Peterborough Transit

OC Transpo 8238

On 3/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, Marc said:

Think he only go the job because of his involvement in the Transit review that was done a few years back (and come to think of It not sure if any recommendations have been implemented other than peak services?).

They tried to do some of the recommendations, peak service and the community bus specifically, although community bus didn't even start because there was massive overcrowding problems on the combined Nicholls Park/Trent East Bank route. 

There is a notice posted on the city's website about a staff report that was supposed to go to council about a transit affordability program, and I don't think that report was ever created, let alone presented. It's been posted up on there for a good 12 months now.

also they'll be doing this stuff at some point in the future with fed/province money:

The PTIF projects include the replacement of nine conventional transit buses with new buses that will be more accessible and efficient for transit users. The construction of a new transit maintenance garage and public works yard will ensure that the transit fleet is properly maintained and accommodate the future growth of the fleet. Also, over a hundred accessible transit stop shelters and amenities will be constructed across the city, making the daily commute more comfortable for riders in all weather conditions.

So that kills the Orion's and some of the older novas I guess.

11 hours ago, austin_medic said:

They tried to do some of the recommendations, peak service and the community bus specifically, although community bus didn't even start because there was massive overcrowding problems on the combined Nicholls Park/Trent East Bank route. 

There is a notice posted on the city's website about a staff report that was supposed to go to council about a transit affordability program, and I don't think that report was ever created, let alone presented. It's been posted up on there for a good 12 months now.

also they'll be doing this stuff at some point in the future with fed/province money:

So that kills the Orion's and some of the older novas I guess.

the affordability program is going in next year's budget - seems like on so many other things transit management couldn't get itself organized on the issue in time for 2017 budget.

Was interesting that they decided to have the announcement made at the bus yard.  wasn't going to be there initially and members of the public were invited (include some from the disable community - then it comes out that it's going to be at the bus yard and that's not open to the public).

And do we really need new handi-vans?  Went pass the bus yard during the week (mid-afternoon) and there was 5 vans parked by the fence and one by the shed (which probably meant it needed repairs).  Pity the money can't go to more service with what we have before new stuff is bought.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

And do we really need new handi-vans?  Went pass the bus yard during the week (mid-afternoon) and there was 5 vans parked by the fence and one by the shed (which probably meant it needed repairs).  Pity the money can't go to more service with what we have before new stuff is bought.

The oldest Handivans are from 2008/2009 which makes them around 8-9 years old, which is the reasonable lifespan for a cutaway vehicle. They would need to be replaced with new vehicles either this year or next.

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be a number of runs either delayed or cancelled in recent weeks due to mechanical issues.

One wonders if there's some sort of wide scale problem or (more likely) just one particular bus that has a problem.

I'm shocked they went to the effort to bag all the stops that are out of service and put up notices for the George North detour.

Also seems some of the newer Nova's have some very big flaws in their design. Apparently something to do with the rear axle.

23 hours ago, austin_medic said:

I'm shocked they went to the effort to bag all the stops that are out of service and put up notices for the George North detour.

Also seems some of the newer Nova's have some very big flaws in their design. Apparently something to do with the rear axle.

not related to the acceleration problem the TTC experienced with their articulated fleet?

8 hours ago, Marc said:

not related to the acceleration problem the TTC experienced with their articulated fleet?

I heard of the issue back in December, I'm not sure if it was that or something else, perhaps winter related? Although regardless the 4th gen nova's break down at a much higher rate than the 2nd or 3rd gens we have, some of the drivers don't treat em very well either on the road.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Transit 20 said:

The photos in that posting are of 05, but the VIN matches up with 07.

With the end of the university/college sessions, I guess Peterborough decided they could finally pull the plug on the Orion VIs and not keep them as spares until this year's order of 5 buses comes in.

Anyone know who's responsible for sending out mybeats on transit issues?

Waiting for the Chemong bus at Walmart this afternoon and 2 buses were a no-show.

A person who'd been waiting since 3:15 said the 3:20 bus didn't show up and neither did the 3:40 but what was believe to be a #2 went down Chemong Road at 3:52.

The driver who on the bus that stopped at 4:00 said the other bus had been involved in an accident but there was absolutely no mybeat message about the situation.

Given that weather/road works and mechanical issues are playing major havoc with the transit at the moment, maybe management should pull the finger out and keep the riders better informed.  The facility is there but they aren't using it fully.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Marc said:

Waiting for the Chemong bus at Walmart this afternoon and 2 buses were a no-show.

A person who'd been waiting since 3:15 said the 3:20 bus didn't show up and neither did the 3:40 but what was believe to be a #2 went down Chemong Road at 3:52.

The driver who on the bus that stopped at 4:00 said the other bus had been involved in an accident but there was absolutely no mybeat message about the situation.

Given that weather/road works and mechanical issues are playing major havoc with the transit at the moment, maybe management should pull the finger out and keep the riders better informed.  The facility is there but they aren't using it fully.

I am sure Peterborough Transit was dealing with the accident would be more important then letting you know the bus was late. Im sure they were dealing with EMS, Police and Fire. Hopefully no one was hurt. Less then 45 mins wait stop crying.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 3:21 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

I am sure Peterborough Transit was dealing with the accident would be more important they letting you know the bus was late. Im sure they were dealing with EMS, Police and Fire. Hopefully no one was hurt. Less then 45 mins wait stop crying.

Given there was no screaming sirens etc and the bus could be scene as we pulled out of walmart the bus could be seen sitting on chemong road without emergency services in attendance.

Given there was no screaming sirens etc and the bus could be scene as we pulled out of walmart the bus could be seen sitting on chemong road without emergency services in attendance.

Secondly notifications of delays due to MVC involving buses have been sent out in the past such as a couple of months back when the a bus hit a pedestrian.

No quite a MVC but notifications were sent out twice last week when there was medical emergency on two difference buses at two difference times.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Marc said:

I assume most of the communications over mybeat rests solely on dispatch staff. many times messages don't even get sent out for stuff like this. They either forget to do it or don't think its significant  enough to warrant a message. 

it was said somewhere they are planning on getting a transit app up and running this spring, and money was allocated in the budget for it, although there's been no news on that for a long time now.

There also hasn't been any speak at all on the community bus route that's supposed to be starting in August, I wouldn't be surprised if riders get no input at all and staff will design the route entirely based on what they think works. 

45 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

I assume most of the communications over mybeat rests solely on dispatch staff. many times messages don't even get sent out for stuff like this. They either forget to do it or don't think its significant  enough to warrant a message. 

it was said somewhere they are planning on getting a transit app up and running this spring, and money was allocated in the budget for it, although there's been no news on that for a long time now.

There also hasn't been any speak at all on the community bus route that's supposed to be starting in August, I wouldn't be surprised if riders get no input at all and staff will design the route entirely based on what they think works. 

transit management really doesn't instill me with much confidence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have heard comments that transit hasn't replaced gary noakes yet and generally seem very quiet on the issue that at least 4 drivers submitted job applications for the position.

rumors still going around about the possible departure of kevin jones.

I'm surprised they're offering expanded Canada Day services, especially with current management. running everything except for the major bennett, and even a parking shuttle, and free rides on top of that.

"

In celebration of Canada 150, the City of Peterborough is pleased to be offering a number of enhancements to our Canada Day Transit Service.  Normal Statutory Holiday Service will be provided on all 12 regular routes between 8:00 am and 7:20 pm (9:20 am start on the Major Bennett route).

To provide enhanced service for the Musicfest activities at Del Crary Park, service will be extended on all regular routes from 7:20 pm until 11:20 pm, except the Major Bennett route.  In place of the Major Bennett route, a parking shuttle will be provided between 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm - 11:20 pm serving the Simcoe Street parking garage, the King Street parking garage, Del Crary Park and the Memorial Centre parking lot.  The shuttle bus will run every 20 minutes. 

Handi-van service will also run during the same hours, with 2 vans in service until 11:20 pm.  Handi-van customer service staff will be on duty until 8:20 pm and will take trip requests for eligible riders up to this time.  Handi-van bookings will be accepted on a first come first served basis, therefore those wishing to travel during peak times are encouraged to reserve their trips in advance.    

All transit service on Canada Day will be provided free of charge, to encourage residents to chose transit to attend the Canada Day festivities or at least park their car at one of the city lots or garages and ride Peterborough Transit to travel to the park.  Free parking will be provided at the King Street and Simcoe Street parking garages as well as at the Memorial Centre parking lot.

Councillor Don Vassiliadis, who represents Monaghan Ward and is the Chair of Transportation on City Council says, "It is important to offer enhanced transit services on Canada Day. Free bus service offers our citizens an easy and safe option to take the bus instead of a car and they will not have to worry about parking. Environmentally this means fewer emissions on Canada Day!""

• 4 weeks later...

unit 53's been having a lot of issues over the past couple months. Seems to be mostly electrical related as the stop announcement system doesn't work properly on it (it works until it gets to a certain point along all the routes then it stops announcing all together). Also needed to be started from the rear a couple times I saw it at the bus terminal. Interior lights flicker from time to time as well.

Heard of people complaining about the air conditioning on the '16 Nova buses not cooling the bus down as well, although I don't think I'm surprised at this point, they seem pretty crappy all around in terms of design/build quality

• 4 weeks later...

By late fall Vassiliadis wants the transit app, community bus, and bike racks installed on some buses (restricting them to the Trent/Fleming Express), seems far fetched to me, considering previous transportation chairs have sat on their hands and done almost nothing for transit. If all three happen I'll be shocked.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/08/22/peterborough-transit-still-waiting-for-low-floor-bus-for-new-service-for-seniors-and-people-with-disabilities

On 27/07/2017 at 10:31 PM, austin_medic said:

unit 53's been having a lot of issues over the past couple months. Seems to be mostly electrical related as the stop announcement system doesn't work properly on it (it works until it gets to a certain point along all the routes then it stops announcing all together). Also needed to be started from the rear a couple times I saw it at the bus terminal. Interior lights flicker from time to time as well.

Heard of people complaining about the air conditioning on the '16 Nova buses not cooling the bus down as well, although I don't think I'm surprised at this point, they seem pretty crappy all around in terms of design/build quality

The automatic climate control is garbage on the nova.  Drivers can only control the AC inside his her cab area.

20 hours ago, austin_medic said:

By late fall Vassiliadis wants the transit app, community bus, and bike racks installed on some buses (restricting them to the Trent/Fleming Express), seems far fetched to me, considering previous transportation chairs have sat on their hands and done almost nothing for transit. If all three happen I'll be shocked.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/08/22/peterborough-transit-still-waiting-for-low-floor-bus-for-new-service-for-seniors-and-people-with-disabilities

Vassilidais might want it in place but whether Jones can deliver is another question.

I'm waiting to see if the low income earners ticket makes it into the budget for 2018.  Jones didn't have the documentation etc. ready in time for it go when council was doing the budget for 2017 so it didn't start this year.

Given what I've heard on another transit matter involving documentation that's coming up on 12 months late I'm not going to hold my breath.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, austin_medic said:

Bus schedules got thrown off by traffic on Lansdowne Street so bad today, they started running a shuttle from the terminal to Lansdowne Place. Wonder where the money for that came from, reserve fund? I assume they just used one of their on-call drivers for it, or gave somebody some overtime. 

That seems to be trend now for the long weekends in summer.  Lansdowne Street goes from mad to totally nuts and it throws things off with the buses.  Then again Thursday wasn't much better.

Wonder how viable a direct shuttle would be for Lansdowne Place.  Most people to the mall   seem to get off a the stop outside Sears on Monaghan Rd then back on at the food court stop with seemingly little in between.

There's also the Lansdowne and Major Bennett buses which go past.  In theory the later could be utilized for mall shoppers but practicality is another matter.