Skytrain MK I Refurbishments

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2017 at 11:20 PM, Citaro said:

109 and 110 are in for refurbishment. The former was seen earlier today on a trailer at OMC-2 (or whatever you call it), stripped of its doors and still in its original livery.

Spotted on monday refurbed at Royal Oak 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

117-118 spotted refurbished at OMC today, and the Mark 1 Refurbishment Project is complete.

For now. The 1991/1995 expansion orders will get their turn in another couple years, unless TransLink decides to retire them on schedule rather than extending their lifespan.

For now. The 1991/1995 expansion orders will get their turn in another couple years, unless TransLink decides to retire them on schedule rather than extending their lifespan.

The plan was only to refurbish the original 114; the 36 others will be kept in their original condition. No doubt about it.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/01/translink-to-refurbish-skytrain-cars/

The plan was only to refurbish the original 114; the 36 others will be kept in their original condition. No doubt about it.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/01/translink-to-refurbish-skytrain-cars/

Just because this project was only for the original order doesn't mean there won't be another refurb project for the younger cars in a couple of years.  Indeed, the successful completion of this project makes it more likely that the remaining Mark I's will be given a refurb for life expansion rather than being retired.  

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Stormscape said:

Another interesting takeaway is they plan to keep them in service for another 30 years! Based on 2020, the last of them won't be retired until 2050.

In the article, they give a current planned retirement date of 2026, which is still 40 years. But they also seem to say that the rebuilt mechanical systems would be good for another decade after that, possibly longer? How would the frames hold up once these cars pass 40?

10 hours ago, Stormscape said:

Another interesting takeaway is they plan to keep them in service for another 30 years! Based on 2020, the last of them won't be retired until 2050.

60+ years of continuous service? Sounds like a good target to try...but of course, they shouldn't use it as the mainstay of the fleet - rush hour service at most, maybe as a historic train comparable to century-old subway cars from Argentina.

14 hours ago, Express691 said:

Apparently we duped ourselves???

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2017/07/behind-the-scenes-a-look-into-the-remake-of-a-mark-i-skytrain/

According to this post, trains are repainted but not necessarily refurbished. >.>

That being said, 051-052 spotted with white interior panels near the doors this evening at Metrotown.

I think that the amount of refurbishment that is done is based on assessment. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The reason is that I know in the past we have seen a picture of a Mark I looking almost entirely disassembled on the inside. So we do know that some of the cars definitely went through a more thorough refurbishment.

7 hours ago, Stormscape said:

I think what will end up happening is some Mark Is will be retired but the majority will be kept for rush hour service only, with the newer Mark IIs and IIIs becoming the offpeak trains.

If things shift and we get more SkyTrain expansion throughout the region (i.e. out to UBC, out to Langley, and out to Poco) I think that will serve as some impetus to keep the Mk I cars even longer and further their lifespan while saving some cash as well. If allocation per-branch is possible, I would put the Mk Is on rush hour trains that service the Production Way branch. Then when they head out of service for the mid-day, Mark II/III trains take over.

Makes you wonder what the SkyTrain network will look like in 30 years too. Current rate seems to be an expansion every 7-8 years. Expo Line Extension opened in 1994, Millennium Line opened in 2002, Canada Line opened in 2009, Evergreen Line opened in 2016. At this current rate, 4 more extensions would open by 2050. My guess? Broadway, Langley, Port Coquitlam. Not sure on what the 4th could be though.

2 hours ago, Stormscape said:

Makes you wonder what the SkyTrain network will look like in 30 years too. Current rate seems to be an expansion every 7-8 years. Expo Line Extension opened in 1994, Millennium Line opened in 2002, Canada Line opened in 2009, Evergreen Line opened in 2016. At this current rate, 4 more extensions would open by 2050. My guess? Broadway, Langley, Port Coquitlam. Not sure on what the 4th could be though.

We may want to move this to a different thread if it goes too long off topic. 

I would say there would be no more extensions beyond that, only new lines after those. Extending it would become too unweildly and inefficient to integrate into the current lines. 

I feel that rapid transit projects need to accelerated to 2-4 every decade (as the net decade should be with the Broadway extension and 2 Surrey lines), but I know it's not terribly likely. In addition to what you listed, the most likely rapid transit lines within 30 years  (in roughly chronological order) would be:

Burnaby Mountain gondola

Burrard Inlet crossing (I would prefer a 3S gondola similar to Burnaby mountain, but it may end up being a vastly more expensive rail tunnel that would be pushed back in the list)

Scott Rd (likely LRT to share OMC with the other Surrey LRT)

King George LRT extension to White Rock

Park Royal-Phibbs

41st Ave 

Scott Rd-Abbotsford/Chilliwack tram (it would mainly be dependant on the province, not so much Translink)

Hastings

3 minutes ago, maege said:

Scott Rd-72nd (likely LRT to share OMC with the other Surrey LRT)

King George LRT extension to White Rock

Eh, but the original Surrey LRT plans are still being debated. We don't know what they will go for. A lot of the TransLink staff keep calling it "Rapid Transit" instead of LRT.

2 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Eh, but the original Surrey LRT plans are still being debated. We don't know what they will go for. A lot of the TransLink staff keep calling it "Rapid Transit" instead of LRT.

I am specifically referring to the "L" line, and LRT for that is not being debated within Translink, the Mayor's Council, or the province/federal governments. You may be debating it, but within the organizations that will actually have an impact, it will be LRT, there's no debate.  Within 12-18 months, construction will begin on the "L" line and there won't be any going back at that point. There will be an OMC for the "L" line so it would make sense for Scott Rd to use that as well. And on Scott rd, there is copious amount of road space to implement LRT. 

Note that I did not include the Langley line due to a slightly longer time-frame (therefore somewhat higher possibility of technology changing).

Also, your argument for there being debate is based on some people using an over-arching term that includes LRT? That's a terribly weak argument. 

https://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Projects/Rapid-Transit-Projects/Surrey-Newton-Guildford-LRT.aspx

Edit:

Let's move replies to one of these more appropriate threads:

2 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Based on the info and conversations with people at the open house, LRT is whay will be built, that part is a done deal.  All that's left is to get the remaining funding needed to build it.  That and finilizing the layout and getting the contracts done for construction once the complete funding is in place.

And what maege mentioned.  Was typing my reply at the same time it seems.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, Stormscape said:

Broadway, Langley, Hastings, Poco and Steveston or Park Royal I'd guess

• 7 months later...

Hi all! 

Wasn't sure where to stick this so I thought it would be best to put it here.. I think..

I was looking for some information on the BC1 Skytrain car. I've been killing some time on the net today and noticed some pictures of BC1... it drew my attention to it because it looks a little different than the rest of the cars. I can't find much information about it except for it may have been retired in the 90s sometime.

To my understanding it was a test car,  I'm not sure if it ever ran in revenue service with the rest of the MK1 fleet or on its whereabouts today.

If anybody can point me into the right direction with some more information about this car that would be great!

Thanks everyone!