Jump to content
OC Transpo 8238

Peterborough Transit

Recommended Posts

Anyone know who's responsible for sending out mybeats on transit issues?

Waiting for the Chemong bus at Walmart this afternoon and 2 buses were a no-show.

A person who'd been waiting since 3:15 said the 3:20 bus didn't show up and neither did the 3:40 but what was believe to be a #2 went down Chemong Road at 3:52.

The driver who on the bus that stopped at 4:00 said the other bus had been involved in an accident but there was absolutely no mybeat message about the situation.

Given that weather/road works and mechanical issues are playing major havoc with the transit at the moment, maybe management should pull the finger out and keep the riders better informed.  The facility is there but they aren't using it fully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Marc said:

Anyone know who's responsible for sending out mybeats on transit issues?

Waiting for the Chemong bus at Walmart this afternoon and 2 buses were a no-show.

A person who'd been waiting since 3:15 said the 3:20 bus didn't show up and neither did the 3:40 but what was believe to be a #2 went down Chemong Road at 3:52.

The driver who on the bus that stopped at 4:00 said the other bus had been involved in an accident but there was absolutely no mybeat message about the situation.

Given that weather/road works and mechanical issues are playing major havoc with the transit at the moment, maybe management should pull the finger out and keep the riders better informed.  The facility is there but they aren't using it fully.

I am sure Peterborough Transit was dealing with the accident would be more important then letting you know the bus was late. Im sure they were dealing with EMS, Police and Fire. Hopefully no one was hurt. Less then 45 mins wait stop crying.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 3:21 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

I am sure Peterborough Transit was dealing with the accident would be more important they letting you know the bus was late. Im sure they were dealing with EMS, Police and Fire. Hopefully no one was hurt. Less then 45 mins wait stop crying.

Given there was no screaming sirens etc and the bus could be scene as we pulled out of walmart the bus could be seen sitting on chemong road without emergency services in attendance.

Given there was no screaming sirens etc and the bus could be scene as we pulled out of walmart the bus could be seen sitting on chemong road without emergency services in attendance.

Secondly notifications of delays due to MVC involving buses have been sent out in the past such as a couple of months back when the a bus hit a pedestrian.

No quite a MVC but notifications were sent out twice last week when there was medical emergency on two difference buses at two difference times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Marc said:

Anyone know who's responsible for sending out mybeats on transit issues?

Waiting for the Chemong bus at Walmart this afternoon and 2 buses were a no-show.

A person who'd been waiting since 3:15 said the 3:20 bus didn't show up and neither did the 3:40 but what was believe to be a #2 went down Chemong Road at 3:52.

The driver who on the bus that stopped at 4:00 said the other bus had been involved in an accident but there was absolutely no mybeat message about the situation.

Given that weather/road works and mechanical issues are playing major havoc with the transit at the moment, maybe management should pull the finger out and keep the riders better informed.  The facility is there but they aren't using it fully.

I assume most of the communications over mybeat rests solely on dispatch staff. many times messages don't even get sent out for stuff like this. They either forget to do it or don't think its significant  enough to warrant a message. 

 

it was said somewhere they are planning on getting a transit app up and running this spring, and money was allocated in the budget for it, although there's been no news on that for a long time now.

There also hasn't been any speak at all on the community bus route that's supposed to be starting in August, I wouldn't be surprised if riders get no input at all and staff will design the route entirely based on what they think works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

I assume most of the communications over mybeat rests solely on dispatch staff. many times messages don't even get sent out for stuff like this. They either forget to do it or don't think its significant  enough to warrant a message. 

 

it was said somewhere they are planning on getting a transit app up and running this spring, and money was allocated in the budget for it, although there's been no news on that for a long time now.

There also hasn't been any speak at all on the community bus route that's supposed to be starting in August, I wouldn't be surprised if riders get no input at all and staff will design the route entirely based on what they think works. 

transit management really doesn't instill me with much confidence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have heard comments that transit hasn't replaced gary noakes yet and generally seem very quiet on the issue that at least 4 drivers submitted job applications for the position.

rumors still going around about the possible departure of kevin jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised they're offering expanded Canada Day services, especially with current management. running everything except for the major bennett, and even a parking shuttle, and free rides on top of that.

 

"

In celebration of Canada 150, the City of Peterborough is pleased to be offering a number of enhancements to our Canada Day Transit Service.  Normal Statutory Holiday Service will be provided on all 12 regular routes between 8:00 am and 7:20 pm (9:20 am start on the Major Bennett route).

To provide enhanced service for the Musicfest activities at Del Crary Park, service will be extended on all regular routes from 7:20 pm until 11:20 pm, except the Major Bennett route.  In place of the Major Bennett route, a parking shuttle will be provided between 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm - 11:20 pm serving the Simcoe Street parking garage, the King Street parking garage, Del Crary Park and the Memorial Centre parking lot.  The shuttle bus will run every 20 minutes. 

Handi-van service will also run during the same hours, with 2 vans in service until 11:20 pm.  Handi-van customer service staff will be on duty until 8:20 pm and will take trip requests for eligible riders up to this time.  Handi-van bookings will be accepted on a first come first served basis, therefore those wishing to travel during peak times are encouraged to reserve their trips in advance.    

All transit service on Canada Day will be provided free of charge, to encourage residents to chose transit to attend the Canada Day festivities or at least park their car at one of the city lots or garages and ride Peterborough Transit to travel to the park.  Free parking will be provided at the King Street and Simcoe Street parking garages as well as at the Memorial Centre parking lot.

Councillor Don Vassiliadis, who represents Monaghan Ward and is the Chair of Transportation on City Council says, "It is important to offer enhanced transit services on Canada Day. Free bus service offers our citizens an easy and safe option to take the bus instead of a car and they will not have to worry about parking. Environmentally this means fewer emissions on Canada Day!""

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unit 53's been having a lot of issues over the past couple months. Seems to be mostly electrical related as the stop announcement system doesn't work properly on it (it works until it gets to a certain point along all the routes then it stops announcing all together). Also needed to be started from the rear a couple times I saw it at the bus terminal. Interior lights flicker from time to time as well.

Heard of people complaining about the air conditioning on the '16 Nova buses not cooling the bus down as well, although I don't think I'm surprised at this point, they seem pretty crappy all around in terms of design/build quality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By late fall Vassiliadis wants the transit app, community bus, and bike racks installed on some buses (restricting them to the Trent/Fleming Express), seems far fetched to me, considering previous transportation chairs have sat on their hands and done almost nothing for transit. If all three happen I'll be shocked.

 

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/08/22/peterborough-transit-still-waiting-for-low-floor-bus-for-new-service-for-seniors-and-people-with-disabilities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2017 at 10:31 PM, austin_medic said:

unit 53's been having a lot of issues over the past couple months. Seems to be mostly electrical related as the stop announcement system doesn't work properly on it (it works until it gets to a certain point along all the routes then it stops announcing all together). Also needed to be started from the rear a couple times I saw it at the bus terminal. Interior lights flicker from time to time as well.

Heard of people complaining about the air conditioning on the '16 Nova buses not cooling the bus down as well, although I don't think I'm surprised at this point, they seem pretty crappy all around in terms of design/build quality

The automatic climate control is garbage on the nova.  Drivers can only control the AC inside his her cab area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, austin_medic said:

By late fall Vassiliadis wants the transit app, community bus, and bike racks installed on some buses (restricting them to the Trent/Fleming Express), seems far fetched to me, considering previous transportation chairs have sat on their hands and done almost nothing for transit. If all three happen I'll be shocked.

 

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/08/22/peterborough-transit-still-waiting-for-low-floor-bus-for-new-service-for-seniors-and-people-with-disabilities

Vassilidais might want it in place but whether Jones can deliver is another question.

I'm waiting to see if the low income earners ticket makes it into the budget for 2018.  Jones didn't have the documentation etc. ready in time for it go when council was doing the budget for 2017 so it didn't start this year.

Given what I've heard on another transit matter involving documentation that's coming up on 12 months late I'm not going to hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bus schedules got thrown off by traffic on Lansdowne Street so bad today, they started running a shuttle from the terminal to Lansdowne Place. Wonder where the money for that came from, reserve fund? I assume they just used one of their on-call drivers for it, or gave somebody some overtime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, austin_medic said:

Bus schedules got thrown off by traffic on Lansdowne Street so bad today, they started running a shuttle from the terminal to Lansdowne Place. Wonder where the money for that came from, reserve fund? I assume they just used one of their on-call drivers for it, or gave somebody some overtime. 

That seems to be trend now for the long weekends in summer.  Lansdowne Street goes from mad to totally nuts and it throws things off with the buses.  Then again Thursday wasn't much better.

Wonder how viable a direct shuttle would be for Lansdowne Place.  Most people to the mall   seem to get off a the stop outside Sears on Monaghan Rd then back on at the food court stop with seemingly little in between.

 

There's also the Lansdowne and Major Bennett buses which go past.  In theory the later could be utilized for mall shoppers but practicality is another matter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I don't know why they don't just send the Major Bennett into Lansdowne Place inbound and outbound, minimal time/length would be added to the route, assuming it only served the food court stop, and could give it some ridership that it otherwise wouldn't have, although it could also poach riders from the Monaghan route. The Lansdowne route is already too long and far to busy to accommodate shoppers, while the Major Bennett barely has enough riders to warrant running a 40 foot bus on its route, especially during offpeak hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, austin_medic said:

To be honest I don't know why they don't just send the Major Bennett into Lansdowne Place inbound and outbound, minimal time/length would be added to the route, assuming it only served the food court stop, and could give it some ridership that it otherwise wouldn't have, although it could also poach riders from the Monaghan route. The Lansdowne route is already too long and far to busy to accommodate shoppers, while the Major Bennett barely has enough riders to warrant running a 40 foot bus on its route, especially during offpeak hours

Guess you could turn off High Street at the entrance where the Monaghan comes in and then back out where there the lights are (I guess you could call it the Keg Entrance).  It be looping a bit but only a few dozen metres.

Don't know if there would be enough slack in the timetable to allow it though.  Major Bennett is quiet passenger wise but it's still got distance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Fleming route started running today, hopped on and it went straight up Sherbrooke to Brealey to the college, could see the intersections near elementary schools it passes as being problematic for its schedule (although the Fleming Lansdowne has a similar issue with traffic, not really the fault of the route tho). The traffic gets backed up very far, could lead to potential delays. seems it serves all the regular stops along Sherbrooke, there's no express only stops along the way which I guess is better, less confusing for people. 

 

Route maps for the College Routes and the highschool routes have also been put up on their website, 

 

http://www.peterborough.ca/Assets/City+Assets/Transit/Images/High+School+routes+and+schedules.pdf

 

http://www.peterborough.ca/Assets/City+Assets/Transit/Images/Fleming+Lansdowne+Route.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the new replacement for Gary Noakes is shaking things up already.  He's implemented a system where supervisors are now having work rotating weekends and split shifts and it's not sitting well with some.  One supervisors who's been with transit for many years has handed in their notice.

Sounds like this guy could be just the broom Peterborough transit needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally somebody to take out the trash. 

46 minutes ago, Marc said:

Seems the new replacement for Gary Noakes is shaking things up already.  He's implemented a system where supervisors are now having work rotating weekends and split shifts and it's not sitting well with some.  One supervisors who's been with transit for many years has handed in their notice.

Sounds like this guy could be just the broom Peterborough transit needs.

I hope he doesn't end up like Gary Noakes where he just has his head stuck in the sand, believe the guy before Noakes had the same issue. Seems to be a recurring theme in Peterborough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the driver's health and safety committee wants to do air quality tests on all of the buses, at the garage, and at the bus terminal. With all the plastics the nova's use I wouldn't be surprised if they don't like what they find. Regardless doubt the levels would be high enough to warrant any action being taken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, austin_medic said:

hope he doesn't end up like Gary Noakes where he just has his head stuck in the sand, believe the guy before Noakes had the same issue. Seems to be a recurring theme in Peterborough.

Talking to a few drivers and they seem to like what they've seen so far and think he's going to give things a much needed shake up.

Have heard that under Noakes the supervisors were getting fulltime pay for part time work (doing 4 hours a day)  and had gotten quite comfortable with that arrangement.  Having to work full time to earn their pay check isn't sitting too well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of buses going to the scrappers, going past the works yard on the weekend noticed one the handivans sittings there without any Peterborough Transit decals. Friends who use the van service haven't heard of any units being delivered (new vans had been rumoured/promised for 3 years now) so does that mean the vehicle in question is going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×