1996 Orion V retirements

Bus_Medic

Last time I was at Hanna's Point, I didn't see a TTC bus waiting for the boat passengers.

Maybe you were waiting in the wrong spot, It's HANLAN's point.

7106's expires in May 2015. Any idea on the status of 7060 (license expires in March)?

well, maybe may then. I was going by an estimation, I honestly don't care enough to look it up.

7060 is long gone, decommissioned and disposed of.

Only 4 left waiting for tow: 7013, 7033, 7123, 7128.

Maybe you were waiting in the wrong spot, It's HANLAN's point.

well, maybe may then. I was going by an estimation, I honestly don't care enough to look it up.

7060 is long gone, decommissioned and disposed of.

Only 4 left waiting for tow: 7013, 7033, 7123, 7128.

Where are these Orions going for scrap? Sorry, I haven't been following this since the beginning of the retirements..

Sorry Kevin. Yes 7 in Ontario. The mobile browser isn't very good as it won't let me edit my posts or quote them. Does anyone know how much it is to ride the ferry? Haven't been on it since 2002

I think drt with 2003 8050 from 5 is the only orion v with drt and maybe in service?

Where are these Orions going for scrap? Sorry, I haven't been following this since the beginning of the retirements..

I do recall that i was on the ttc sales website back in july 2014 and said closed tender adwarded to Langille's scrap of port perry. Here's the website of that scrap yard http://www.scrapandcores.com/index.html

I wouldn't be giving away details of the location of a scrap yard. Scrap yards are notoriously unfriendly toward transit fans. Not only that, they're probably disposed as quick as possible so no chance of even getting photos (assuming you're even allowed past the front gate).

I wouldn't be giving away details of the location of a scrap yard. Scrap yards are notoriously unfriendly toward transit fans. Not only that, they're probably disposed as quick as possible so no chance of even getting photos (assuming you're even allowed past the front gate).

Hmmm

I think drt with 2003 8050 from 5 is the only orion v with drt and maybe in service?

I do recall that i was on the ttc sales website back in july 2014 and said closed tender adwarded to Langille's scrap of port perry. Here's the website of that scrap yard http://www.scrapandcores.com/index.html

Thanks for the information!

I understand that scrap yards process stuff pretty quickly. I just wanted to know where they ended up for scrap. I don't usually go to scrap yards to take photos or anything.

I'm curious about the differences between the three varieties of diesel Orion Vs.in terms of drivetrain.

As I recall with riding 6734 a few times, there seemed to be a real-time indicator on the dash showing the gear the transmission was in. Is this hidden away somewhere on the 7000s/9400s? I haven't noticed it, but they're all supposed to have the same transmission according to wiki.

Also, why does the transmission (or maybe engine) seem to work differently in the 7000s vs 9400s? The 7000s would shift up into some higher gear around 30 km/h or so, the engine revs would drop, but you'd get a real shove in the back. I'm not feeling this in the 9400s. Is it transmission tuning, or engine torque characteristics, or what?

Any figures on the torque and horsepower of the three different engines in these buses would be of interest. I figure the 6600s would be the lightest, given no lift or bike rack. They also seemed very fast--quite a revelation when first introduced. The 7000s seem pretty fast, in a more low-RPM way. The 9400s, I dunno, don't feel all that good-performing to me.

There are a lot of people, in the interest of roster keeping, that keep track of where a bus ends up after it leaves an agency. Be it scrapyard, reseller, dealer or other agency. Compared to the rail community where the dispositions of thousands of locomotives are known right to the month & year of ownership changes, dealers, resellers, and scrap dealers, a lot of this information doesn't seem to be documented or thought of as of any importance to many in the transit fan community.

Hell, nobody hid the fact that almost 100 CP GP9's went to ABC Metals in Langley BC for scrap, because most people were smart enough to figure out they weren't going to get anywhere asking for anything. The others...let them ask. Worst case they get sent packing, best case they get lucky and get the run of the place to pick all the parts they want.

Scrap yards are notoriously unfriendly toward everybody and anybody who has no business being there unless they are there to sell something they want, namely scrap. It is after all a business and private property. They don't owe anyone a tour, especially transit fans.

Worst case they get sent packing, best case they get lucky and get the run of the place to pick all the parts they want.

I agree, never hurts to ask. Also doesn't hurt to bring a big pile of useless scrap metal while you're at it....wink wink, nudge, nudge, hint hint.........just saying

Scrap yards are notoriously unfriendly toward everybody and anybody who has no business being there unless they are there to sell something they want, namely scrap. It is after all a business and private property. They don't owe anyone a tour, especially transit fans.

IF I were to go to that scrap yard to see if any buses are there I would bring my load of scrap metal sitting in my backyard with me along with that bucket of scrap copper to sell to them. I wouldn't go there just to see if any buses are there. If it was on Mavis road in Mississauga then it wouldn't be an issue just to pass by. I guess if you go there and intend to do business with them (selling your scrap) you could ask if you take a few parts off the bus. Like Pat said, "never hurts to ask".

I'm curious about the differences between the three varieties of diesel Orion Vs.in terms of drivetrain.

As I recall with riding 6734 a few times, there seemed to be a real-time indicator on the dash showing the gear the transmission was in. Is this hidden away somewhere on the 7000s/9400s? I haven't noticed it, but they're all supposed to have the same transmission according to wiki.

Also, why does the transmission (or maybe engine) seem to work differently in the 7000s vs 9400s? The 7000s would shift up into some higher gear around 30 km/h or so, the engine revs would drop, but you'd get a real shove in the back. I'm not feeling this in the 9400s. Is it transmission tuning, or engine torque characteristics, or what?

Any figures on the torque and horsepower of the three different engines in these buses would be of interest. I figure the 6600s would be the lightest, given no lift or bike rack. They also seemed very fast--quite a revelation when first introduced. The 7000s seem pretty fast, in a more low-RPM way. The 9400s, I dunno, don't feel all that good-performing to me.

All of TTC's Orion V's ended up with the same transmissions, Allison B400R 5-speeds. They used the same selector keypad with a "select" and "monitor" display which indicates which gear the transmission is currently in. The keypads used on 7300-8099 do not have the "monitor" display.

The 66 and 6700s as well as the 9300s were delivered with ZF tranys which were replaced with B400's in 1994/95. The ZF keypads were mounted in the front dash and the Allison in their place. On the 7000s and 9400s the B400 was the original spec and was installed on the side dash.

The 9400s were retrofited with Cummins M11 engines in 2006 as part of their diesel conversion. The M11 is a large engine, larger than what the TTC would normally spec. These engines were well suited to the heavy loads and steep hills found along the Dufferin route where the 9400s spent most of their time. The only drawback to having these powerful engines was the strain they put on the transmissions, the beefier B500 transmission would have made for a more formidable pairing. The M11 engine doesn't have the turbo lag that the S50 engines do, as a result the 9400s have more power off the line but the 7000s quickly caught up.

Did anyone happen to get a pic of a 66/6700 and a 7000 together? Kind of ironic that the two series were, for the most part, based out of entirely different divisions and hardly (if at all?) ran on the same routes at the same time. Did the '91 V's have a much easier life than their '96 counterparts?

Thanks for the drivetrain info! It's funny, the Orion Vs seem to have had more drivetrain variety than the GM New Looks, which were either two speeds or three speeds, but all with the same engine (other than some V8 experiment that I heard of).

I assume that the turbo lag on the S50 engines is why some VIIs are called "slowboxes"? I'm in Queensway territory, so I normally get the zippy 7900/8000s.

IIRC Malvern had the 91s for a while during the mid 90s. Can't remember if they got kicked to Bmount the moment the 96s came.

I remember seeing a pic of a 91 and 96 together at Finch Stn in the 90s.

Malvern got the Vs that came from Davenport when it closed at the beginning of 1993. I think they moved to Birchmount as the 96s came into service. The Vs originally assigned to Queensway were swapped to Eglinton for D4090 Flyers. Eventually those Eglinton ones also gradually moved over to Birchmount.

The orginal assignments were 6640-79 Birchmount, 6680-6714 Queensway, 6715-6745 Davenport if dusty memory serves correctly.