CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! It is unavailable to edit while we sort out character encoding issues for our French pages. Please report any other issues here.

PCC Guy

You know you're a transitfan when...

-When everyone but you hates rush hour.

-When you abandon the family Christmas party to go photograph buses.

-When you go to McDonalds and accidently ask for "extra Orion" on your burger.

• Like 3

When you see a bus off route and chase to get it, but miss it and sprinted for nothing.

• Like 2

You know you're a transit fan when you take on your little mini-project by creating an edited video of the OC Transpo Mighty Machines episode with all the TTC and GO Train segments cut out! Had to convert it to a download link, exported it to iMovie, trimmed it to get rid of what I did not want, then later exported it to my photos app.

It's much better having it already cut out rather than having to skip past the unwanted segments every time I watch it.

When you can't comprehend some of OC Transpo (or insert local transit system here)'s decisions.

Such as going for hybrids instead of either diesel NGs or lift equipped Orion Vs...

Edit: Here's another one. You know you're a transit fan when you're jealous that your younger brother (and his class) in elementary school gets to take a OC Transpo bus to a school field trip whereas you were stuck with taking the school bus to every field trip when you were in elementary school...

My brother's field trip was also coincidentally used by the teachers as a way to learn how to navigate public transit as some of his classmates have not taken buses ever. I wish I had a field trip like that. I would have greatly enjoyed it...

This is a bit old (August 2017), but here it goes.

On the last day of my Euro trip when I was going to fly back to Toronto from Budapest, my tour guide suggested it's best to split cab fare with 3-4 other people from the group since most people were going to the airport anyway, but I knew very well that I'll be taking the subway - specifically line 3 which had all the Russian subways (Ev-3, 81-717 and the new 81-717.2K which now dominates the line).

You know you're a transitfan have officially lost the plot when you attend the Raptors Victory Parade, despite all the overcrowding it poses, to photograph transit stuff.

Today I walked around 8 km along the perimeter of downtown, photoing streetcars on diversion and events support buses where I could spot them. The GO Train into the city was rammed, the city was rammed, and the GO Train out of the city was rammed. It was worth it, though - have some lovely photos, and the energy in the city was electric. Haven't felt this good about being in Toronto in a very long time.

10/10 would not recommend.

• Haha 1

You know you're a transit fan when you find yourself stranded after riding a bunch of Classics and C40s, as they don't leave for a few more hours.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:18 PM, GrandeWest_B35G said:

You know you're a transit fan when you find yourself stranded after riding a bunch of Classics and C40s, as they don't leave for a few more hours.

That's why I only ride routes I'm familiar with even if they don't have the most exciting buses. I mainly stick to riding only a few select routes and hoping that a new or rare bus model shows up on one of my common routes.

14 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

That's why I only ride routes I'm familiar with even if they don't have the most exciting buses. I mainly stick to riding only a few select routes and hoping that a new or rare bus model shows up on one of my common routes.

I thought I was familiar with it though. It was a 10 minute route basically between two exits, and the website said it was a continuous run.

1 minute ago, GrandeWest_B35G said:

I thought I was familiar with it though. It was a 10 minute route basically between two exits, and the website said it was a continuous run.

Did you ever ride the route before looking at the website?

I started out riding the same route every day to school, then started by riding different routes (that I've ridden before and knew) that still were guaranteed to get me to school and home but were nice changes from the route I got bored of. I do this even to this day. 

I don't usually take a risk with new routes I've never ridden before because I'm still a teenager and my parents will freak out and worry for my safety if they knew I could get lost.

5 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Did you ever ride the route before looking at the website?

No. The route is kind of special as it only runs a few times a year, and it has such old buses.

@Blake M would have, but he was sick that day.

Either way, the 4km walk was worth it, as I got a (possibly last) ride on a Classic, and I can now say I've rode all of the C40s in existence (assuming the MUNI one got scrapped)

On 6/22/2019 at 10:18 PM, GrandeWest_B35G said:

What sort of service was this? Unless this was some kind of historical bus rally out in the sticks it seems unlikely that you'd be very far from the nearest transit service.

That being said, I'm not familiar with Medicine Hat, and I've been in bigger cities with shitty bus service, so YMMV.

12 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

What sort of service was this? Unless this was some kind of historical bus rally out in the sticks it seems unlikely that you'd be very far from the nearest transit service.

That being said, I'm not familiar with Medicine Hat, and I've been in bigger cities with shitty bus service, so YMMV.

This was Red Arrow's Spruce Meadows Shuttle in Calgary. The nearest active transit line is the CTrain 4km away

• Like 3

When you get one bad bus out of the series so you call the rest of the buses bad

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

When you have framed streetcar photographs in your living room and a tasteful display of some models on display on a shelf.

Not framed, but proudly on display...

poster1.JPG

poster2.JPG

4 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Not framed, but proudly on display...

poster1.JPG

poster2.JPG

Those are nice but...has it really been 10 years since ETS killed off the trolleybus system?  Jeez.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Those are nice but...has it really been 10 years since ETS killed off the trolleybus system?  Jeez.

Yes.