Calgary Transit - Two Tone Blue Fishbowls

BCT-3122-D800-10240

7 hours ago, Nick B said:

Hi all,

Bumping this thread to let everyone know that a 2021 fantrip with our preserved #1046 is being tentatively planned for the weekend of March 19-21, 2021. Unlike past charters in Calgary, this will be a half day/night charter, most likely beginning at 5 PM local time and ending at 11 PM, allowing for some interesting photo ops.

We've verified with CT that the bus is available for chartering and we have a gameplan in mind for if the pandemic is still a major issue by then. The thing that we will need right now however is some feedback from everyone on whether to plan the charter for the Friday (March 19) or the Saturday (March 20).

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts! Route suggestions are welcome too. I'll post a dedicated thread with more info along with a more formal announcement as we get closer to the date.

I would prefer it be a Saturday. On a different train of thought - how come these charters are always planned for March? I feel like it'd be much nicer to have one in May or June when the Calgary scenery looks much more appealing, roads are cleaner, and the weather is much warmer. Just my opinion. 

12 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

I would prefer it be a Saturday. On a different train of thought - how come these charters are always planned for March? I feel like it'd be much nicer to have one in May or June when the Calgary scenery looks much more appealing, roads are cleaner, and the weather is much warmer. Just my opinion. 

We did consider planning it in May, but it would have been less reasonable to have a night charter at that time of year since it gets dark much later. Sunset for our planned day in March will be at 7:50 PM which will be perfect for planning since it'll be exactly halfway through the charter (i.e. during the lunch stop). In May, sunset will be well over an hour later. We could plan the charter in May but it would have to run until midnight or well past if we want night shots of 1046. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, Nick B said:

We did consider planning it in May, but it would have been less reasonable to have a night charter at that time of year since it gets dark much later. Sunset for our planned day in March will be at 7:50 PM which will be perfect for planning since it'll be exactly halfway through the charter (i.e. during the lunch stop). In May, sunset will be well over an hour later. We could plan the charter in May but it would have to run until midnight or well past if we want night shots of 1046. 

That would be just after the shift to Daylight Saving time, and the vernal (spring) equinox which marks the start of spring. The latter is Saturday, March 21, 2021 at 5:37 AM Mountain Time.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I had this thought. While I'm glad Calgary Transit kept 1046, but did they ever consider keeping a different fishbowl (one in the later white livery) and repainting it into the two-tone blue?

25 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I had this thought. While I'm glad Calgary Transit kept 1046, but did they ever consider keeping a different fishbowl (one in the later white livery) and repainting it into the two-tone blue?

Which three stripe bus did you have in mind specifically?

8 minutes ago, Nick B said:

None in particular, but wondered if any of the three strip fishbowls were in better condition?

16 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

None in particular, but wondered if any of the three strip fishbowls were in better condition?

Some were, but many weren't. Though the main reason #1046 was preserved initially was because of its livery. An operator well known to us enthusiasts who is also a member of this board played a major role in making it happen for us back then which it probably wouldn't have otherwise.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, Nick B said:

Maybe 1156, which did the honors for the New Look Farewell tour September 14, 2013. Is that one still around?

• 1 month later...

For those who don't have access to the Western Transport FB group and haven't seen the various great content from everyone yet, our charter this past weekend was an incredible success and I had a ton of fun organizing and being on it! Thanks again to everyone who attended and got involved in making everything happen. I have just uploaded my videos from the fantrip to my YouTube today:

And some photo stop highlights. However I was only on for the first two thirds of the fantrip. Maybe someone else can throw in their own photos from later stops.

78 Ave:

51409538221_a52432a326_m.jpg1046/8271 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr

Stoney Facility:

51408789137_480f77d294_m.jpg8385/1046 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr

Edgebrook Rise:

51410295499_b6962def54_m.jpg1046 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr

Ranchlands Bus Trap:

51408789712_af264cc8bd_m.jpg1046 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr

Bow Trail:

51409539526_3d9feb75b5_m.jpg1046 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr

Fish Creek Station:

51408790912_1d3064e0bf_m.jpg1046 by Nick Blonski, on Flickr