Blue Bus Fan

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

More east coast:

One of the proposed LRT lines in HSR's system is being downgraded to BRT.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-go-announcement-live-1.3963159

As I mentioned on SSP, it's not a downgrade at all when the new line is a whooping 14km longer than the previous LRT proposal and services an entirely new part of the city. This is the kind of announcement I think many us would like to see with the Surrey L-Line, and now there's another Canadian city doing it.

They're also noting that by going with BRT, service is up and running sooner. It's almost like it jumped the priority list, because the A-Line BRT will all of a sudden be done and running even before the LRT "B-Line" is done and running.

Surrey should follow this decision for the Surrey-Newton-Guildford LRT line.

Instead it can be the White Rock-Newton-Guildford-Coquitlam BRT line with through service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

L-line could start construction in 2018 if Provincal government puts funding towards it:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-federal-budget-2017-vancouver-broadway-subway-surrey-lrt

The key word is IF.

On the actual budget page itself, there is no highlighted mention of LRT in Surrey (compared to how there is one for the Broadway Subway). However this is "based off ridership projections".

Even with tht being said, there is so much more emphasis on Broadway Subway. It begs the question if Surrey LRT is ambitious enough as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

Hopefully SkyTrain is approved?

Yeah - well, the LRT survey results still havent been posted. 

Meanwhile, the main objective right now is to find more info on this announcement. The article suggests vague details however. It mentions "metro vancouver transit" but not about anything specific about Surrey or Broadway.

As much as we're all excited by this, why is Cabinet doing this now? Shouldn't they be in caretaker mode, given that the Legislature will not sit again until after the election? Or are they just taking advantage of the opportunity to make a campaign platform announcement using public funds? (The whole point of the caretaker convention is so that this doesn't happen.)

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

As much as we're all excited by this, why is Cabinet doing this now? Shouldn't they be in caretaker mode, given that the Legislature will not sit again until after the election? Or are they just taking advantage of the opportunity to make a campaign platform announcement using public funds? (The whole point of the caretaker convention is so that this doesn't happen.)

Simply put, it's because its an election year.  Up until this day they have been unwilling to budge from the 33% amount.  But imagine that, they are putting up more funding mostlikely in the hopes to gain more votes.

11 minutes ago, Tidom said:

But imagine that, they are putting up more funding mostlikely in the hopes to gain more votes.

Well, yeah, that's exactly my point. But my point is also that, by convention, during an election campaign the existing Cabinet goes into a sort of "caretaker mode", acting only on matters that for good reason cannot wait until after the election. A major government policy announcement like this violates that convention.

(I know, I know, strictly speaking, the Legislature hasn't dissolved yet. But given that it's risen for the last time before the election, the convention really should apply. And in the context of all the Liberals' other games involving refusal to separate duty to the Crown from partisan politics...)

13 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Well, yeah, that's exactly my point. But my point is also that, by convention, during an election campaign the existing Cabinet goes into a sort of "caretaker mode", acting only on matters that for good reason cannot wait until after the election. A major government policy announcement like this violates that convention.

(I know, I know, strictly speaking, the Legislature hasn't dissolved yet. But given that it's risen for the last time before the election, the convention really should apply. And in the context of all the Liberals' other games involving refusal to separate duty to the Crown from partisan politics...)

Sorry, I understand what you're getting at now.  To which I will agree with that.  I just want this election to be done so we can get to the part where we watch all the cool new stuff get built.

This has been the Liberal's playbook every time. Shower us with tax cuts and new spending in the months leading up to the election ... More money for transit, reducing MSP premiums, $95M for additional ambulances, the list goes on.  Every four years like clockwork.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Orcair said:

Here's the survey: https://www.translinksurvey.ca/S.aspx?s=401&r=KP2LI1Ea3Jc2Kq5s9Kn4jP&so=true&a=490&as=Qn4691J203&fromdetect=1

Their design for the stations seems nice and modern, until you see how they expect people to cross 4 or 6-lane roads to connect from a bus to LRT. Great design... not.

The link is currently reporting that the survey is over.

50 minutes ago, Orcair said:

Here's the survey: https://www.translinksurvey.ca/S.aspx?s=401&r=KP2LI1Ea3Jc2Kq5s9Kn4jP&so=true&a=490&as=Qn4691J203&fromdetect=1

Their design for the stations seems nice and modern, until you see how they expect people to cross 4 or 6-lane roads to connect from a bus to LRT. Great design... not.

There was another survey released in January but apparently results were really vague and did little to mention any opposition

5 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

The link is currently reporting that the survey is over.

4 minutes ago, Express691 said:

There was another survey released in January but apparently results were really vague and did little to mention any opposition

Sorry about that - seems like the link is attached to a specific user. I've attached the Surrey LRT page on Translink's website now, which has a link to the new survey, which is available until July 7, 2017.

59 minutes ago, Orcair said:

Crossing a street with a pedestrian light is pretty standard stuff when it comes to LRT.

6 minutes ago, cprted said:

Crossing a street with a pedestrian light is pretty standard stuff when it comes to LRT.

I know, its just frustrating when we have bus loops that seamlessly blend into SkyTrain stations, such as Bridgeport and then have this second-rate design in Surrey. Not a fault of LRT but of the whole project imo. I would way rather have some sort of BRT where the regular buses can connect with BRT in the centre lane stations somehow, versus this design. Or maybe they could do a mixed-type station in the centre lanes - that would be nice to see and benefit connections. 

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

Translink's new promo video on LRT

Also: sources say Paul Hillsdon has been hired as a planner for South Of Fraser rapid transit

How many features in this video can BRT/Skytrain already accomplish?

This video has honestly made me change my while entire thoughts on light rail,.... it all looks great, Fantastic.NOT, every word that came out of that womans mouth i had a counterpoint for,  the 96B is doing everything that this thing can do already. If this goes to plan. Im moving out of Surrey, i think its total garbage & im going to leave my  favorite comments for Hepner. Seriously, ive had 13 year old kids bring me valid points about what amount of time this thing will travel to and from guildford and newton in, yes, in the same time,  as the 96 already does, aswell as the fact, that it will require a driver, wondwrful.... Nezt, do we even need stations in these areas? No.. i think we need to focus more on the problems we already have enough trouble facing instead of jumping on some huge clusterf*** of nonsense, that nobody seems to really live without. aswell this will take years to implement, causing issues in various forms to traffic , not only to mention extra maintenance and training required for new equipment and vehicles. the ridership will one day become an issue, and which is easy to fix by adding another bus or two to the 96, speaking of rideeship, you could also expand the king george section out to langley, and boom! No need to change anything, as it would.operate off of current rolling stock... Clearly way to hard to give our heads a little shake? Sov Lets just continue to make things harder.

Attractive, affordable, safe, resilient, green, complete, compact, were among some of the words written in that video, I call bull$#it this time. Sorry, i dont base.my decision on Attractive, and resilient, Green maybe, but Not those two. Not me. They make it seem like we are freaking dying out here, using the 96, which is not the case. Maybe some riders on the 502 may be "suffering," but i dont see anybody raising an eyebrow at the 96, sure. Bus gets full once here and there, awesome. Thats life. I bet more people wpuld have something to complain about when 104 and KGB are being heavily kicked in the ass, affecting traffic everywhere.  Comparing the 96 vs Skytrain, would be ridiculous, because the skytrain, would be simply the answer to B-Line takeover, as it has been in the past (97,98) , the 96 can do everything better if the level of care went into the thought of BRT rather than some stupid light rail p.o.c... Long term, funding Maybe not so much... However, it never really mattered before, so what is the point in getting gungho about being green and innovative now.... It only matters when some politicians have their nose so far up the next dudes ass, but when the public needs something, we cant wait. Its Not a big deal. Please. 

Common sense isnt so common. Or maybe im just a total idiot..? Honestly at this point. Im convinced im stupiid, and i think im okay with that. End of the day, youre wasting resources thay could carefully be plamned, but instead somebody has a great idea, and now its important,  and thats enough for me. Rant over. Im gonna go and put my head back where the sun doesnt shine.

• Like 5

104th Avenue is congested by traffic heading into Langley and Abbotsford. Truck traffic also relies on the route and it serves as a throughfare when the SFPR is closed/extremely congested.

104th needs to see lane additions. Instead...we will likely see more congestion with this LRT.

Funny how these videos paint an ideal urban landscape...colorful, spacious and lacking traffic.