Peterborough Transit

OC Transpo 8238

Does Peterborough still plan to add 20 minute peak service to more routes?

nothing has been said in the media nor in the budget discussions and I'm not sure the demand would be there but we are getting transit on public holidays at long last.

it was also reported in the local paper last week that extra Fleming Express services may be introduced (subject to a vote by students). This according to the Examiner would require an extra 4 buses with a price tag of $2million suggesting they would look to purchase new buses.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So since I live in Peterborough thought I'd post some stuff here thats happened over the past couple months.

64-66 were delivered around New Years, and have been in regular service almost every day since.

Fleming College has agreed to enter into a U-Pass agreement with the city, and that means:

A bus every 15 minutes between the downtown terminal and Fleming between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. on weekdays.

A new hourly express bus on Saturdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

A new late-night bus that would run every 30 minutes, between 11:30 p.m. and 3:25 a.m., on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights between downtown and the college.

Supposedly Phase I service will begin in the fall semester when the first two buses get delivered (so a bus will be along every 30 minutes instead of 15), and Phase II service will begin when the other two arrive sometime in 2017 (full 15 minute service).

I heard they're going to hire more drivers as well as another full time mechanic as well.

The buses also now announce the route and destination over the external speaker when the front doors open.

So since I live in Peterborough thought I'd post some stuff here thats happened over the past couple months.

64-66 were delivered around New Years, and have been in regular service almost every day since.

Fleming College has agreed to enter into a U-Pass agreement with the city, and that means:

A bus every 15 minutes between the downtown terminal and Fleming between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. on weekdays.

A new hourly express bus on Saturdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

A new late-night bus that would run every 30 minutes, between 11:30 p.m. and 3:25 a.m., on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights between downtown and the college.

Supposedly Phase I service will begin in the fall semester when the first two buses get delivered (so a bus will be along every 30 minutes instead of 15), and Phase II service will begin when the other two arrive sometime in 2017 (full 15 minute service).

I heard they're going to hire more drivers as well as another full time mechanic as well.

They had an event outside of city hall for the unveiling of the new buses. Going by the photos on Maryam Monsef's Facebook page, they used 64 for the ribbon cutting and it was there looking all shiny and new.

So the city is also trying to get a program going to give low-income people a cheaper bus pass, 4 options on the table now

Option 1

Offer a 30-day bus pass for low-income adults for $26 (down from the full price of $60.) Right now only people living on social assistance can buy a $26 monthly pass; this would mean any adult living on a low income could get this cheaper rate.

Potential lost fare revenue: At least $115,000

Option 2

Eliminate the special yearly bus pass for seniors. Right now all seniors - regardless of income - pay $220 for a yearly pass (which would cost $720 at full price.) Instead, offer a $240 yearly pass only to seniors living on low income.

Potential lost fare revenue: At least $120,000

Option 3

Same as Option 2, except add a 10% fare increase for all. (The only exception: the 30-day pass for students would remain at the current rate of $55.)

The fare hike would mean $2.75 to ride the bus instead of the current fare of $2.50.

Potential lost fare revenue: At least $22,000

Option 4

Everyone pays a flat rate of $60 for a 30-day pass, whether you're an adult, child, student or senior. (Right now it's $60 for an adult, $40 for a child or a senior and $55 for a student.)

However, anyone in any age category who lives in a low-income household can buy a $26 monthly pass.

Potential lost fare revenue: At least $59,000

To qualify for any of these discounts, riders have to meet the city's definition of low-income.

If you live alone, you'd have to be making about $16,700 a year.

If you live in a two-person household, the income is about $20,355. In a four-person household, it's about $31,618.

• 3 weeks later...

The Orion VI are not liked. The driver gets to pick whatever bus is there. In the morning there are still some LFS left over, so they tend to get used for the highschool runs. But in the afternoon, all the LFS busses are out. Usually doing the university runs, or peak service. So the Orions are the only thing left except the MCIs, which are hated more than the Orions.

I think its 2 or 3 for morning and afternoon, first bus in the morning sits in the spare bay for about 15 or 20 minutes until after the last bus for the 8 AM trip has arrived, second one pulls in and loads up then leaves after all other routes depart, sometimes I see a third one sitting on the corner though

10 hours ago, 2822 said:

How many buses are used for High school runs?

2 hours ago, austin_medic said:

I think its 2 or 3 for morning and afternoon, first bus in the morning sits in the spare bay for about 15 or 20 minutes until after the last bus for the 8 AM trip has arrived, second one pulls in and loads up then leaves after all other routes depart, sometimes I see a third one sitting on the corner though

Based on my previous visit to Peterborough, there were 4 buses used in the afternoon, and I would assume they would use the same number for the AM. BTW all 4 school runs were Novas during my visit, no VIs or Classics out anywhere. This was during February, so the universities were in session.

• 4 weeks later...

The renovations at the bus terminal are complete. New waiting area was open today, has new seats and the temporary customer service window was boarded up. The trailer that was being used was in the process of being packed up.  Some new seats were also placed outside infront of the waiting area. 

Well pretty much anything that isn't a NovaBus will be dead by the end of 2018 if the city stays on schedule with their plans 

The city has a goal of making its bus fleet 100% accessible by 2018 - and it looks like the goal is within reach.

-Peterborough Examiner

2 hours ago, austin_medic said:

Well pretty much anything that isn't a NovaBus will be dead by the end of 2018 if the city stays on schedule with their plans 

-Peterborough Examiner

So the Orion VI buses are next for retirement. After that,  all Novas from now om