fire hydrant multiple times that is there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now apparently we're going to be buying an extra handi-van in addition to more routes being moved to 20 minute peak service.

more routes on 20 minute service will probably help make it more useful to people, instead of waiting 20 minutes for their transfer route to show up they can just get on right then and there and go.

Now that the fleet has been completely modernized they must've been looking for something to spend their gas tax money on, unless they plan on putting the funds they were using to buy buses into the reserve for future use

We will see how long that takes with old man Jones at the helm.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2018/01/25/gas-tax-revenue-to-fund-new-handi-van-for-peterborough-transit-and-more-20-minute-service-on-routes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

So now apparently we're going to be buying an extra handi-van in addition to more routes being moved to 20 minute peak service.

more routes on 20 minute service will probably help make it more useful to people, instead of waiting 20 minutes for their transfer route to show up they can just get on right then and there and go.

We will see how long that takes with old man Jones at the helm.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2018/01/25/gas-tax-revenue-to-fund-new-handi-van-for-peterborough-transit-and-more-20-minute-service-on-routes

beat me to the punch or should that be post? :)

Extra handivan will be good, fixing the inefficiencies and incompetence in the van office and management would improve things even more.

I like the 20min peak services (it's good when I go out for the shopping) but will be interesting to see which routes get them this time around.

Though jones would be in on the announcement today but seems to have been strangely absent (it was Vassiliadis who was interviewed by Chex).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Option 1 has taken the cake. Not too surprising considering how far option 2 stretched just to hit one location

Quote

Peterborough Transit conducted a public consultation on route options for the Community Bus in January 2018.  Option 1 was significantly more popular.  Now staff are working creating the map and schedule and putting the stops in place.  Once they are set, the map and schedule will be posted here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

And Option 1 has taken the cake. Not too surprising considering how far option 2 stretched just to hit one location

 

Whats the 30 foot bus they ordered for the route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Whats the 30 foot bus they ordered for the route?

I don't think it a 30 footer like we first believed, more like an elongated handi-van, sort of like some of the buses Lindsay Transit has with the flip out ramps. Still unsure of exact model, its not been outside the last couple times I went past the public works yard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, austin_medic said:

I don't think it a 30 footer like we first believed, more like an elongated handi-van, sort of like some of the buses Lindsay Transit has with the flip out ramps. Still unsure of exact model, its not been outside the last couple times I went past the public works yard

heard it was sitting outside last week and still hasn't had the Peterborough Transit decals etc added and yes was described as an overblown handivan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they've been running multiple overflow buses for the Fleming routes the past couple weeks, winter intake has over saturated it to the point where the 4 regular buses end up going over capacity almost every trip they make from downtown, and the ones to downtown are pretty full too.

It's kind of funny on the city's website it looks like someone dropped the ball, and instead of a link to the community bus route schedule there is a link to the paper version of the survey.

http://www.peterborough.ca/Assets/City+Assets/Transit/Documents/Community+Bus+Route+and+Schedule.pdf

 

The bus has also had the decals put on it, it was parked out by the handi-vans along the fence on Alymer Street on Wednesday. It's a short school bus (with a ramp/lift by the looks of it) for lack of a better term to describe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, austin_medic said:

It's a short school bus (with a ramp/lift by the looks of it) for lack of a better term to describe it.

well there other terms but I think they would violate forum rules :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, austin_medic said:

The bus has also had the decals put on it, it was parked out by the handi-vans along the fence on Alymer Street on Wednesday. It's a short school bus (with a ramp/lift by the looks of it) for lack of a better term to describe it.

The bus is an Arboc Spirit of Freedom by the looks of it. When bus 159 went for sale there is an image of it beside the Community Bus. It will be gas powered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

The bus is an Arboc Spirit of Freedom by the looks of it. When bus 159 went for sale there is an image of it beside the Community Bus. It will be gas powered.

Look at some pictures it pretty much confirms the rumours.   It will only take two wheelchairs and if you've got two (there were supposed to be four) onboard it will be hard to for people to get by.

Heads need to roll at transit for this stuff up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 7:43 PM, Marc said:

Look at some pictures it pretty much confirms the rumours.   It will only take two wheelchairs and if you've got two (there were supposed to be four) onboard it will be hard to for people to get by.

Heads need to roll at transit for this stuff up.

They probably were eyeballing the 30 footer and then saw the price tag and decided against that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, austin_medic said:

They probably were eyeballing the 30 footer and then saw the price tag and decided against that idea.

Then perhaps they should have scrapped the whole idea rather than spending the money on an unsuitable vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marc said:

Then perhaps they should have scrapped the whole idea rather than spending the money on an unsuitable vehicle.

From what it looks like they are doing like a community connector thats aimed at going through small neighborhoods. The Arboc is a very good choice as I have been on them in community service along with conventional service. It seats 2 wheelshairs thats good enough, it's right at AODA requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

As of March 4th Charlotte and Jackson park routes won't be going into the hospital anymore. Looks like community bus is being used as a way to straighten out the regular routes

 

And that's going to piss a lot of people off.

Same as the Jackson Creek won't be going to in Hedonics while the community bus.

I know of two person who are both visually impaired that will be directly impacted by this.  The community bus is useless for them because it doesn't go to the bus station and getting the jackson creek becomes harder.

Way to go Peterborough Transit.  You're supposed to move forward with accessibility not go backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's more of them following the operations review a bit too literally in regards to duplication of service in certain areas. Regardless I think the problem could be solved by a small route change to make community bus stop at the sidewalk at the bus terminal instead of travelling down George to king street 

I think straightening out regular routes benefits able bodied riders a lot more, which is transits primary demographic. 

I'm surprised the inside of the community bus is as spacious as it is. From the outside it looks like it'd be pretty crammed with 15 people on it.

They had public works going around today putting up the stops, and there is a stop at the corner of George and Simcoe, so transferring to the conventional system is still possible at the terminal, as well as anywhere else along the route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, austin_medic said:

I think straightening out regular routes benefits able bodied riders a lot more, which is transits primary demographic. 

But not when you're the cutting out the hospital.  Sure cutting one service would be reasonable but not both.

I'm not disabled but I have used transit to get the hospital main entrance on occasions but glad I'm within walking distance.

6 hours ago, austin_medic said:

They had public works going around today putting up the stops, and there is a stop at the corner of George and Simcoe, so transferring to the conventional system is still possible at the terminal, as well as anywhere else along the route.

yeah if the community bus is on time and you're there when the services leave at 20 past the hour.

6 hours ago, austin_medic said:

 

I've had a look at the transit website and if they mention the route changes it's buried pretty deep - not under transit news or the section about the community bus.

 

They should also remove to section about the federal tax credit since that ended last july (thanks justin & bill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Marc said:

But not when you're the cutting out the hospital.  Sure cutting one service would be reasonable but not both.

I'm not disabled but I have used transit to get the hospital main entrance on occasions but glad I'm within walking distance.

yeah if the community bus is on time and you're there when the services leave at 20 past the hour.

I've had a look at the transit website and if they mention the route changes it's buried pretty deep - not under transit news or the section about the community bus.

 

They should also remove to section about the federal tax credit since that ended last july (thanks justin & bill)

It's only been posted on their twitter inside a collection of 4 posts regarding it right now

Heres a nice little tidbit from the transportation sub-committee meeting:

Quote

The Committee expressed concern with the removal of Hedonics Drive from the regularly scheduled route. Staff suggested residents of Hedonics advocate for a walkway to Medical Drive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 10:20 AM, austin_medic said:

I'm surprised the inside of the community bus is as spacious as it is. From the outside it looks like it'd be pretty crammed with 15 people on it.

talking with one of the van drivers and while the vehicle might have two wheelchair spaces by design, in the use it be effectively one space otherwise nobody will be able to get through.

 

Oh and when they showed the bus on the news tonight - didn't appear to have any wheelchairs on board to show how they go,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to wheelchairs on the community bus, have heard that one person went to it but couldn't because his electric wheelchair wouldn't fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the handi-van booking system decided to quit today and it screwed everyone who had a ride booked. The community bus got extra riders, 106 rides in the first week. Also an RFP has been sent out to acquire a CAD/AVL system for Peterborough Transit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City must be tired of motorists taking off the driver side mirrors on the buses,  I've noticed more of them getting orange sticks mounted on the rear, supposedly to get drivers to move over or to use as proof the bus driver wasn't at fault 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was driving along Hwy 7 near Maberly yesterday afternoon and I noticed an ex-Peterborough Orion VI sitting at a residence. Appeared to be used for storage  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...