CAD buses

I wonder about this because there are about

80 buses that are in service without CAD all the 1993's and Classic's, will these all be parked ?

As well as some of the latest XD40's. But I'm sure they will just be run without it then until it gets installed.

I wonder about this because there are about

80 buses that are in service without CAD all the 1993's and Classic's, will these all be parked ?

Since they are retiring the classics, they might run them still without CAD. As for the 1993's, im unsure of. They are retiring them as well so they might remain in service

7963 has no CAD. Not sure why. It drives better then most buses out of AG.

As an operator I find those announcements very annoying. Some of the AG 8000s already have announcement for "stop requested". Easy way to disable it along with any other announcements is to turn down all the volumes after logging in and then don't shut off bus otherwise you will have to repeat.

The online tracker will likely just show scheduled times (and indicate as such) for trips being operated by non-equipped buses. It's a pretty standard feature and I'm sure Calgary's system is no different. In any case, it doesn't sound like the online tracker component will be launched Monday, just the next stop announcements. Proper press release tomorrow, apparently.

Since 7964-7980 are the same batch as 7963, do 7964-7980 have the CAD system? I believe in an earlier post someone mentioned another one of these does have CAD, but I am trying to find confirmation. Thanks.

7963 is the only one without.

There are some AG 7500s that don't have cad either. One of them (either 7576 or 7567) doesn't have a camera either.

7691 didn't have CAD either last time that I drove it. Had same bus a few days in a row.

User in question questioned winnipeger units (7963-7980) which my response is based off of. Doing some digging overnight, approximately 15 random 40 foot units, not getting cad, currently without it installed. Most, if not all xd60s appear to not have installed. Also approximately 20-25 shuttles do not have installed.

Most of the winnipeggers have their Emergency Alarm failing when CAD boots up. Hopefully doesn't fail when an operator actually needs it

Often times, that is because the EA switch is already in the active position when the bus is started, as there is no red cover over the EA switch on the winnipegers.

Real-time bus information system update

Starting Monday, Aug. 4, we will begin testing the first component of our real-time bus information system. Buses will be equipped to make onboard audio/visual announcements advising customers of upcoming stops along their route.

Earlier this summer we successfully tested this component with out-of-service buses. Now we are ready to test how the system performs on our entire fleet while in service.

Although we don’t anticipate major discrepancies between what is announced/displayed and the stop location, customers are encouraged to inform their bus driver if they hear or see an incorrect stop displayed or announced.

What will the real-time bus information system do?

When fully implemented, the real-time bus information system will not only provide stop announcements on buses but also real-time bus arrival times. Currently only scheduled bus times are available to customers. The real-time bus arrival information will eventually be available through our website, teletext and teleride.

The real-time schedule information component of the system will be tested this fall and the full system is expected to launch later this year.

So far I have rode the Route 14 (on bus #7949) and the Route 3 (on bus #7781) and I have yet to see the announcements working. I assert it will take a while before the system fully functions on all routes/buses.

Does anybody know which 200 buses are the ones to have the system functioning today?

That's a good question. 1777, 7709, 7723, 7728, 7856, 7958 all don't (seem to) have announcements. These are all VP buses, though, so perhaps the ones with announcements enabled are SG buses?

Let us know what you find out. :)

I rode 7824, 6004, and 6062 today, on routes 2 and 3. None had working stop announcements, but it seemed as though their systems had been updated: time & date was displayed in regular case, and "Stop Requested" text flashed noticeably faster than normal. They all had running boards displaying on the OrbStar.

I'm not sure if it is only certain routes that currently have stop announcements enabled, or none at all. The 2 and 3 would seem like obvious choices as they are busy mainline routes. I rode 7959 with working stop announcements on both the 2 and the 3, so the announcements should already be set up for those routes.

DSC00234 - crop.jpg

#7781 on the 14 with announcements working!!! It only announced "Approaching: Somerset-Bridlewood Station", no other stops.

EDIT: #1741 on the 79 does too! This time announcing several more stops (time points). The small speaker doesn't do a very good job at the audio announcements as it is very quiet but the visual is working excellently. I will have a video up later tonight.