Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

MAX BRT

Cleveland could soon expand the fleet of extra-long buses zipping along its streets.

The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority is expected to vote in two weeks on whether to award a $16.3 million contract to New Flyer of America for 23 "articulated low floor coaches" -- 60-foot buses with accordian-like connectors in the middle.

An RTA committee recommended the purchase Tuesday. The special buses are cost effective along busy routes because they carry more passengers. They are one of the main components of the HealthLine on Euclid Ave.

RTA also uses articulated buses on Lorain Ave. (#22) and Detroit Ave. (#26). Five of the new 60-footers would be used on those routes. Another 18 are slated for the transit improvement project about to get underway on Clifton Blvd. in Lakewood and Cleveland.

Source: http://www.cleveland...s_to_lease.html

Don't miss the first link as it includes photos of bus 3017! (appears to be a D60LFR)

Great find. I've been wondering when GCRTA would add to their fleet. I'm guessing those will be Xcelsior units, so if that is correct they will have three styles of NFI artic.

Also of interest:

2014 Capital Bus Program

␣ (34) (40 ft.) Coaches with option up to 240 over next 5 years

␣ Strategy for Articulated – Bid or - Investigate Option availability.

I wonder who will get, or who has won, that order? If they really like their 60' units from NFI then Xcelsior units would be likely if the price is good. However GCRTA also operates LFS, some of which may still be the 1999 units, and a ton of cheaply built NABI LFW. So IMO Gillig, NABI, Nova and maybe even ElDoroado all stand a chance as well if they are looking for a low price.

Great find. I've been wondering when GCRTA would add to their fleet. I'm guessing those will be Xcelsior units, so if that is correct they will have three styles of NFI artic.

Also of interest:

I wonder who will get, or who has won, that order? If they really like their 60' units from NFI then Xcelsior units would be likely if the price is good. However GCRTA also operates LFS, some of which may still be the 1999 units, and a ton of cheaply built NABI LFW. So IMO Gillig, NABI, Nova and maybe even ElDoroado all stand a chance as well if they are looking for a low price.

Would be cool to see another TA buy the latest NABI LFW. There are so few.

Here are some of my photos of the vehicles used by GCRTA:

8705152679_3de2983bbc.jpg

Cleveland RTA New Flyer Articulated Bus #3005 by Seluryar, on Flickr

8706275856_f2d2900af3.jpg

Cleveland RTA Optima Trolley #2701 by Seluryar, on Flickr

8749730376_effe3b6a7f.jpg

Cleveland RTA NABI Bus #2223 by Seluryar, on Flickr

and here are some of my older photos of GCRTA:

5901870867_cc15ab434f.jpg

Flxible Metro by Seluryar, on Flickr

5901870719_aa9a51956a.jpg

Novabus LFS by Seluryar, on Flickr

2341158595_62305d0f67.jpg

SLF-200 by Seluryar, on Flickr

2346258882_6344332299.jpg

100_1665 (Large) by Seluryar, on Flickr

5902432288_8a69fa86ce.jpg

Flxible Metro by Seluryar, on Flickr

5902432072_b88caf7004.jpg

Flxible Metro Suburban by Seluryar, on Flickr

5901871157_f15fce48c9.jpg

Novabus RTS Suburban by Seluryar, on Flickr

12333260_10ebf9932b.jpg

GCRTA MCI D4000 by Seluryar, on Flickr

12332472_310a920560.jpg

Orion II by Seluryar, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like Cleveland is due to get its 2nd BRT line. It sounds like the real deal--with bus-only lanes. Its supposed to be ready by November 2014. I wonder if the buses will be artics?

http://www.metro-magazine.com/news/story/2013/09/cleveland-rta-break-ground-on-brt-line.aspx

The U.S. Department of Transportation is providing roughly $16.3 million toward the $20 million West Shore Express BRT line, including $8.5 million for the purchase of 15 new buses manufactured by New Flyer Industries.

The West Shore Express BRT line along Clifton Boulevard will provide fast, efficient transit service along a four-mile corridor between Westgate Transit Center in Fairview Park and the federally-funded Stephanie Tubbs Jones Transit Center downtown, with buses traveling in bus-only curb lanes during peak commuting hours; traffic signal priority to improve on-time bus service; and 19 new, lighted bus shelters with improved passenger amenities, including real-time GPS-based bus arrival monitors.

Looks like Cleveland is due to get its 2nd BRT line. It sounds like the real deal--with bus-only lanes. Its supposed to be ready by November 2014. I wonder if the buses will be artics?

... with buses traveling in bus-only curb lanes during peak commuting hours; traffic signal priority to improve on-time bus service; and 19 new, lighted bus shelters with improved passenger amenities, including real-time GPS-based bus arrival monitors.

Sounds like BRT lite to me, they aren't mentioning dedicated ROW. I'm guessing those BOC lanes will contain parking during the off-peak. Or maybe it will be like the Healthline with dedicated bus lanes as they get closer to the downtown.

Of interest though is that they mention NFI specifically, that makes me think the incoming 40' units during the next replacement cycle have a pretty good chance of also being Xcelsior.

Sounds like BRT lite to me, they aren't mentioning dedicated ROW. I'm guessing those BOC lanes will contain parking during the off-peak. Or maybe it will be like the Healthline with dedicated bus lanes as they get closer to the downtown.

You got me wondering about what it would take to make this situation dedicated right of way?

I found this resource, which is helpful.

http://www.itdp.org/microsites/the-brt-standard-2013/brt-basics/dedicated-right-of-way/

I should have just looked at the GCRTA site in the first place :P

http://www.riderta.c...ommute-downtown

New West Shore Express speeds West Side commute downtown

Aug 21, 2013

CLEVELAND -- The Board of Trustees of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) selected Perk Company Inc. as the prime contractor for the $20 million Clifton Boulevard Transportation Enhancement Project, which includes the purchase of 16 new 60-foot articulated buses for this service.

A ground-breaking ceremony will be held at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 13.

A first-class experience

The new 'West Shore Express' will:

• Replace the 55 and 55F bus routes.
  • Provide more capacity.
  • Deliver a faster trip and
  • Provide a more first-class experience throughout the four-mile corridor of Clifton Boulevard in Cleveland and Lakewood.
  • More efficiently link Lakewood, Bay Village, Rocky River and Westlake to downtown.

Every 10 minutes during rush hour

The West Shore Express service along Clifton Boulevard. will operate every 10 minutes during rush hours with dedicated bus lanes. Through bus stop consolidation, as well as adjusting traffic signals and patterns, the commute for RTA customers will be quicker, in addition to making it a smoother commute for other motorists.

Stations will be constructed with real-time travel information through NextConnect, and have emergency call boxes.

The rules for parking along Clifton Boulevard will remain the same, as the dedicated bus lanes will only be used during morning and afternoon rush hours, when parking is not currently allowed.

Project funding, timing and additional details are posted online for what previously was called the Clifton Bouevard Transporation Enhancement Project.

Looking at Google it appears that part of this runs in a residential area on a seven lane road, 3 each direction with a center turn lane. It also sounds like it was the magazine using the BRT term, GCRTA seems to be billing it as more of an enhanced express service. Very interesting to see nontheless.

Would it be fair to call the lanes dedicated ROW during peak hours?

Also, its interesting that we already read about new buses for Clifton Ave project when we chatted about new artics for Cleveland in this thread last month :unsure: But the number has changed. The link from RTA said 18 NFI artics would be purchased for Clifton but this weeks articles say 15 and 16 respectively.

Also of interest:

Seems like many transit agencies with their recent orders mostly gone with Xcelsior Models since it delivers significant benefits with its innovative technologies. The LFR is still available according to New Flyer's page.

So who knows what model it would be when those articulated buses will be delivered.

Would it be fair to call the lanes dedicated ROW during peak hours?

Depends - since we are discussing a curb lanes, how will other vehicles make right-hand turns? In some cities with BRT, those vehicles are allowed to access the 'transit' lane at intersections for purposes of making such turns.

Depends - since we are discussing a curb lanes, how will other vehicles make right-hand turns? In some cities with BRT, those vehicles are allowed to access the 'transit' lane at intersections for purposes of making such turns.

I see. Thanks for helping me understand this dedicated lane complexity. . .

Well for efficiency and practicality (not to mention sex appeal :P ), I value buses more than individual cars. So I hope those little buggers will not be in the bus only lanes in this case--or any case.

• 1 month later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillig_Corporation' rel="external nofollow">

for the manufacture and delivery of up to two hundred forty (240) 40 foot CNG coaches, training, special tools and spare parts over the five (5)- year term of the contract, in an amount not to exceed $28,951,898.00 for the first sixty (60) coaches to be delivered in 2015 (RTA Development Fund, current and future funding, Fleet Management Department budget)

everyone seems to be getting the New flyers latley

Yeah it feels like by 2020 every single freaking heavy-duty transit bus in the US will be either an Xcelsior or a Gillig (LF or BRT), with just a smattering of Novas and NABIs to keep us bus geeks from going loony :P

Yeah it feels like by 2020 every single freaking heavy-duty transit bus in the US will be either an Xcelsior or a Gillig (LF or BRT), with just a smattering of Novas and NABIs to keep us bus geeks from going loony :P

Nova is winning some decent-sized orders - they are the primary bus in Quebec, they have grown business in the other Canadian provinces in recent years, and they took two major orders in the past year from big New Flyer cities (300 buses for CTA with an option for 150 more, 245 buses for SEPTA). I think Nova will be New Flyer's primary competition for large-city orders going forward.

Nova is winning some decent-sized orders - they are the primary bus in Quebec, they have grown business in the other Canadian provinces in recent years, and they took two major orders in the past year from big New Flyer cities (300 buses for CTA with an option for 150 more, 245 buses for SEPTA). I think Nova will be New Flyer's primary competition for large-city orders going forward.

I agree about Nova but want to add that Gillig is winning a lot of what I consider to be large-city orders: Cleveland, Minneapolis, Denver, San Diego, and Portland are cases in point.

Maybe you are differentiating between the very largest metro areas, say the top 15 (Chicago, New York, LA, Philly, Dallas, Houston, DC, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Phoenix, Detroit, Seattle. . .) and the rest?