Presto on GRT

blaisen1

Do any of you "insiders" know when this is likely going to happen, if at all? I take the bus to work and back 2-3 times/week, I hate hate hate using tickets and transfers, and obviously that level of ridership doesn't make sense to have a monthly pass. I also use GO on occasion so I do have a Presto card.

Also, even though the GRT page says there is co-fair for GO in place, none of the 3 drivers I've asked have any idea how it works. Can I pay 50 cents, show my presto card, to get from home to the GO train or bus? Or home again for the same rate after using GO?

It's a shame because MiWay/GO work great in this regard when travelling to the airport..

B1

Also, even though the GRT page says there is co-fair for GO in place, none of the 3 drivers I've asked have any idea how it works. Can I pay 50 cents, show my presto card, to get from home to the GO train or bus? Or home again for the same rate after using GO?

Show Presto Card, pay 50 cents. I think you can get a transfer as well.

Do any of you "insiders" know when this is likely going to happen, if at all?

It is likely to happen by around 2016. There should be a report with lots more detail coming to Planning & Works Committee of Region of Waterloo council this fall.

I was musing over a Milton Transit ride guide earlier today, and noticed a section of it in which it mentions a similar policy to what is described above. Perhaps I'm just being thick, in which case forgive me, but how does this work? Could a fare beater not, conceivably, take a Presto card from someone in his household for example, and then present it to the driver and get away with paying just 50 cents? I'm assuming Kitchener is like Milton where the driver has no way of reading the card to see if the GO fare was actually deducted.

I was musing over a Milton Transit ride guide earlier today, and noticed a section of it in which it mentions a similar policy to what is described above. Perhaps I'm just being thick, in which case forgive me, but how does this work? Could a fare beater not, conceivably, take a Presto card from someone in his household for example, and then present it to the driver and get away with paying just 50 cents?

YUUUUP! But "hey, this is GRT". They don't care about the revenue! It's all about the ridership numbers to support the LRT plan!

YUUUUP! But "hey, this is GRT". They don't care about the revenue! It's all about the ridership numbers to support the LRT plan!

GRT isn't the one offering the discount, GO is paying GRT for the difference between the standard price and the discount price. It's GO's policy and GO's money, and they have nothing to do with the LRT project.

But let's not miss a chance to make a completely baseless claim about LRT, right?

I'm sure the loophole will be closed when GRT gets Presto, and until then it's considered reasonable. There's all of two trains a day, how many people need to go to Weber and Victoria at 6am for reasons other than the GO train?

This is what you do if you want to ride GRT for free. Just refuse to pay. Drivers must let you ride. That's the policy.

Oh, are you wonderful!

That may be the "policy" in your mind, but it is still up to the driver, as well. Chronic "scammers" get caught all the time.

Heck, just today I had a kid get on my bus, with the old story, "I forgot my wallet" ......... (LMFAO) ........... well, the Supervisor was sitting not too far away, in the van, and I told this kid, "Hey, I need a fare, $3.00 cash, or a ticket. If not, you can go speak to the Supervisor, or Security" ............ You know what he did? Opened up his hand, which was full of coins, and dropped $3.15 into the farebox! Did I say anything when the fare box "beeped", indicating the full fare had been paid? Nope. I just let him keep dumping coins in.

I get tired of being jerked around by everyone who thinks that all they have to say is, "I don't have any money", and they can ride for free. (Start walking! It's a nice sunny day!)

What do I say to everyone else who either bought a Monthly pass, has tickets, or paid cash? "It's OK, we'll just raise the fare again to cover off guys like this?

Get a grip.

(OK, I know, now, that almost everyone on here is going to chastise me for that comment, but hey, I really don't give a damn. You drive your bus, or ride the bus, and I'll do what's really, and truly the right thing to do. Pay the GD fare!)

Yes, comments like GRTMOFO said p!ss me off, but that's not going to change how I traet the scammers. Sorry, that just the way it is.

OK, fire away ...........................................

Well said Leave!

The policy is to collect a fare, but if the customer seems legit you can let them ride after explaining what the fare is. This does not give every one the right to just say I don't have money. I used to carry excess fare receipts all the time, I had this one guy get on and say all he had was a fifty, I let it go the first day, the second day I told him that he needed exact change tomorrow and when tomorrow came he gave me the same story. He put the fifty in and I wrote him an excess fare receipt for $40 bucks. he didn't say a thing.

And the .50 cent fare is only with proof of PRESTO or a go ticket, so you could use it to go to the soup kitchen if you wanted to but if you went to all the trouble to get a GO ticket, for thsat day, or got a PRESTO card. Good for you you've earned the discount.

It is certainly not "up to the driver". And when these losers call in and say you were rude (though in fact you were not), you are going to get in trouble. And I will not.

Fare collection has always been and will always be a game that as an oeprator you cannot win. It take some guys longer to figure it our than others, and of course some never figure it out. Stress yourself out trying if you must. It used to bother me as well and it took a few years for my think skull to absorb that the company is telling us not to worry about it. We all took the FIDO course where it was very clearly spelled out that we are to "inform, not enforce".

Sorry to offend those who mean well, but as a now retired driver once said, "This is the only job I've ever had where the best way to do your job is to not do your job". My attitude is not sh***y at all, I just do what those who pay my wage expect of me. And I stay out of trouble.

It is certainly not "up to the driver". And when these losers call in and say you were rude (though in fact you were not), you are going to get in trouble. And I will not.

That is a little untrue. Yes the do sometimes call in and say the driver was rude, but if you were not then there isn't a worry for the operator. The camera does not lie, and they have proven on more that a hundred times a week that not all the operators are rude in fact 99% of the operators are not, those are the one's who don't hear from the "white shirts". Those who do, well...

And yes the policy is "inform, not enforce" we don't want any one getting killed over three dollars.

• 2 months later...