GO Transit in the Niagara Region

VIATrain95

Yes, it's already happening. The construction of the James North GO station in Hamilton is part of a rail extension to Niagara. There would also be a station in Stoney Creek, Grimsby, St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.

To be honest I don't see why we can just use the giant GO Transit thread. We tried the same thing for Waterloo Region and it just died out, with the discussion there now going on in the giant thread as well. It makes sense as people looking for info don't have to go to different threads of the same transit system to look for info.

Just sayin'.

It would be nice if there was transit to Niagara On the Lake all year round.

There is. You have to go to the Glendale campus of Niagara College to get it. It's called Niagara-on-the-Lake Transit. They run cutaways and have done for a year now.

Well if you have it started here, then whatever. Here's what's annoying. The ESR recommended four basic options for expansion, from 1 to 4 (see below):

VEzCw0V.png

Option 1 involved the following:

• General corridor improvements
  • Grade separations near stations
  • Station at James Street North
  • Station at Centennial Parkway (named Confederation)
  • Layover at Lewis Road

Only the building of James Street North and rush hour service has been announced. They're ignoring the ESR. Probably a funding issue, it's saving $70-100 million. Yet how many people in Stoney Creek are going to drive to James Street North and clog up the local roads? Why not proceed with fully building out Option 1, making it 2-way all-day, and provide a nice, quick launch point/train-meet for GO buses into and out of Niagara? It's a knuckehead move if you ask me

I swear to god, I'm hoping for a miracle and Wynne is able to pass the Metrolinx Investment Strategy, give them $2 billion a year, and leave building transportation networks to the professionals instead of politicians.

I want option 4 because it is tourist/commuting the others seem to be just more for commuting.

Not going to happen for a long time I think. The Welland Canal Grade Separation is estimated to cost $750 million. That's a lot of dough, and I don't think you'll see enough revenue from those additional Niagara Falls riders to justify it.

I'd encourage you to read the Environmental Study Report, it has a lot of useful information, including the cost estimates.

Your right but they could raise tickets prices, taxes etc. but it would take a while and people wouldn't like it. I'm not sure if you know this at Jordan for a bit it is single track and they are expanding it to double track.

Well they could do 3 because the St. Catharines Station has a go bus stop so they could do direct buses to Niagara Falls. Also a Glendale layover facility would be a good Idea because it is CN Merriton which was a yard so there are tracks for storage.