Peterborough Transit

OC Transpo 8238

When I was in attendance at the Peterborough Classic Charter, the Water Works yard was filled with buses. Orion VI's and an abundance of Classics. I'm only guessing but, wouldn't there have been enough buses to have around to fulfill peak requirement over there instead of leasing more buses?

During the summer they all get parked after summer is out and only needed for spares and MTO requires them to have certain number of buses or is it insurance anyways one of them requires them to have so many buses. Its normal in the summer to see them parked to late august then go in for repairs and safety

14 was in the active lanes Friday and the mechanic said it was an active unit.

Hmmm who told you that do you remember this guys name? I was told by more than one driver its not supposed to be in service. Maybe they had no Choice and temp out of retirement? Maybe they made a mistake retiring 14

I will call up a supervisor and ask what is going on with 14 and 04. And I will post when I am done my chat with Mr. Burdette the operations manager. I left a message on his phone so as soon as he calls back ill let you guys know

The other Peterborough Transit thread is locked- maybe the two can be merged.

Threads merged.

IMG_20130909_151301.jpg

What's up with handheld devices behind the wheel??? How intelligent! How smart! How swift!

The CPTDB administration does not condone transit photography like this. This is illegal in certain jurisdictions and do not expect sympathy from us if you find yourself with a traffic infraction.

SMS on behalf of the CPTDB admin

Threads merged.

What's up with handheld devices behind the wheel??? How intelligent! How smart! How swift!

The CPTDB administration does not condone transit photography like this. This is illegal in certain jurisdictions and do not expect sympathy from us if you find yourself with a traffic infraction.

SMS on behalf of the CPTDB admin

I was in park. I was waiting for him to turn. So it was not illegal. That's 2 lanes he took up so threw my car in park and waited so no this was legal sure if I was driving. Ask me private message me. Stuff like this make me mad. I wasn't in the wrong. If it was please make people aware of this being not allowed

Only time if its illegal by the OPP is if the car is in park on brake so I was totally legal in this photo.

Andrew burdette was busy today so going to call an ask him tomorrow

I was in park. I was waiting for him to turn. So it was not illegal. That's 2 lanes he took up so threw my car in park and waited so no this was legal sure if I was driving. Ask me private message me. Stuff like this make me mad. I wasn't in the wrong. If it was please make people aware of this being not allowed

Only time if its illegal by the OPP is if the car is in park on brake so I was totally legal in this photo.

Andrew burdette was busy today so going to call an ask him tomorrow

Keep bugging office staff about a couple buses.... I'm sure they aren't busy enough already without having you crawling on his back for information.

Well my bus driver friend confirmed that 04 and 14 is gone officially retired. 48 2nd gen nova is having a bad time. Awful death tick smoking heavily and 53 a third gen nova caught fire a few months ago like in June/July 2013 due to NovaBUS factory left oily rag in the engine compartment so was shipped off to Montreal to get it fix and was there for a month. He didn't confirmed what was fixed on it but did some damage. 53was in service yesterday

Remeber the fire but wasn't also one of the Nova damage in a collision with a car or am I getting confused with something else (I know one of the new handi vans got t-boned).

Incidently there new vans are gas rathe than diesel? Any advantage?

The leased Orion VI is having a VIN# of 2B1669P75V6040194, apparently hand written number 69840 were seen on both sides of the bus right beside the side mirror. Anyone can confirm the ex MT fleet number of the bus? Thx

Orion V #4 was sitting outside beside the barn, together with 801. 402 was on the hoist while 802, 401, Orion VI 69840 and ex-Timmins Classics were all on TASS specials today. I was being confirmed that #14 is still active as of today.

The leased Orion VI is having a VIN# of 2B1669P75V6040194, apparently hand written number 69840 were seen on both sides of the bus right beside the side mirror. Anyone can confirm the ex MT fleet number of the bus? Thx

Orion V #4 was sitting outside beside the barn, together with 801. 402 was on the hoist while 802, 401, Orion VI 69840 and ex-Timmins Classics were all on TASS specials today. I was being confirmed that #14 is still active as of today.

According to the MT Wiki, VIN 6040194 would be ex-Mississississauga Transit 9841, if everything is in sequence.

According to the MT Wiki, VIN 6040194 would be ex-Mississississauga Transit 9841, if everything is in sequence.

I checked the Timmins Wiki as well which Timmins Transit leased one of the Eastway refurbished Orion VI to temporary replace 59 while it's away for refurbishing, that Orion VI is having the same plate #BM 8132 as the one Peterborough is having this time. I cannot confirm if both are really the same unit as that Timmins loaner is stated to be ex MT 9840 on the WIKI while this one at Peterborough is ex-MT 9841 according to the VIN, however, as I stated there is a hand written small number #69840 on both sides of the bus. Anyone has a VIN# for that Timmins Orion VI loaner? Thx

I checked the Timmins Wiki as well which Timmins Transit leased one of the Eastway refurbished Orion VI to temporary replace 59 while it's away for refurbishing, that Orion VI is having the same plate #BM 8132 as the one Peterborough is having this time. I cannot confirm if both are really the same unit as that Timmins loaner is stated to be ex MT 9840 on the WIKI while this one at Peterborough is ex-MT 9841 according to the VIN, however, as I stated there is a hand written small number #69840 on both sides of the bus. Anyone has a VIN# for that Timmins Orion VI loaner? Thx

User cmc12 checked an ex-MT unit that was on display, getting a photo of its VIN plate which reads 6040195 when blown up:

http://cmc12scollect...otoid=181673802

Counting up from the limited VINs in the MT Orion VI CPTDB wiki page, if everything is in sequence, 9840 would be 6040193, 9841 would be 6040194, and 9842 would be 6040195.

http://www.cptdb.ca/...ansit_9801-9842

BUT, there appears to be a bit of a sequence gap between the only two given VINs in the Wiki, suggesting the series may not actually have sequential VINs. Thus, it's possible cmc12 may have misidentified the Eastway unit from the VIN as 9842 when it could have been 9841, using the limited Wiki info. Thus, the Eastway 69840 you saw could be correct and the unit you saw could indeed be ex-MT 9840, as the number given and plates would confirm.

Without a list of Mississausage Transit Orion VI VINs it's hard to really say, although I'm sure someone out there has a fleet roster or two that shows it (and even then, official fleet rosters can be incorrect, I've seen it before...).

User cmc12 checked an ex-MT unit that was on display, getting a photo of its VIN plate which reads 6040195 when blown up:

http://cmc12scollect...otoid=181673802

Counting up from the limited VINs in the MT Orion VI CPTDB wiki page, if everything is in sequence, 9840 would be 6040193, 9841 would be 6040194, and 9842 would be 6040195.

http://www.cptdb.ca/...ansit_9801-9842

BUT, there appears to be a bit of a sequence gap between the only two given VINs in the Wiki, suggesting the series may not actually have sequential VINs. Thus, it's possible cmc12 may have misidentified the Eastway unit from the VIN as 9842 when it could have been 9841, using the limited Wiki info. Thus, the Eastway 69840 you saw could be correct and the unit you saw could indeed be ex-MT 9840, as the number given and plates would confirm.

Without a list of Mississausage Transit Orion VI VINs it's hard to really say, although I'm sure someone out there has a fleet roster or two that shows it (and even then, official fleet rosters can be incorrect, I've seen it before...).

I figured it was 9842 on display at OTE because, according to the wiki, Eastway has ex 9840 and 9842. From the Timmins thread:

The leased bus is ex-Mississauga Transit 9840, according to a reliable source.

9840 would have been up in Timmins at that time, which means that 9842 should have been the one at OTE. But, if 9840 has a VIN of 6040194 and 9842 supposedly has a VIN of 6040195, then what about 9841? Or does Eastway own 9841 and not 9842? (or both?)

I stopped in town yesterday afternoon. 7 of the 8 Utah Classics were in service, as well as one of the leased units:

28 was on 2 Chemong

29 and 31 were on 9 TASS Special

30 and 35 were on 7 Lansdowne

32 was on 8 Monaghan

33 was on 10 Collison

402 was on 4 TASS Special

How many school runs does Peterborough Transit have? When I was there last year, I believe they had 4 TASS specials (a 4, two 9s, and an 11) and 1 Holy Cross Special (an 11).

402.JPG402b.JPG

I figured it was 9842 on display at OTE because, according to the wiki, Eastway has ex 9840 and 9842. From the Timmins thread:

9840 would have been up in Timmins at that time, which means that 9842 should have been the one at OTE. But, if 9840 has a VIN of 6040194 and 9842 supposedly has a VIN of 6040195, then what about 9841? Or does Eastway own 9841 and not 9842? (or both?)

I stopped in town yesterday afternoon. 7 of the 8 Utah Classics were in service, as well as one of the leased units:

28 was on 2 Chemong

29 and 31 were on 9 TASS Special

30 and 35 were on 7 Lansdowne

32 was on 8 Monaghan

33 was on 10 Collison

402 was on 4 TASS Special

How many school runs does Peterborough Transit have? When I was there last year, I believe they had 4 TASS specials (a 4, two 9s, and an 11) and 1 Holy Cross Special (an 11).

402.JPG402b.JPG

I would assume this Orion VI with license plate #BM8132 at Peterborough now is the same unit that was leased to Timmins Transit a while back given the same plate number. It doesn't make any sense for them to move the plates around different refurbished Orion VI that they have. Btw anyone know how many MT Orion VI Eastway has refurbished and how many of them still sitting at Eastway in Pembroke?

Classics 401, 402, 801 and 802 still have the same license plate # as I saw them at Pearson airport when GTAA(or Pacific Western?) leased them for the employee shuttle between terminal 1 and 3 few years back

You were stopped in the middle of the road, the law states its only legal if your pulled off the road are in a legal parking spot

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving/exemptions.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

I was a day late going. I went to Peterborough on the 1st instead of the 30th. The 4-5 hour bus ride was well worth it. I stayed at the terminal area most of the day then went over to the garage and luckily I has caught the Classics and the Orion preparing to leave. There was no new novas and 14 was on the lift at the garage.

10047394174_4f7af4f979_b.jpg10047473566_8223f9a6f4_b.jpg10047563533_c2091f2554_b.jpg10047571563_eebb382f6c_b.jpgPeterborough Transit Ex-Timmins Classic.jpg10047636386_0f22efe908_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was a day late going. I went to Peterborough on the 1st instead of the 30th. The 4-5 hour bus ride was well worth it. I stayed at the terminal area most of the day then went over to the garage and luckily I has caught the Classics and the Orion preparing to leave. There was no new novas and 14 was on the lift at the garage.

10047394174_4f7af4f979_b.jpg10047473566_8223f9a6f4_b.jpg10047563533_c2091f2554_b.jpg10047571563_eebb382f6c_b.jpgPeterborough Transit Ex-Timmins Classic.jpg10047636386_0f22efe908_b.jpg

I've heard from one driver the new Novas have been delayed due to a component shortage that was holding up prouduction but that was several weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a least one of the new buses has arrived - Spotted #55 out tonight. One big give away - destination display on the back that shows the route number as a word. And it seems the arrival of the new buses co-incides with the departure of the transit manager. Today was Jim Kimble's last day. Hopefully the new Transit manager will take a less head in the sand approach to some of the issues.

The arrival of the new Nova's must mark the end of the loaner bus. I was there about a month ago which only 2 loaner buses were used for the school specials during the PM run, as they have enough spare buses(ex-UTAH Classics) to handle the school specials. Note that 801 was being returned to Eastway about a month ago due to the blown motor and was traded in with another Orion VI--ex-Mississauga Transit 9823.

Incidently there new vans are gas rathe than diesel? Any advantage?

New vans are V10 gas motors

The new buses, (55-60) all have side destination signs, and route signs on the back. Also they have LED headlights instead of the projection ones, and signals in the side view mirrors.

Inside the seat configuration is set up so it can now take 3 wheelchairs instead of 2. The stop announcement display is now built into the roof instead of added on.

The worst part for me is the drivers seat has no arm rest, but I've been told they will be added. The engine retarder now only engages when the brakes are touched, unlike the other Novas in the fleet that engage as soon as the gas pedal is released.

The transmissions are 6 speed, the older Novas have 5 speed transmissions.

Also the new buses have a gauge for diesel exhaust fluid.

• 2 months later...

Just arrived from Peterborough today, all 6 new LFS units 55-60 were out in service. Rode unit 57 on the 2 Chemong. They seat 35 passengers and have the American Seating Insight seats. No rear window, plus a side and rear sign display if that hasn't already been mentioned. The Classics have pretty much been restricted to school specials, saw 30 and 35 out. An Orion VI (06) was also out on a school special as well.