Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

MAX BRT

So I am watching the Avengers movie(2012) and the Germany scene having been filmed in Cleveland, came across a bus that looked familiar and I am thinking there is no way its what I think it is considering they have German flavored police cars, Paused the scene where the German police car is upside down and sure enough its a GCRTA NABI. I recall one of the Spiderman movies being filmed in Cleveland and they had MTA decaled buses so This was a nice surprise.

20190514_010853 (Medium).jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1003 1M8SDMRA11P053817

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1002 1M8SDMRAX1P053816

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1006 1M8SDMRA11P053820

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1007 1M8SDMRA31P053821

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1016 1M8SDMRA41P053830

GovDeals 2001 MCI Transit Bus fleet 1020 1M8SDMRA11P053834

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cleveland is going through a railcar replacement program. The project will replace the 40 heavy rail cars and 34 light rail cars.

An RFP was issued on 2/22/21 for a base order of 18 heavy rail cars with an option to purchase up to 60 cars. GCRTA says that they need 24 for Red Line operations. Interestingly, the RFP description suggests that the new car will be able to serve both the light rail and heavy rail lines.

RFP description: GCRTA intends to procure new high floor light rail vehicles, capable of servicing nominal 42-inch high platforms and nominal 3.5 inch to 16-inch low platforms, for use on all parts of the GCRTA system, as described in the Request for Proposal (RFP).

http://www.riderta.com/majorprojects/railcarreplacement

http://www.procurement.riderta.com/detail/?listingid=2099

Here's a short presentation from last August about the railcar replacement:

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default/files/events/2020-08-11RailCarReplacementUpdate.pdf

In bus news, GCRTA is ordering 20 CNG Gilligs:

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default/files/events/2021-03-02CNGcoaches.pdf

Also ordering 7 New Flyer 60' BRT buses:

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default/files/events/2020-08-11RTA60FtArticulatedCoaches.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Cleveland is going through a railcar replacement program. The project will replace the 40 heavy rail cars and 34 light rail cars.

An RFP was issued on 2/22/21 for a base order of 18 heavy rail cars with an option to purchase up to 60 cars. GCRTA says that they need 24 for Red Line operations. Interestingly, the RFP description suggests that the new car will be able to serve both the light rail and heavy rail lines

It's a little confusing. They definitely, for sure, considered having one fleet for all lines. But this other page suggests they will be separate:

http://www.riderta.com/pillarstudies#railcar

Project Description
GCRTA’s 33 mile rail network is a $3-4 billion infrastructure asset to the community.  GCRTA’s Rail Car Replacement Program is a $240 million program, consisting of replacing 40 Tokyu heavy rail vehicles (HRVs) with 34 HRVs, and replacing 34 Breda light rail vehicles (LRVs) with 24 LRVs, associated infrastructure upgrades to the rail maintenance facility, equipment and stations to accommodate the new rail vehicles, and design, inspection, testing, and force account costs.  GCRTA’s current HRV fleet is 34 years old and the LRV fleet is 37 years old, with both fleets exceeding their design lives.

GCRTA contracted with LTK Engineering Services for a Rail Car Evaluation.  The study concluded the current HRVs have approximately five years of remaining useful life and the LRVs have approximately ten years of remaining useful life.  LTK recommends GCRTA begin procuring HRVs by 2020 for delivery no later than 2023, followed by procuring LRVs by 2025, for delivery no later than 2028.  The LTK report, completed on January 25, 2019, provides detail and justification for replacing both sets of rail cars.

Project Funding
GCRTA is proposing a multi-year potential funding program with 50% federal, 25% state, and 25% local sources.  In anticipation of the need to replace the rail cars, GCRTA placed $23.3 million in a Rolling Stock Reserve Fund, and plans on adding approximately $5 million per year to the fund for use as local match towards grants for a total of $36 million.  GCRTA has also committed $22.9 million of FTA Section 5307 and 5337 formula grant funds for FFY 2020-24 in our 5-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and will commit another $25.1 million of Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2025-29 formula funds towards the HRV and LRV replacements.

On July 15, 2019, GCRTA submitted a Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) grant requesting $25 million for the HRV replacements.

On September 13, 2019, NOACA awarded GCRTA $9.6 million of Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG) funds for State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2021-24 and has recommended another $14.4 million of STBG funds for SFY 2025-30.

On September 25, 2019, ODOT Transportation Review Advisory Council (TRAC) determined that our request for $60 million was not eligible for their funding program.  However, on October 25, 2019 ODOT awarded GCRTA $5 million of Ohio Transit Partnership Program (OTPP) funds for SFY 2020 for the HRV replacements and we anticipate a similar award for SFY 2021.

To date we have been awarded $60.8 million with another $57.2 million committed for a total of $118.0 million of the $240.0 million program. 

Or maybe it's the other way around. They considered two separate fleets, but now it will be just one car?...

Yeah I am not sure. It is confusing to say the least. I believe the outcome was that two fleets wouldn't require any modifications to the platforms, but that a single fleet would save money. If it does turn out to be a single fleet, I would imagine it will be similar to the Muni Metro vehicle with the retractable stairs.

Retractable stairs will still require some sort of wheelchair accommodation. Dallas adapted a low floor center section, but what happens when someone enters at a low floor station and then has to exit at a high floor platform?

It will be interesting to see what the manufacturers may come up with.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, Tcmetro said:

Interesting that in the Gillig file they state current customers of Gillig are...

I did not know that WMATA and New York currently had Gillig CNG's. I will have to look at the Wiki for Vegas, I didn't think they had any either.

Screenshot (31).png

3 hours ago, edison said:

Interesting that in the Gillig file they state current customers of Gillig are...

I did not know that WMATA and New York currently had Gillig CNG's. I will have to look at the Wiki for Vegas, I didn't think they had any either.

Hmmm, they have supplied buses to Suffolk County, and they will actually deliver buses to Nassau County. It's not the MTA, but technically it is New York and technically it is transit. As for WMATA, they delivered 20 buses, all in the late 1980s.

BUT they put the same customers down in the New Flyer powerpoint, and those make more sense (MTA, WMATA, SD, LV, and MN all have XD60s) so someone forgot to change the slide.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

. As for WMATA, they delivered 20 buses, all in the late 1980s.

BUT they put the same customers down in the New Flyer powerpoint, and those make more sense (MTA, WMATA, SD, LV, and MN all have XD60s) so someone forgot to change the slide.

I wouldn't consider 1980 a current customer. But definitely a reuse of the New Flyer slide.

• 8 months later...

Spotted this new  HealthLine coach downtown on my way to work one day. It looks like a New Flyer XN60. This coach number was 6003, i have also seen 6004. Not sure how many were purchased, but they are not in service yet, I hope these have the exterior bell like the DE60LFAs!

20211029_091130.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I'm fairly sure the DE60LFAs are retired - on a recent trip to Cleveland they were running all XN60s on the HealthLine and I haven't seen any DE60LFAs on TransSee checking a few times over the past couple weeks.

NABIs are still running in full force - seemingly only a couple '05s at a time but there are usually quite a few '06es out there.

31 minutes ago, dtwtransit said:

I'm fairly sure the DE60LFAs are retired - on a recent trip to Cleveland they were running all XN60s on the HealthLine and I haven't seen any DE60LFAs on TransSee checking a few times over the past couple weeks.

NABIs are still running in full force - seemingly only a couple '05s at a time but there are usually quite a few '06es out there.

What year are the LFAs from?