Aviation in the News

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So as of tomorrow YXD is no longer. The aviation museum had a 737 on site that would not fit within their new property lines so it needed to fly out or risk being chopped up for scrap.

Here is a video of the flight. http://globalnews.ca/video/999777/raw-video-737-flies-from-city-centre-to-villeneuve

Apparently it was retired from the AC fleet in 2005 and has been a staple at the museum since. Amazing they managed to get her airworthy and off to another airport for others to enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across the report of the ex-PWA 737 being removed from Edmonton Municipal. I always thought it was great way back when with PWA doing their airbus service and a real airport not on the outskirts of town. Times do change. Visited the aircraft museum when the opportunity came up for me and although I knew some of our northern aviation heritage it brought it all home to me. Really glad to have seen the ex-PWA 737 being moved in its PWA colours. We all owe a lot to a handful of early northern aviators who went on to create what later became Wardair, CP Air, PWA. If Ottawa (the nation's capital) had been in Alberta there never would have been a need for a publicly (government owned) airline in Canada as those western aviation pioneers (Grant and Max) would have been able to do what they wanted to do without government restrictions being placed on them. Thanks for the opportunity to view the video. It would have been quite the honour for whoever formed the flight crew. Thumbs UP to those involved in the move at all levels.

Just came across the report of the ex-PWA 737 being removed from Edmonton Municipal. I always thought it was great way back when with PWA doing their airbus service and a real airport not on the outskirts of town. Times do change. Visited the aircraft museum when the opportunity came up for me and although I knew some of our northern aviation heritage it brought it all home to me. Really glad to have seen the ex-PWA 737 being moved in its PWA colours. We all owe a lot to a handful of early northern aviators who went on to create what later became Wardair, CP Air, PWA. If Ottawa (the nation's capital) had been in Alberta there never would have been a need for a publicly (government owned) airline in Canada as those western aviation pioneers (Grant and Max) would have been able to do what they wanted to do without government restrictions being placed on them. Thanks for the opportunity to view the video. It would have been quite the honour for whoever formed the flight crew. Thumbs UP to those involved in the move at all levels.

Well said. I agree completely.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Qantas has retired its second last Boeing 747-400. Boeing 747-400ER VH-OEE flew as flight QF6001 from SYD-LAX yesterday, June 16th.

Today, June 17th, VH-OEE flew as flight QF6001 from Los Angeles (LAX) to the Mojave Air and Space Port (MHV). 

VH-OEE was the first 747-400ER built, and was used as a testbed for Boeing (reg: N747ER). N747ER was later refurbished, repainted for Qantas, then handed over to Qantas as VH-OEE.

Qantas' last Boeing 747 in their fleet, Boeing 747-400ER VH-OEJ, will follow VH-OEE to retirement soon.

See the tweet below from yesterday, June 16th.

• Sad 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, John Oke said:

LEVEL, IAG’s low cost subsidiary is gone, they’ve filed for bankruptcy and have ceased trading

Sadly, another casualty of COVID-19.

LEVEL Europe had six Airbus short-haul jets in its fleet: 2 Airbus A320s and 4 Airbus A321s.

IAG also operates a long-haul airline called LEVEL, which is separate from LEVEL Europe and is not affected by the bankruptcy of LEVEL Europe.

The article about LEVEL Europe filing for bankruptcy, that is referenced in the tweet below (from June 18th), can be found here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-level-eur/iag-airline-level-europe-files-for-insolvency-idUSKBN23P1OJ

-----------------------------

Forgot to post this last week, but the last street convoy of Airbus A380 fuselage sections made its way through rural southwestern France, en route to the Toulouse Final Assembly Building last Wednesday night (June 17th). The fuselage sections will become the very last A380 to be built.

See the tweet below from June 18th.

The article about the last A380 convoy that is referenced in the tweet below can be found here: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-airbus-a380/last-a380-convoy-in-french-village-spells-end-of-an-aviation-era-idUKKBN23P07O

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, OC Transpo Route 95 said:

Qantas has retired its second last Boeing 747-400. Boeing 747-400ER VH-OEE flew as flight QF6001 from SYD-LAX yesterday, June 16th.

Today, June 17th, VH-OEE flew as flight QF6001 from Los Angeles (LAX) to the Mojave Air and Space Port (MHV). 

VH-OEE was the first 747-400ER built, and was used as a testbed for Boeing (reg: N747ER). N747ER was later refurbished, repainted for Qantas, then handed over to Qantas as VH-OEE.

Qantas' last Boeing 747 in their fleet, Boeing 747-400ER VH-OEJ, will follow VH-OEE to retirement soon.

Qantas has retired its last Boeing 747. Boeing 747-400ER VH-OEJ flew as flight QF7474 from SYD-LAX on July 22nd.

Today, July 24th, VH-OEJ flew as flight QF7474 from Los Angeles (LAX) to the Mojave Air and Space Port (MHV). 

More information on Qantas' last Boeing 747, as well as some interesting facts and history regarding Qantas' fleet of Boeing 747s, is available here:

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-farewells-queen-of-the-skies/

Saying Farewell to the Queen of the Skies:

Qantas bid farewell to its last remaining Boeing 747 with three special farewell flights.

The airline operated three special ‘Farewell Jumbo Joy Flights’ on July 13, 15, and 17; with its last remaining Boeing 747; VH-OEJ.

• The first farewell flight occurred on July 13 in Sydney (SYD). The flight was QF747 from SYD-SYD.
  • The second farewell flight occurred on July 15 in Brisbane (BNE). The flight was QF747 from BNE-BNE.
  • The third farewell flight occurred on July 17 in Canberra (CBR). The flight was QF747 from CBR-CBR.

Each flight lasted approximately one hour, and gave customers and employees a final chance to fly on a Qantas Boeing 747.

Customers were able to purchase a seat on board one of the farewell flights. The number of seats available for purchase were limited, in order to maximize passenger comfort.

All proceeds/profits from the three farewell flights were donated to two aviation museums in Australia, to support their efforts to preserve/promote the Boeing 747 legacy for future generations.

Qantas also hosted a hangar farewell event for employees, prior to VH-OEJ's final departure from SYD on July 22nd.

Here is the press release from Qantas regarding the ‘Farewell Jumbo Joy Flights’:

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-to-give-final-747-jumbo-jet-a-farewell-fit-for-a-queen/

The Final Departure:

After completing the three ‘Farewell Jumbo Joy Flights’, VH-OEJ departed Sydney (SYD) for the final time as flight QF7474 on July 22nd, bringing an end to nearly 50 years of Boeing 747's in Qantas' fleet.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Toronto's Pearson International Airport is laying off airport screening staff due to reduction in travel volume. Noting that Pearson is the highest volume airport in all of Canada dealing with a lot of travel.

Hopefully they have a plan to bring those screening officers back when travel volume rebounds. I always leave a few hours early before departure time to ensure that I have time to process through screening. You never know if they will be short staff or a high amount of travel volume at the airport. 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/01/19/gardaworld-lays-off-500-screening-officers-at-pearson-airport/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...